What's new

asuswrt on ac3100 vpn troubles

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BBE

Occasional Visitor
Hey all-

Trying to set up a basic vpn. Not nearly as knowledgeable as some of you folks. Basically I have a piece of equipment at one of my stores that has a standard web interface login that allows you to change all of the settings. You type the IP address assigned by the router and you are greeted with a "please type username and password" screen to log in and view the system settings.

So I need to be able to log into this piece of equipment and manipulate settings from anywhere. Prior to buying an ac3100 router, I had just an old netgear POS router, and I used of my pc's connected to the network running windows xp no less :) and created an "incoming connections, allow vpn etc.." connection, created username and password, applied the necessary encryption settings, then forwarded port 1723 to this pc and away I went, I was able to get onto my network from my smartphone with this PC assigning me an ip acting as the dhcp server. From there I could just type the address of this piece of equipment into a web browser and login and change any settings I needed to.

I was under the impression that with a router that supports being a vpn server, I could do away with the pc part of this equation, and no longer be logging into this old windows xp pc and having it act as the vpn server and assign an ip to my phone and have the router be the vpn server. I guess I envisioned just doing all of the same settings on the router itself, and having the router act exactly as the pc is acting.

Is this not how it is supposed to work?