What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is AiMesh 2.0 stable now on asuswrt-merlin? Also do you have to upgrade the clients also or will it work with the native AiMesh 2.0 on the clients? I am looking to upgrade to get rid of the bufferbloat problem with the standard firmware on my RT-AX86U.
I've been using AiMesh 2.0 since June 2020 and have had no issues. The main router (AC86U) is running Merlin and the AiMesh router (AC68P) is running the official firmware. The two routers are connected via Ethernet backhaul.

I've been using AiMesh 2.0 since June 2020 and have had no issues. The main router (AC86U) is running Merlin and the AiMesh router (AC68P) is running the official firmware. The two routers are connected via Ethernet backhaul.
Why do you run official stock on node? Any particular reason?

Just reporting - AC86U short Wi-Fi disconnections stopped with Asuswrt 45956, but I don't know if the Wi-Fi driver is the same. My test router has one only 5GHz wireless client and nothing else is attached to it. AC68U Wi-Fi works well in both Asuswrt 45987 and beta2, with the same wireless client.
I am finding the same. Was wondering if there is a new wifi blob in these releases.

@Elmer & @RDaneel and other folks experiencing IPV6 Native issues. Just out of curiosity are you using the Guest Network feature? I have had the same issue since Alpha2 but only with Guest Network 1 enabled. My previous post goes into further detail, but I have managed to get IPV6 working and have Guest Network 1 enabled by updating the IPV6 firewall rules.

Nope - not using guest networks.

Anybody running a AX series router getting the DCD Tainted logs? If you are, are you also running Diversion? Thanks I'm running the AX88U

Anybody running a AX series router getting the DCD Tainted logs? If you are, are you also running Diversion? Thanks I'm running the AX88U

isn't the DCD Tainted issue guaranteed to show up if you use Diversion + Pixelserv-TLS?

Okay Xbox shows this:
Modem direct LAN: IPV4 & IPV6 - Double NAT fine everything good
Merlin AX58U : IPV4 / Strict - No games will update plus cant DL anything (On The Xbox).
Again My PC and phone everything else okay.

isn't the DCD Tainted issue guaranteed to show up if you use Diversion + Pixelserv-TLS?
I didn't have the problem until I upgraded to this version of firmware. I didn't take part in the alpha. I just flashed the beta 1 and now 2 and Diversion with pixelserv-tls could be part of the problem. I was able to remove Diversion and it worked fine, no DCD Tainted logs.

I didn't have the problem until I upgraded to this version of firmware. I didn't take part in the alpha. I just flashed the beta 1 and now 2 and Diversion with pixelserv-tls could be part of the problem. I was able to remove Diversion and it worked fine, no DCD Tainted logs.

What logging levels are you using, example:

ASUS Router Log Levels .JPG

Native IPv6 and IPv6 DDNS are both working fine with my test setup.

Code:
May  5 01:05:30 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM update@asus.com, wan_unit 0
May  5 01:05:30 start_ddns: Clear ddns cache.
May  5 01:05:30 start_ddns: Start Inadyn.
May  5 01:05:30 inadyn[2567]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
May  5 01:05:30 inadyn[2567]: Failed resolving hostname merlintest.asuscomm.com: No address associated with hostname
May  5 01:05:30 inadyn[2567]: Update forced for alias merlintest.asuscomm.com, new IP# 10.10.10.100
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: Certificate verification error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid:depth=1:/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: Certificate verification error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: eth0 ipv6 address=<2001:470:1234:1::100>
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: alias address=<10.10.10.100>
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: request<GET /ddns/update.jsp?hostname=merlintest.asuscomm.com&myip=10.10.10.100&myipv6=2001:470:1234:1::100&model=RT-AX86U&fw_ver=3.0.0.4.386.4_beta2 HTTP/1.0^M Authorization: Basic MBLAHBLAH^M Host: ns1.asuscomm.com^M User-Agent: inadyn/2.9.1 https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues^M ^M >
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: [response_update]HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 06:14:24 GMT^M Server: Apache^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
May  5 01:05:31 inadyn[2567]: Updating cache for merlintest.asuscomm.com

Code:
admin@RT-AX86U-5F38:/tmp/home/root# dig merlintest.asuscomm.com -t aaaa @1.1.1.1 +short
2001:470:1234:1::100

Those with issues:

1) Do you use Asus's DDNS? It's the only one that supports IPv6 at this time
2) I'm confused as to why many of you get an error about ppp not having an IPv6 yet. Are you actually on native IPv6, or some other connection type? My test setup is IPv6 native, with a /64 prefix delegated to my router (out of my primary /48).
3) Getting an error about "interface has no valid IPv6" does not mean a permanent failure. It means the watchdog service will try again later, as your router might simply be taking too long to obtain a valid IPv6 from your ISP after boot. You have to check further down your log for future ddns retries. Also test your DDNS hostname by querying it (make sure to specify a AAAA type when you query it).

I have been experiencing the same issue since Alpha2 and I believe that the cause of the issue is an error in the auto-generated /tmp/filter_rules_ipv6 file on Ln 8 or Ln 21.

Code:
Ln 8->:PControls - [0:0]
Ln 21->-A FORWARD -i br1 -j WGNPControls

With guest network enabled, the rules fail to load due to an error at Ln 21 because the WGNPControls chain has not been defined. Because the rules fail to load, rules from /tmp/filter_ipv6.default remain in place which effectively disables IPV6 which I assume is the default configuration. If I update Ln 8 to :WGNPcontrols then load the rules using ip6tables-restore, the rules load just fine and IPV6 becomes fully functional. I've attached two versions of the filter_rules_ipv6 file, one with guest network on and one with guest network off. The only real difference between the two is that the -A FORWARD -i br1 -j WGNPControls line doesn't exist with guest network turned off which makes sense because the br1 interface doesn't exist.
Confirmed, the chain isn't created in the ipv6 tables.

Last edited:
@Elmer & @RDaneel and other folks experiencing IPV6 Native issues. Just out of curiosity are you using the Guest Network feature? I have had the same issue since Alpha2 but only with Guest Network 1 enabled. My previous post goes into further detail, but I have managed to get IPV6 working and have Guest Network 1 enabled by updating the IPV6 firewall rules.

As it happens, yes, I have enabled the guest network(s) - I have used what I assume is standard practice and have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz using the same SSID.

I had already read your "greater detail" previous post, and while it certainly sounds convincing, I must admit I am not qualified to judge whether it is the fix - but it does sound like Merlin is now All Over This(tm). :)

had this too in beta 1
The issue was probably introduced with a GPL merge - rc/firewall.c merges are always challenging because there is a lot of duplicate code, causing diff/patch to often merge code in the wrong locations.

I tested to enable the setting "Disable 11b" under 2.4 Ghz, but now I can't revert back (uncheck it) no matter how I try. It won't stick when I press "Apply".
Tried switching to the other "Wireless Modes", clearing browser cache, different browsers and private mode but no luck.

11b.png

Some other user have same problem. Had to reset and set it up agian. Saved config would be fine.
Do a console dump and post it (F12)
@iJorgen

Last edited:
Native IPv6 and IPv6 DDNS are both working fine with my test setup.

~~
Yes, me to: dig verifications / certificates etc and/or online tests by running an IPv4 DDNS Test here: https://tools.keycdn.com/ping and then an IPv6 DDNS Test here: https://tools.keycdn.com/ipv6-ping There's no issues at all with any of these, although I am still using Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3_2 firmware, not either of the latest Beta releases - yet. However, this is with me using No-IP not Asus as the DDNS provider (see below)

Those with issues:

1) Do you use Asus's DDNS? It's the only one that supports IPv6 at this time
Not sure if this ^^ note only relates to the beta firmware releases (?) as No-IP definitely do support IPv6 DDNS and have done for a while now - I'm using it (see above) and there's plenty of info on this at No-IP

installed stock "FW_RT_AX88U_300438645934", then hard reset with WPS, after that installed RT-AX88U_386.4_beta2_cferom_ubi.

ipv6 works (without vpn tested) set to "Passthrough", shows up under ipv6 systemprotocoll -> IPv6 Connection Type -> Disabled.

ipv6-test.com:
test.jpg

shows up as native.

some errors i received (full log attached):
Code:
Dec 26 11:58:18 wsdd2[1505]: error: wsdd-mcast-v6: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Dec 26 11:58:20 6relayd[1346]: Termination requested by signal.
Dec 26 11:58:20 rc_service: dhcp6c 6314:notify_rc restart_ddns
Dec 26 11:58:20 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_if 0;restart_stubby" via httpd ...
Dec 26 11:58:20 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] runnerUcast_inet6addr_event,187: Could not rdpa_system_ipv6_host_address_table_find ret=-5^[[0m
Dec 26 11:58:20 wsdd2[1505]: error: wsdd-mcast-v6: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Dec 26 11:58:20 wsdd2[1505]: error: wsdd-mcast-v6: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Dec 26 11:58:20 rc_service: udhcpc 6372:notify_rc start_dhcp6c
Dec 26 11:58:20 odhcp6c[6375]: Failed to send RS (Cannot assign requested address)
Dec 26 11:58:21 wan: finish adding multi routes
Dec 26 11:58:21 miniupnpd[1477]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Dec 26 11:58:21 odhcp6c[6377]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Cannot assign requested address)
May  5 07:16:30 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR mcast] bcm_mcast_netlink_process_snoop_cfg,884: interface 29 could not be found^[[0m
May  5 07:16:31 avahi-daemon[5033]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!