What's new

Automatic Shutdown of Multiple NAS's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I am looking to setup multiple NAS's with a single UPS, enabling automatic shutdown of the NAS's when power is lost. Does anyone know if there is a way to split the USB cable from the UPS to multiple NAS's?

Thanks Tim - After reading the articles, I'm likely going to go down the simple but expensive path of buying multiple UPS's. Appreciate your help. -Dan

the readynas line can do this.

the ups gets connected to one nas and the other nas monitor the first nas via network. as soon as one nas starts shutting down due to low battery, all nas start shutting down.

the readynas line can do this.

the ups gets connected to one nas and the other nas monitor the first nas via network. as soon as one nas starts shutting down due to low battery, all nas start shutting down.
Thanks for the info. Is this feature built into the base OS or is it an add-in?

I found some useful hardware. The Openware/ IP Power 9258 is a LAN-managed quad AC power outlet. It has an internal web server to manage its four relay-switched outlets, and also allows for timed action of the outlets.

I wrote some things about my intended use for them at my server blog
rgkeen.wordpress.com.

I've also designed a couple of add-on circuits that let you in effect press the power and/or reset buttons if you like.

My unit cost me $85, about $21 per LAN controlled outlet.

Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone - I think my setup complicates the potential solutions. I own a few different brand NAS's; Intel SS4200E, NetGear ReadyNAS-Duo, and Dlink DNS-323. I'm also now looking at replacing the DNS-323 with a Synology DS209. Although the IP Power 9258 could be used to cut-off the power, I was hoping for something that would power-down the NAS through it's normal power-down process. ARGH!!!!!.

Thanks Everyone - I think my setup complicates the potential solutions. I own a few different brand NAS's; Intel SS4200E, NetGear ReadyNAS-Duo, and Dlink DNS-323. I'm also now looking at replacing the DNS-323 with a Synology DS209. Although the IP Power 9258 could be used to cut-off the power, I was hoping for something that would power-down the NAS through it's normal power-down process. ARGH!!!!!.

Here's more than I really know. I'm making Opensolaris and EON based NAS units for me. In those, you can, from another machine, send a shutdown command. I bet your NAS units do this as well. But I don't know how for each one. Maybe the manuals...?

I see Synology now allows you to use one Diskstation as the power server to shut any other Synology NASes down, pretty cool....

http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/management.php

"Connect an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to your DiskStation to prevent data loss from unexpected power failure. DSM also allows multiple Synology DiskStations in the same network to share one UPS. With only one Synology DiskStation connected to the UPS, other Synology DiskStations within the same network may also be protected under the same configuration.."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!