What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin mirror site available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This forum, like life, has gone through phases. Most good, some unfortunate.

Me, Im thankful that @RMerlin is still doing his work and magic, that @thiggins still keeps this forum alive and online.

For all the really bright and really skilled members that patiently (for the most part) answer questions and solve problems (@ColinTaylor , @eibgrad, @L&LD name a few) the fork folks - @john9527 and @GNUton ), Entware guys ( @ryzhov_al ) and of course the add-on artists (I’ll post a link that has all these engineers since the list is long ;-)

BTW, a few more that have extended these Asus routers well beyond that are not in the list above - @Martineau , @ZebMcKayhan , @Viktor Jaep , @sfx2000 - I‘m sure there are others I haven’t noted (my apologies in advance ;-)

We users/consumers/hobbyists are incredibly lucky to have an Asus Router or two/three and have this forum and members that make it not only better than when we bought it - but make it fun as well.

Thanks folks

PS: I do miss @Adamm

Me, Im thankful that @RMerlin is still doing his work and magic, that @thiggins still keeps this forum alive and online.

For all the really bright and really skilled members that patiently (for the most part) answer questions and solve problems (@ColinTaylor , @eibgrad, @L&LD name a few) the fork folks - @john9527 and @GNUton ), Entware guys ( @ryzhov_al ) and of course the add-on artists (I’ll post a link that has all these engineers since the list is long ;-)

BTW, a few more that have extended these Asus routers well beyond that are not in the list above - @Martineau , @ZebMcKayhan , @Viktor Jaep , @sfx2000 - I‘m sure there are others I haven’t noted (my apologies in advance ;-)

We users/consumers/hobbyists are incredibly lucky to have an Asus Router or two/three and have this forum and members that make it not only better than when we bought it - but make it fun as well.

Thanks folks

Hear, hear!

Thanks folks

Thank you so much, @JGrana ... beautifully worded. However, I truly don't deserve to be mentioned amongst these giants. They deserve all the credit... the art of their code is incredible, and feel like a complete amateur next to them. It's been a fun ride, and an educational learning experience, dealing with the intricacies of shell scripting, and am happy knowing someone besides myself is getting some benefit from these efforts... I think others would feel the same. I appreciate your note and encouragement very much. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, without Merlin's approval it is not a good idea. You are well intended but your security can not be proven. You may want to use the space for something else.
One would think that SourceForge has plenty of server capacity. Also RMerlins website is reared by a cloud hoster and his alpha releases are on Microsofts servers. In any case, download speed or capacity should not be a problem.

Maybe it is because many of the posters ignore the rules. Written and unwritten. Something like stop signs. They are just recommendations, right?

It is hard to believe that I have been around long enough to have the furniture moniker. Some days I think I, too, will just stop posting. Some will not miss me as I am getting more stubborn and opinionated in my old age. Having recently dodged COVID I am beginning to see that I have to enjoy life more. My mother, though, still says I am not old (she will be 99 this year). And I still enjoy playing with computers and hardware!
So, stay tuned. The younger folks may still evoke my wrath if Tim does not put me in the time out chair....
There should be a dusting feature for us old timers here. Maybe relax the rules or something. Could bring back some that have left the building.

There should be a dusting feature for us old timers here. Maybe relax the rules or something. Could bring back some that have left the building.
personally, my primary routing is moving over to pfsense, i just pulled the trigger on a parts order to build.

i will still be developing addons for Merlin, i'm hoping my brush with pfsense will give me ideas to port to Asus/Merlin

Hard opinions rarely fix problems or contribute to a more polished product... but that is just my 2c.

I listen to all types of opinions... then consider what i can do to improve the situation... and then do something.

Calling all armchair zero contibutors/experts! just wait until you see my next new thread in a few minutes lol.

Remember: "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." --Theodore Roosevelt

I had some free capacity on a server so created a mirror of the download area:

https://lightaffaire.com/mirror/asuswrt-merlin/

Iain
@lightaffaire Welcome to SNBForums.

This is, indeed, a tough crowd, tougher than I prefer to see.
Some of the "furniture" hold strong opinions and are not shy about stating them, over and over in many cases.

However, such seems to be life on the intertubes.

I have asked @RMerlin to post his position on this mirror, so that you can hear directly from the source. A clue is that he has already rejected a report that the mirror is a security threat.

I already miss your locomotive avatar and you're still here. :)
Actually the locomotive and I are both alive and well. The N&W 611 is three years younger than me and was fired up the other day for it's annual inspection.

@thiggins thank you for the welcome.

It seems a number of forum members have a good old case of "foaming at the mouth syndrome" but go real quiet once questioned or asked to provide a sound reasoning for their beliefs. I understand some of them may feel out of their depth when asked point blank why and can then no longer run with the pack.

@thiggins thank you for the welcome.

It seems a number of forum members have a good old case of "foaming at the mouth syndrome" but go real quiet once questioned or asked to provide a sound reasoning for their beliefs. I understand some of them may feel out of their depth when asked point blank why and can then no longer run with the pack.
Yes, I know. And your post just fans the flames.

Everyone: back to your corners and please post only if you have something useful to contribute. Enough with the sniping or I'll lock the thread.

There is enough crap going on in the world without adding to it here. Go somewhere else to blow off steam.

Speaking just for myself and not trying to convince anyone of anything, I like the atmosphere here. And the tougher the crowd, the better I like it. Up to a point, of course. And I continue to be incredibly grateful to all of the people who have built this wonderfully helpful firmware, addons, and forum. I don't mind being smacked around when I hit another branch on the stupid tree. I probably deserve it, I may learn something in spite of myself, and it can be as refreshing as an Isvak.

I already exchanged emails with @lightaffaire where I turned down his offer. While the offer is appreciated, I do not feel at this time that adding privately-managed mirrors is a good idea for this project.

I appreciate everyone's passion for this project, but there is no need to get aggressive. It was a genuine offer to help the project, no need to get nasty about the offer.

One year on SNB Forum is enough to lose interest. All the threads and questions repeat in an endless loop.
Isn't the same true of most technical forums? Forums where the first reply to nearly every new thread is "You didn't search first!" soon fade away... :(

Just wanted to add something:
With the help of Microsoft's global CDN resources, Onedrive should have no download problems.

And almost every time you download a file from SourceForge you use the nearest mirrors, these mirrors are run by volunteers all over the world, If you encounter download problems, you can click Problems Downloading? on the download page. This will give you a page to switch mirrors, you can just try other mirror sites.
sf.png

And you can join them to host the entire SourceForge (20-50 TB disk capacity required). If you are interested you can read how to do it here: https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Mirrors/ and https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Join as a Mirror/

In fact, I host stock firmware for many routers from asus, especially some popular models like RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, many firmwares have been removed from Asus' servers, which is why I host them. Because there is no reason for people to go back to older versions with security issues and bugs, and even some new hardware like RT-AC68U 1.4 GHz are not compatible with previous firmware, so I rarely share these firmwares of mine, just for those with specific needs friend.

I didn't try to host Asuswrt-Merlin for two reasons, first: RMerlin never removes firmware, so you can always download historical versions from SF, and second: SF has multiple mirrors. whether mirroring is necessary for the alpha version on onedrive is up to you, and who needs it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!