What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I verified the problems that I reported here, having done factory reset after uploading 386.2, and they are still the same on my RT-AC68P:
  1. With Adaptive QoS, when one LAN client is uploading, the ping on others goes from 12ms to 1,000+ ms
  2. With Traditional QoS, problem #1 disappears, but download from USB3-attached network storage slows down from 12MB/sec to 300KB/sec
  3. Neither problem exists with ASUS native firmware RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_386_41994-g769f84f

Known issues:

• WAN/firewall issues on some models (mostly RT-AC88U/AC3100/AC5300 so far). (nvram pointer corruption when creating firewall rules, fixed in beta 2)

In another thread we've been discussing issues with WAN DHCP apparently not functioning correctly on 386.1_2 - any idea if this is going to be addressed in the new build?

Thanks

In another thread we've been discussing issues with WAN DHCP apparently not functioning correctly on 386.1_2 - any idea if this is going to be addressed in the new build?

Thanks
I'm not aware of any recent change to DHCP.

I'm not aware of any recent change to DHCP.

WAN DHCP is failing to renew causing loss of internet after a couple days. Especially noticeable with FIOS and others with short leases.

This is what is seen in the log:
Mar 8 01:50:56 lldpd[251]: removal request for address of x.x.x.x (my wan IP) %4, but no knowledge of it
Mar 8 01:50:56 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

they do not belong in this beta thread
For my understanding: is the rise in temperature not considered a bug then? I understand it clutters your beta thread and I certainly didn't want to start another discussion (as stated in my post). And yes, I'm sorry for adding temperature related 'noise' to your beta thread.

Minor thing i noticed:
The system clock was off by an hour. I am in time zone GMT+01 but the clock was set to GMT+02. I noticed this when i was looking at the system log.
Changed back to GMT and hit apply then changed back to GMT+01 and hit apply. Now it's fine.

Minor thing i noticed:
The system clock was off by an hour. I am in time zone GMT+01 but the clock was set to GMT+02. I noticed this when i was looking at the system log.
Changed back to GMT and hit apply then changed back to GMT+01 and hit apply. Now it's fine.
Same happened on my end too.

Hi, I have the Asus RT-AX58U and have been experiencing the "no internet" issue also when upgrading to 386.2 Beta and the latest Alpha (386.2_alpha2) which doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. When i roll back to 386.1 all is well again. I use my Synology NAS (LAN device) as my DNS/DHCP server and i have had this set within the WAN and LAN sections (i.e. I have "Connect to DNS server automatically" unchecked and the IP of my NAS set for DNS). In these latest beta/alpha updates When i "check" the Connect to DNS server automatically option to use upstream ISP DNS and apply it the internet starts working again. Not sure if having my local DNS server on WAN page is the correct thing to do or not but have noticed the latest updates breaks my manual setting here on the WAN settings page.

@RMerlin Is it possible to get your fix also for the RT-AX58U? (i can only see Beta2 for AC88U, AC3100 and AC5300) as this appears to be affected also by the corrupted firewall rules.

Last edited:
Same happened on my end too.
This also happened in my RT-AX88U. This morning the system time was off by 1 hour. But notice that I am running merlin 386.1_2, so the problem may not be with the beta or the latest SDK. One minor difference though is that in my case I've had to leave 'GMT' instead of 'GMT+1' which should be the correct timezone here in Spain. Note that my DST is correctly configured for march week 5 and I also tested to move the next DST change forward 1 month just to test if it was being applied prematurely, to no avail.

This also happened in my RT-AX88U. This morning the system time was off by 1 hour. But notice that I am running merlin 386.1_2, so the problem may not be with the beta or the latest SDK. One minor difference though is that in my case I've had to leave 'GMT' instead of 'GMT+1' which should be the correct timezone here in Spain. Note that my DST is correctly configured for march week 5 and I also tested to move the next DST change forward 1 month just to test if it was being applied prematurely, to no avail.

Today I noticed the same as you on my ac86u with 386.2 beta.
On administration settings I have this: "Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting" yet my time zone is set properly. I'm also using ntpmerlin intercepting not requests and my devices get the right time if I force update with network.

Minor thing i noticed:
Same and did the same.

Same here. I am also from Spain, and after seeing your post I went to see and the system was showing one hour more than it should be using the GMT+1. I had to set GMT (Casablanca) to get the correct time at the system log tab and to not to see the warning about system time and local time.

It is curious because I am using ntpMerlin with chrony and all the NTP traffic is going through ntpMerlin. All the devices were receiving the correct time with GMT+1 although the router (RT-AX88u) wasn’t.

I am still using firmware 386.1_2

What Damun said didn’t work for me.
Damun said:
Minor thing i noticed:

Today was the start of Daylight Saving Time in the U.S., so I wonder if there is something misconfigured in your time zone settings (or a bug) that is triggering the start of DST for time zones not supposed to change on the 2nd Sunday of March.
Code:
# nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep time_zone
time_zone=EST5DST
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone_x=EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

# cat /etc/TZ
EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx    1 rtradmin root            34 Mar 12 19:00 /etc/localtime -> /rom/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Hopefully you don’t see M3.2.0/2 if you’re not supposed to switch today.

Last edited:
I've just experienced some more strange goings on with my RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U nodes. Uptime was 2 days and I just had 2 different cameras go offline (1 slightly after the other) 1 is Ring, the other Nest. They seemed to be connected to WiFi but not getting DHCP addresses (although the System log looked like they had renewed normally). The AiMesh client list showed both devices greyed out with no IP address, just a MAC address, and status Disconnected.

I rebooted the node they are connected to but nothing immediately happened. While I was looking at the logs and thinking about my next move they both reconnected after a few minutes, so I'm guessing that rebooting the AiMesh node cleared something allowing them to get an IP address next time they tried.

Could the firewall rules corruption on the other models cause this kind of problem on my models?

Last edited:
@RMerlin Is it possible to get your fix also for the RT-AX58U? (i can only see Beta2 for AC88U, AC3100 and AC5300) as this appears to be affected also by the corrupted firewall rules.
The same fix will apply to all models, it's not model specific.

You need to check the content of /tmp/filter_rules to determine whether or not it is really the same issue.

For my understanding: is the rise in temperature not considered a bug then?
No, it's not a bug, and it's nothing new to 386.2 beta either. Already debated to death in previous releases.

Reactions: pmm
Today was the start of Daylight Saving Time in the U.S., so I wonder if there is something misconfigured in your time zone settings (or a bug) that is triggering the start of DST for time zones not supposed to change on the 2nd Sunday of March.
Code:
# nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep time_zone
time_zone=EST5DST
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone_x=EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

# cat /etc/TZ
EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx    1 rtradmin root            34 Mar 12 19:00 /etc/localtime -> /rom/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Hopefully you don’t see M3.2.0/2 if you’re not supposed to switch today.
I have an RT-AX88U with Merlin FW 386.1_2, and I am located in Spain. Today, the router time is one hour more than it should (it seems that it has changed today to summer time, although I have defined to do it last Sunday of March):
1615744453824.png

Now it should be 18:53, but the router indicates 19:53:
1615744406073.png

Yesterday it was OK, and there is nothing in the syslog stating that time has been changed ...

Sorry for writting in the beta thread, but it has been just to clarify that the problem is not in the 362 beta but also in the 386.1 FW.

Last edited:
No, it's not a bug, and it's nothing new to 386.2 beta either. Already debated to death in previous releases.
I hate to question your expertise, honestly, and this is the last I'll write about it as I can feel your frustration, but respectfully, with 386.1final the temp issue for me was solved and my temperature went back to 'normal' (below 87 degrees Celcius). I'm up to 94 degrees now with beta 1, with an ambient temperature of 20,9 degrees Celcius. On a router that's idle. That's why, for the first time in my life, I reported a temp issue in a beta thread. Somethings' up. And trust me, I don't even have the energy to debate any subject to death. But if there actually was a bug, which you clearly state it's not, and I hadn't reported it, I would feel really bad about it.

I hope you can take this the right way.

Best regards,
Marco

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!