What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Successfully installed 374.41 beta2. No issues so far. Thank you Merlin!

Working good here too. Ship it!

Thanks for the new build!

On the wireless side (RT-AC68U): I observed a strange behavior on the 4x Versions (at least the two last - 40 B4 and 41 B1). When I have the Merlin Version running, my Wifi range breaks down (even renew the settings on the client etc. does not help). It is down by 40-50% (on both: 2.4 and 5 Ghz).
As soon as I install the ASUS firmware (5047), all is back to normal and I get a good range.
When moving back to any 4x Version, I have range problems again.
This can be repeated endless times, with a software reset and also with a hard-reset.
On versions 3x, the difference was also there, but much less (about 10%).
Any Idea?

Thanks,
Joerg

Last edited:
When switching to Asuswrt-Merlin without a factory default reset, then the OpenVPN server gets automatically started because, unlike Asus, I handle PPTP and OpenVPN servers separately (meaning you could even have both started at the same time).

I just wanted to be sure... After upgrading to Merlin firmware, the only way to turn off the OpenVPN server is to do a factory default reset. Correct?

I just wanted to be sure... After upgrading to Merlin firmware, the only way to turn off the OpenVPN server is to do a factory default reset. Correct?

No need to. Just go to the VPN Server page, select OpenVPN, then turn it off.

Astrill VPN not working properly

Hi Merlin.

I was perfectly running Astrill VPN on my RT-AC68R using 374.39, but it is acting up since I upgraded to 374.41 beta 1/beta 2.

If the router is rebooted, it will automatically connect to my "saved" Astrill VPN server, but if I disconnect from it, then select a another server, and then click on the Connect button nothing happens. Also if I click on the Refresh button, the Updating list popup will keep spinning for ever.

The Save button doesn't work either.

Please advise.

Hi Merlin.

I was perfectly running Astrill VPN on my RT-AC68R using 374.39, but it is acting up since I upgraded to 374.41 beta 1/beta 2.

If the router is rebooted, it will automatically connect to my "saved" Astrill VPN server, but if I disconnect from it, then select a another server, and then click on the Connect button nothing happens. Also if I click on the Refresh button, the Updating list popup will keep spinning for ever.

Please advise.

The cmd page has been removed from Asus for security reasons. Check out this thread. You might have to reinstall: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=16797

Hi Merlin.

Please advise.

I have no idea how that plugin is designed.

Hi Merlin.

Please advise.
I got this straight from Astrill on Twitter. I would uninstall the applet and then run the command using SSH:http://blog.astrill.com/index.php/2011/02/17/astrill-openvpn-on-dd-wrt-web-install/

I got this straight from Astrill on Twitter. I would uninstall the applet and then run the command using SSH:http://blog.astrill.com/index.php/2011/02/17/astrill-openvpn-on-dd-wrt-web-install/

Thank you for your input wbennett77.

I Factory Reset my router, then followed the instructions provided on the Astrill Blog, but the issue I reported still persists:

The Connect and Save buttons won't work at all once the router is rebooted after finishing the Astrill Applet installation.

I will contact Astrill support regarding this issue.

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 Beta 1 is now available for download.

UPDATE: Beta 2 now available, with a fix for the Comcast firewall rule

Here are the highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus's 374_5047 GPL (from the RT-AC68U). This release resolves the random reboot issues on the RT-AC68U, redesigns the DLNA/FTP/SMB server configuration pages, option to auto-logout of webui after timeout, and updates minidlna and radvd to their latest releases. Asus also implemented numerous additional security fixes since the last release.
  • Miniupnpd has been updated to the latest release, which adds PCP (Port Control Protocol) support. Note that only MAP requests are supported.
  • A new option has been added to enable/disable WAN access to the FTP server. This option can be found on the FTP tab (under USB). Note that the default is to disable WAN access. If you remotely access your FTP server, make sure you enable WAN access to it.
  • The WOL page has been fixed (it was broken in a recent Asus release)
  • An experimental workaround for Comcast IPv6 users has been implemented in the firewall. Please report your results in regard to neighbor solicitation request floods.
  • Crashes surrounding the OpenVPN page, using more than 30 static routes, as well as issues surrounding IPTV multicast support and the web interface in languages using UTF8 (such as Russian) have been resolved
  • For security reasons, the Run CMD page has been removed. In the last few releases Asus has been tightening security in the web server backend, restricting what processes can be launched by it through the webui. Since keeping the Run Cmd page would basically overset all these security improvements, I have decided to remove it. Using putty/XShell4/ssh isn't difficult, and well worth the security improvements.
  • And since I still get asked a lot: Asuswrt-Merlin is NOT vulnerable to Heartbleed. None of the previous versions are vulnerable either.

Things that need testing:

• Comcast IPv6 customers: see if you still get neighboor solicitation flooding in your log. I've had mitigated reports, some saying it was resolved for them, others saying it still wasn't.
  • General stability and reliability, since there's a new GPL merge involved with this release (covering two releases from Asus). I fixed some of the new issues introduced already (some were caused by the new security measures implemented by Asus), but I want to make sure there aren't any additional ones I might have missed

As usual, wireless stability is something completely out of my control. If you have issues, start by disabling Beamforming support on BOTH radio bands, in case your clients might simply not be compatible. If you still have issues, go through the usual: check the channel you are using, don't use 40 MHz channel width if your 2.4 GHz band is overcrowded, delete and recreate the wireless connection profile on your clients, and as a last resort try a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration. A LOT of so-called issues can be resolved by these steps, and they have nothing to do with the router's wireless driver itself.

Changelog is here.
Downloads are here.

MD5Sums:
Beta 1
Code:
b2bf56de916d461adb44d2b6b7d28322  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta1.trx
4c2898b36e2f65c1f18261f326390aa9  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta1.trx
f17f7d511ab25f2efe0c066cf4334353  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta1.trx
13e38396faef1b4cdfb9a372dc4337c1  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta1.trx
0913c955c2f3daac74bcd86ca589b537  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta1.trx

Beta2
Code:
5cbf2b92c1c313a6b872235c0b49b4b1  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta2.trx
c5536984ed3c0d1f291ac32a6bfc5883  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta2.trx
8c686dc52eb197a7cecf38c42fa71678  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta2.trx
271348e576c16d2eee8c92e555606d7a  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta2.trx
e5fb1f0a99da1c9518ac76060ae4c4ac  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.41_beta2.trx

So..., 374.41 is full FW, not a Beta anymore?:confused:

Yes ! Why is there a problem ?

Nah, no problema amigo, just trying to figure out, what's what! Until yesterday 370.41 was showing as Beta 2, that's all. ;)

I'm running Asus' .5047 with NO issues what so ever, trying to see what's available from the Merlin side, if 370.41 ain't a BETA anymore, I might consider it. :D

Last edited:
Thanks..... I would also like to , if you could include adblock options to the firmware.

Never going to happen. For starter, have you noticed that the site that is currently freely hosting this support forum is funded by ads? I'm not going to develop an ad-blocking product, and expect Tim to keep hosting us for free at the same time.

Never going to happen. For starter, have you noticed that the site that is currently freely hosting this support forum is funded by ads? I'm not going to develop an ad-blocking product, and expect Tim to keep hosting us for free at the same time.

Good point! :D

I have error in Time Machine:
"The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Also my ext HDD never stops spinning...

same happens to me on 374.41, not happening in 374.40alpha4.
Any solution?