What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.260.21 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I just released build 3.0.0.4.260.21 to Github (the Lostrealm website will be updated later today) for all three routers. The main changes of this build are the re-base on build 260, the addition of options to force your router to become your network's master browser, and various bugfixes.

Being able to force your router into becoming your network's master browser will help people who have random issues where there see no computers appear when they attempt to browser their network under Windows.
This is configurable on the same page as the Workgroup and device name can be configured.

Build 260 doesn't seem to bring many changes versus 246. Some of the fixes were already in 246.20 (like the DMZ field that couldn't be cleared). A saw quite a few changes related to AiCloud, and they also fixed the issue some Russian users had with their ISP that were using a VPN connection for Internet access.

Finally, there is an RT-N16 release available. I got very limited feedback from users testing it (only one single user offered to betatest it actually), but it seems that Stealth Mode mostly works, except for the USB led that can sometime turn itself back on.

full changelog can be found on http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/changelog.txt.

The focus of the next release will be rebasing on any new release Asus might have available at the time (I see they just released 3.0.0.4.314 for the DSL-N55U, no GPL code available at this point however), and the implementation of another often requested feature (more details once I complete my initial tests to confirm that it can be done in time for the next release).

Last edited:
Would you recommend upgrading to this mate from your last release ?

Cant say I've noticed anything wrong with your last release lol

But the bit about it overwriting rmerlin firmware has me worried!

Would you recommend upgrading to this mate from your last release ?

Cant say I've noticed anything wrong with your last release lol

But the bit about it overwriting rmerlin firmware has me worried!

The overwriting bit is only if you were to accept the upgrade offer when it would appear during the Quick Internet Setup - there is no risk of it happening automatically. It's more to ensure that a user wouldn't mistakenly think this was referring to an Asuswrt-Merlin update.

I think it's worth upgrading due to the couple of minor fixes here and there, although there was no really major issues resolved by this build. There were also some issues that Asus has fixed with build 260 that I didn't mention. I saw some code changes related to AiCloud, for example.

Thanks will test this one now

No new Broadcom drivers yet then ?
Jeremy at Asus onformed me that it is the pipeline.

Asus hasn't released any new version yet, last news I got was that they were still testing it/working on it.

The 260 GPL is the same code as the firmware released 2-3 weeks ago by Asus, it was released later than usual.

Latest version 260.21 Bricked my Rt-AC66U

Eric

I upgraded to 260.21 and bricked my RT-AC66U. Any suggestion how to unbrick my router. I can't ping the device. The radio lights are out, the power light slowly blinks. I connected my pc via a wired Ethernet port and the port light is illuminated. I tried resetting (powering up with reset button depressed).

I never had problems installing previous FW updates.

If the Power light on the router is blinking then it means the router is in recovery mode. Use the Firmware Recovery tool from the Asus CD to reflash.

You can also try setting your computer's IP to 192.168.1.2, and then access the mini web interface at http://192.168.1.1 .

Make sure you didn't accidentally flash the wrong firmware version. I have an RT-AC66U myself as my main router, and it was flashed with the actual firmware file before I zipped and and uploaded it online.

EDIT: I just redownloaded and reflashed my router again to be 200% sure there wasn't a problem with the zipped version, and everything went fine. My guess are that you might have flashed the N16 or N66U version, or the flash might have been interrupted (router being out of memory or something like that). There should be no problem reflashing it in recovery mode, even if it was only half-flashed somehow.

I recommend people reboot their router before flashing it, to ensure they clear out the memory in case something have had eaten all the free memory. If it fails, recovery mode should always be able to recover your router. Believe me, I've done a few really botched flashes during my tests over the months :)

Last edited:
I got the impression that it was coming an update of the drivers before the end of 2012.
Anyway I updated my RT-AC66U tó f/w .21 from .20 without any problems. Did not reboot before flashing but did a rebooy afterwards.

Asus hasn't released any new version yet, last news I got was that they were still testing it/working on it.

The 260 GPL is the same code as the firmware released 2-3 weeks ago by Asus, it was released later than usual.

I flashed this release to my RT-N66U and it works correctly, but I'm not more able to login to DownloadMaster: I already updated it to latest version but the interface is non more accepting my credentials. I know it's running as I can access transmission through port 9091, and the ps command from telnet lists all the relevant processes as active, but I cant='t login to port 8081, user and pass are refused as not valid.
I had a quick look to Nvram content and DownloadMaster scripts, but the only references I see in the scripts are to the http user and pass (which do work for accessing the router) and I found no specific reference to downloadmaster password in nvram.

How can I solve the issue? I don't want to remove downloadmaster and load Transmission from optware untill the firmware will not be stabilized and, in addition to that, I saw that the repo has been updated and now transmission is at version 2.73 and no more at version 2.61, so I'm not sure that the tutorial published in this forum still works.

I flashed this release to my RT-N66U and it works correctly, but I'm not more able to login to DownloadMaster: I already updated it to latest version but the interface is non more accepting my credentials. I know it's running as I can access transmission through port 9091, and the ps command from telnet lists all the relevant processes as active, but I cant='t login to port 8081, user and pass are refused as not valid.
I had a quick look to Nvram content and DownloadMaster scripts, but the only references I see in the scripts are to the http user and pass (which do work for accessing the router) and I found no specific reference to downloadmaster password in nvram.

How can I solve the issue? I don't want to remove downloadmaster and load Transmission from optware untill the firmware will not be stabilized and, in addition to that, I saw that the repo has been updated and now transmission is at version 2.73 and no more at version 2.61, so I'm not sure that the tutorial published in this forum still works.

I just upgraded and experienced the same situation. Set the Download Master to Disable. (I then upgraded the service but you indicated you are at the latest version.) Then Enable the Download Master service. Should restore your connectivity for the Transmission GUI.

Users of the original Asus firmware also had this issue with Download Master. Often it can be resolved by disabling/upgrading/re-enabling.

If that still fails, then uninstall Download Master and reboot. After rebooting, delete the asusware directory from your USB disk, then re-install Download Master.

I suspect this is caused by a recent Dowload Master update that Asus released at the same time as 3.0.0.4.260.

Being able to force your router into becoming your network's master browser will help people who have random issues where there see no computers appear when they attempt to browser their network under Windows.
This is configurable on the same page as the Workgroup and device name can be configured.

i can seem to find that option at all

Cold boot or is a warm boot sufficient?

Warm boot is sufficient. It's just to ensure that RAM isn't already filled with logs and memory leaks of all kind.

One of the AiCloud components tends to grow pretty high in RAM usage over time. I haven't seen yet if that was fixed in 260 (I'd need to stop rebooting my router for a week to be able to tell :) )

Latest version 260.21 Bricked my Rt-AC66U

If the Power light on the router is blinking then it means the router is in recovery mode. Use the Firmware Recovery tool from the Asus CD to reflash.

You can also try setting your computer's IP to 192.168.1.2, and then access the mini web interface at http://192.168.1.1 .

Make sure you didn't accidentally flash the wrong firmware version. I have an RT-AC66U myself as my main router, and it was flashed with the actual firmware file before I zipped and and uploaded it online.

EDIT: I just redownloaded and reflashed my router again to be 200% sure there wasn't a problem with the zipped version, and everything went fine. My guess are that you might have flashed the N16 or N66U version, or the flash might have been interrupted (router being out of memory or something like that). There should be no problem reflashing it in recovery mode, even if it was only half-flashed somehow.

I recommend people reboot their router before flashing it, to ensure they clear out the memory in case something have had eaten all the free memory. If it fails, recovery mode should always be able to recover your router. Believe me, I've done a few really botched flashes during my tests over the months :)

Eric thanks, I was unable to unbrick the router, I reinstalled 260.20. The firmware that brick the router was the correct one. I wonder if it was corrupted in the zip,unzip or when it was loaded on the router. I will try again later. Thanks so much.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!