What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RMerlin wrote- Direct upgrade from 384.18 or 384.19 should be fine, but be prepared to do a factory default reset if something does not work as expected.

How about if going from 384.17 ? Just looking for thoughts and/or recommendations. I know I can always factory reset and go to 386.1 that way, but looking to save a little time if direct upgrade is doable.

Bill

I repeatedly get some of these messages. No mesh in use:
Code:
kernel: <mac-removed> not mesh client, can't update it's ip

Any idea how to fix it?

Upgraded 10 hours ago from stock 386 to latest M version of 386 on AX88U, 32 clients, no mesh nodes. Everything is nicely uneventful, and working well. Dirty upgrade. Did reboot router, but did not reset it.

One question for anyone who cares to answer. I've noticed in the past that if I turn on 160 bandwidth, 5g becomes unstable. I think it might have something to do with the channels it selects. 20/40/80 works uneventfully. Is there a setting I should tweak for 160, or just leave that off?

Code:

Any idea how to fix it?
I get that message with one of my amazon echos, I'm guessing because it gets it's ip from my other echo (edit - not ip, but that the echos act as their own mesh), hasn't caused any problems from what I can tell, if that device is in a similar topology you probably don't need to worry about it.

Last edited:
Look higher on your page. They have been moved to the new "DHCP Option" section as Asus added them upstream, and I wanted to use the same location as them.

@RMerlin I'm sorry but I don't see any "DHCP Option" section at the top of the page. Where exactly are they now?

Schermata 2021-01-31 alle 22.30.04.png

HW Acceleration has different info now:

Archer: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled

It used to be different in last version. What's Archer? In the past HW acceleration was limited when using AiProtection and/or QoS, but now it seems to be fully on even with that. False status info or a new change with this new version?

Upgraded to 386.1 after a full reset on both units. The only issue is roam assist is “dumber” in this version than in 384.19. The clients seem real sticky even running the same roam assist settings I was using in 384.19. I will let it run for a few days and see what heppens.

UPDATE: It seems 386.1 is settling in. The AiMesh system seems to be working much better now. :)

Code:

Any idea how to fix it?
I'm seeing these as well on my router.

By the way, what is your Trend Micro: Signature version at the moment? Mine is 2.212 and seems it has not been updated for ages.

Anyway. Dirty Upgrade from 384.19 on the RT-AC68U. Everything went smoothly.

This was another browser compatibility issues. Just before I followed @L&LD advice and do a firmware recovery tool, I tried in actual Chrome browser instead of my default edge (which too is based on same Chromium code). Looks like Asus tested this page only with Chrome, and with chrome it worked just fine.

I used Microsoft Edge browser. No problems with me.

I've been running 384.19 since it was release without issues on a RT-AC68U V2. Decided to try a 'dirty' upgrade to 386.1 but unfortunately 5 GHz wifi was very unstable after the upgrade. Connection dropped every few minutes.

Reloaded 384.19 and did a factory default reset (I.E. power on holding WPS button), restored jffs and config from backups and router running smoothly again.

I didn't have time to do a full reconfig on 386.1 but a 'dirty' upgrade was not successful for me.

I only use 5 GHz, so I must monitor if it is working OK or not for me. I just rebooted my router so haven't been able to test 5 GHz functionality yet.

Upgrade from 386.1 Beta 5 to 386.1 (final) went fine on my RT-AC86u.

Was planning to do a factory reset this evening, but it already took me the entire night to just write down what I have to re-do... (a project with 27 tasks so far)

And I still haven't captured all current settings in screenshots.... Any tips on how to do that efficient (in Firefox), especially with pages that require scrolling?

Last edited:
@Protik, you can see if saving a backup config file and then resetting your router via the appropriate WPS method, then restoring the backup works.

If it doesn't clear any more space for you, then you know what to expect when you do update to 386.1 final. :)

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Update/Reset Guide 2021

Thanks. I tried restoring the config, but didn't go very well. So factory reset the router and did everything from scratch. How long one can try to avoid the inevitable? Not too long it seems.

I factory reset my router, upgraded to 386.1 and configured everything from scratch. After connecting back my flash drive, there's two Addons menu. Any idea on how I can get rid of one?

asus_merlin_386.1_two_addons_tab.PNG

Code:

Any idea how to fix it?
On the betas I found that this is caused by Tend Micro. Turning off individual Trend Micro services didn't solve it, but withdrawing my permission on the Privacy page stopped it.

Upgrade from 386.1 Beta 5 to 386.1 (final) went fine on my RT-AC86u.

Was planning to do a factory reset this evening, but it already took me the entire night to just write down what I have to re-do... (a project with 27 tasks so far)

And I still haven't captured all current settings in screenshots.... Any tips on how to do that efficient (in Firefox), especially with pages that requires scrolling?
Firefox Menu>File>Save Page As and then choose "Web page, complete" (it is the default choice). I am doing this since 2013 :) Just to note that some fields then remain "hidden" when you open the relevant .htm/.html file, but when you select them they become visible.

This method is much better then screen capture not only because it is solving the scrolling problem, but also because you may use copy/paste from saved pages to web gui.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have done a dirty upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1 on my RT-AC86U without any observable (so far) issues).

My CPU temperature only increased by 3°C (from 69°C to 72°C) :)

Thanks to @RMerlin, @themiron and all the participating "debuggers" for making this possible.

ColDen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!