What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a RT-N66U that is on stock firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_3264. I am trying to flash with merlin for the first time but I keep getting the unsuccessful pop-up each time. I don't have any USB devices plugged in, I've rebooted the router several times, checksum is all good, and I've tried 1 version back as well. Still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-firmware-will-change-the-verification-method.32357/
Code:
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3264
ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-firmware-will-change-the-verification-method.32357/
Code:
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3264
ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

Thanks. LOL the best part is that I updated to that firmware right before trying to flash merlin. I don't know what compelled me to do it. sigh.

Thanks. LOL the best part is that I updated to that firmware right before trying to flash merlin. I don't know what compelled me to do it. sigh.
Try to use asus recovery tool, maby that work or RMA it

With 1 or 2 alpha and probly 1 or 2 beta, dont expect for it soon ;)

Right 380.59 final was just released i think last Sunday. It will be some time before there is another final and looking at all the bug reports in 59 it may be even longer. And then 380.60 will probably be merged in with Asus no go back code so things are changing in the firmware world should be interesting to say the least.

Make sure the media server is enabled. Also see previous posts in this thread explaining how to reset your database.
I had the same problem with Minidlna. It looks that multicast snooping option has to be disabled in kernel to make broadcast packages go through bridged interface.
I've appended following lines to my services-start script:

#Disable multicast snooping
echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping

and now my DLNA server is visible by all devices at home. Before that there were constant problems, it was sometimes visible, sometimes not.

With the Recovery Tool from Asus(included with the cd in the box or on the Website) , it should work
Downgrading from GUI dont work
This would be a great thing to know, as Linksys has locked their routers down since January (at least the EA8500), and absolutely no going back on that at all.

This would be a great thing to know, as Linksys has locked their routers down since January (at least the EA8500), and absolutely no going back on that at all.

It works for the latest version (3.0.0.4.380.3264) using the Recovery mode (not the gui). Any later 'official' version may not be so forgiving.

I have a feeling there's going to be lots of questions about downgrading firmware soon. Probably time for a sticky.

and there no place in sources where this err message "live"??? probably just grep them? For just to know from which side "blow the winds"

The error message is in a generic function that gets called by multiple other portions of the code.

hmmm... changed "Log only messages more urgent than" from "all" to "info". seems to be ok now - no more "un-locking" seen

That's because it's a DEBUG level message.

I have a feeling there's going to be lots of questions about downgrading firmware soon. Probably time for a sticky.

Asus already made a stick with their information. I don't have any additional information myself to add yet.

That error message was just added in Merlin's March 5 merge with 380_2345, logged with priority debug. My guess is that a process still has a write to a file in process such that it can't unlock it. One thing that could be tried is to add the id of the file descriptor to the error message to see what file is involved. (@RMerlin)

The recent 32xx GPL had an interesting comment in a section of the code (I forgot which, it was just a quick diff during lunch time) mentionning a potential racing condition related to locks. The workaround they seemed to implement involved leaking a lock...

The error message is in a generic function that gets called by multiple other portions of the code.
ok. Thanks for clarification!

The recent 32xx GPL had an interesting comment in a section of the code (I forgot which, it was just a quick diff during lunch time) mentionning a potential racing condition related to locks. The workaround they seemed to implement involved leaking a lock...

So, if I right understand, another "fresh" firmware with 32xx GPL merged, can have some kind of workaround/solution for this annoying messages?

ok. Thanks for clarification!

So, if I right understand, another "fresh" firmware with 32xx GPL merged, can have some kind of workaround/solution for this annoying messages?

I'm not sure, I didn't study the new code.

Thanks for the input! :) It's something with my router then. I did do a full factory reset so I think I'm doing everything "by the book".

Do you get 5ghz networks as well? Both my radios work but I've only ever gotten hits on the 2.4ghz-network.

Both active/passive with my RT-AC87U but did not find any 5Ghz,

Passive
upload_2016-5-19_19-59-8.png

Active
upload_2016-5-19_20-0-47.png

Think I found my new stable version. Was using 378.56_2 because every build I updated would have issues with streaming within my local network. Like clockwork decided to try this version out. Working great so far. Using RT-AC3200. Thanks @RMerlin !!!

I'm attempting to upgrade the AC68U firmware on a TM-AC1900 from version 380.57 of the Merlin firmware to 380.59, but getting the "firmware upgrade unsuccessful" error.

I've unplugged the USB drives from the device and rebooted, but the error still occurs. The router reports 188MB free memory. I've also attempted using the 380.58 firmware just to verify it wasn't the .59 file, but encountered the same error.

I take it my options here are either to factory reset and flash, or to use the Asus firmware restore utility to flash the router. With the upgrade just going from .57 to .59, I'd been planning on a dirty flash to avoid losing settings (large list of static assignments, and a handfull of scripts/server configs.) I don't mind backing up/restoring, but was hoping to avoid the time.

So that leads me to my questions -
  • Is there anything I may be overlooking that would be causing this problem, before attempting either of the above routes? (factory reset or firmware restore tool.)
  • Is the firmware restore tool for the AC68U safe to use on a TM-AC1900? (I've had it since they launched the T-Mobile version of the device. I was an early enough user that I was just able to flash the Merlin firmware through its web ui, never had to deal with the restore tool.)

I've upgraded to ver. 380.59 and quickly noticed that I'm not getting the full speed in my connections.

Currently I have a Gig connection with speedtest results ranging from 900 Mbps - 974 Mbps.

The firmware 380.59 beta appeared to work fine and then once it came out of beta I updated the new 380.59 firmware and noticed my speeds maxed out at 500-600 Mbps.

Speeds went back to normal when I directly wired into my PC and bypassed the router.

I factory reset the 380.59 release and tweaked a few settings and get the same 500-600 Mbps results.

The only solution I've found so far was to downgrade to 380.58 as it works fine.

Just a heads up! Any possible solutions?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!