What's new

AX86U OR AX88U Aus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fpl

New Around Here
Hi there,
So, i am a newbie (kinda), and wanting to understand the differences of these two routers :

AX86U and AX88U.

On the one hand, the AX86U has a 2.5 gigabit, lower 2.4 speed then its big brother, 4 ports, and no WtFast and no OFDMA.
I kinda like the 88u since it has more power for the 2.4 devices, but i understand the 2.4 frequency is also older and it wouldn't matter much. However, the 88u misses the 2.5 gig port, which i find interesting in connecting a NAS (qnap 253+ or +453) --> i dont know but i am considering purchasing one.

1) my question is : how much will affect me not having ODFMA in the router ? if i went with the 86u ? I only have about 2 mac's + 2 ipads, and other 2.4 and 5ghz devices = total devices = 22

2) Is it worth having the OFDMA in a router ? vs the 2.5 ?

3) Since I have a 1Gb connection Xfinity, and as ARRIS router with 2.5 port and 1Gb port, I intend to connect the AX86u to the 2.5 of the internet router, and use the gigabit ports to my clients (2 macs). Is this the smart way to do it ? or should i just connect the internet to the 1Gb port and that to the 86u ? I have seen my friends get out of the Arris router 2.5 to the 86u about 1154Mbsp in internet. So, my concern is, if i get the 86u i could get speeds higher than 1000gibabit for internet. If I get the 88u --> i get only 1Gigabit and only with link aggregation a combined of 2Gigabit.

But..... my concern is ....is 2.5 gigabit better than OFDMA ?

What if i connect a 2.5 switch on the 86u to connect the NAS and the Macs and use the gigabit to connect to the internet. I will loose the higher speed of the internet ? perhaps yes...

Why would someone select the 88u vs the 86u ? if the 86u seems to have a 2.5gigabit...

as i said, i am planning on getting either or (86u or 88u) but want to know what will be best ?

Also, the theoretical speeds of the 86u and or 88u for wireless ? does that mean that I would get higher speeds on wifi (mac to mac - using wifi 6) than on 1Gbps ethernet ? again, i am new, and i am trying to understand the benefits...

Ultimately, i would like to purchase the 88u that would have the 2.5 port to connect...( to be future proof )

My intention to doing this is to be able to buy also a Nas that would support my environment and have a fast wifi connection, and wired connection. ( file transfer, photos files, etc ) -

thanks for you reply, and your recommendations

I just upgraded from an AC86U to an AX86U and am running the Merlin Firmware. Yes, the 5 GHZ does have OFDMA. My NAS is connected to the 2.5 Gig port but the NAS only has a 1 Gig LAN connection. Still, seems faster than the AC86U. My family has noticed that the internet is faster even though we have 100/100 FIOS. I am not a gamer but I would recommend the AX86U. I also have an AC86U for sale.

Thank you, i did check with them (Asus) and they told me that the ax86u didn't have OFDMA technology for some reason. I went to their website multiple times, and checked the specs and it didnt show. (even when i compared it with the others). Where did you read that ?

Thank you, i did check with them (Asus) and they told me that the ax86u didn't have OFDMA technology for some reason. I went to their website multiple times, and checked the specs and it didnt show. (even when i compared it with the others). Where did you read that ?
You don't need to worry about OFDMA. It will be definitely available for Wifi 6 router. But that function would working if you use many Wifi 6 devices.

You don't need to worry about OFDMA. It will be definitely available for Wifi 6 router. But that function would working if you use many Wifi 6 devices.
thank you, King ! What does it mean that it will be available for wifi 6 router ? this one apparently doesn't have it. I am intrigued by the fact that the lower models have it (66u) and this one doesnt.
it makes me wonder if (money) $50 is not a problem, should i just get the 88u, or keep the 86u?
Connecting a NAS on the 2.5 will be great but i wouldn't be able to access that speed even on the hardwired port, perhaps wifi would be the answer ( but interference would b; hopefully i made myself here.
thanks

thank you, King ! What does it mean that it will be available for wifi 6 router ? this one apparently doesn't have it. I am intrigued by the fact that the lower models have it (66u) and this one doesnt.
it makes me wonder if (money) $50 is not a problem, should i just get the 88u, or keep the 86u?
Connecting a NAS on the 2.5 will be great but i wouldn't be able to access that speed even on the hardwired port, perhaps wifi would be the answer ( but interference would b; hopefully i made myself here.
thanks
I wonder this too. OFDMA seems like a big deal? Its one of the new technology. Is this avaible for the RT-AX86U router through latest firmware?

I have both the AX88U and the AX86U. Both offer OFDMA/Mu-MIMo under the wireless, professional tab. Honestly, I disabled it on both routers when they're acting as the main router. I had to RMA the 88U (had as main router) due to signal issues so I'm currently running the 86U as the main router. It hasn't skipped a beat and might keep it as the main router. Once I get back the 88U I will either sell it or keep as AIMesh node. If you look at "Dong Knows Tech" reviews you'll see the speeds are slightly better on the 86U and the latency is reduced when using the 86U. Either way you can't go wrong with whatever router you get. Best of luck.

I have both the AX88U and the AX86U. Both offer OFDMA/Mu-MIMo under the wireless, professional tab. Honestly, I disabled it on both routers when they're acting as the main router. I had to RMA the 88U (had as main router) due to signal issues so I'm currently running the 86U as the main router. It hasn't skipped a beat and might keep it as the main router. Once I get back the 88U I will either sell it or keep as AIMesh node. If you look at "Dong Knows Tech" reviews you'll see the speeds are slightly better on the 86U and the latency is reduced when using the 86U. Either way you can't go wrong with whatever router you get. Best of luck.
Gracias man!