What's new

AX86U Pro vs AX88U vs AXE7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smedley

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

Which of the three routers (AX86U Pro, AX88U, AXE7800) would provide the best WiFi 6 performance (speed & stability)? Other than the 6GHz band on the 7800, and the 4 extra LAN ports on the 88U, do they offer any additional capabilities over the AX86U Pro?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those models are not recommended.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the model to buy today.

do they offer any additional capabilities over the AX86U Pro?

No. This is the newest hardware router on your list and the only one compatible with future 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware.

Total BS. I wish you would just stop with your unfounded remarks it's getting old for everyone. JUST KNOCK IT OFF OR GET LOST.

I don't see you offering anything to consider.

My experience is what my posts are based on.

Yours leave much to be desired.

Grow up. If you don't like what I know to recommend, that is your issue, not mine.

Total BS. I wish you would just stop with your unfounded remarks it's getting old for everyone. JUST KNOCK IT OFF OR GET LOST.
Well, this time I agree with @L&LD recommendation! The AX86U Pro is, no BS, a very good router. Catch one on sale and even a better buy. Upright configuration like the AC68U, AC86U, AX68U and AX86U takes up less space than other models. WIFI is great and the processor is very good. As for VPN performance it works well for me as a VPN server (I run VPN Client on the PC or MAC for better performance). Most SOHO routers have lackluster performance as a VPN client but, I believe, the AX86U Pro would be better than most.

Is the only difference between the AX86U Pro and AX88U Pro (physical form factor aside) the second 2.5G port on the later? If they have the same CPUs and radios, should the performance be the same?

Thanks!

RT-AX88U Pro has 2x 2.5GbE ports, 4-stream 2.4GHz radio, 4-stream 5GHz radio, 1x USB port. Larger footprint flat design.
RT-AX86U Pro has 1x 2.5GbE port, 3-stream 2.4GHz radio, 4-stream 5GHz radio, 2x USB ports. Smaller footprint vertical design.

You are more interested in Wi-Fi 6 performance and it usually means on 5GHz band. The performance will be about the same. Both routers have the same CPU, RAM and 5GHz radio with the same SDK firmware and Broadcom drivers. The 4th antenna on RT-AX86U Pro is internal, but with the same dBi as external antennas. If you don't need 2x 2.5GbE ports - this is the more compact model, popular around, Asuswrt-Merlin supported. Usually cheaper as well.

Australia? Have you searched for Orp U88XA-TR?

No. This is the newest hardware router on your list and the only one compatible with future 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware.
I'm beginning to wonder if ASUS will ever push the new firmware to the AX86. It's not there yet, and it would be easy for them to become disinterested in spending time on it. With all the same guts as the AX88, it should be an easy port to the AX86, but yet they resist.

The most expensive Asus AX-class router GT-AXE16000 still doesn't have 3.0.0.6 firmware. Seems like RT-AX88U Pro is the test platform.

I'm beginning to wonder if ASUS will ever push the new firmware to the AX86.
Yes its leaving some of us WRT 5.0 / Guest Network Pro supported router users wondering if we'll ever see it released in final non beta form. Its been close to if not a year since Asus announced WRT 5.0 and the Guest Network Pro feature. And yet only two routers apparently have the non beta firmware (GT-AX6000 and the RT-AX88U Pro). Meanwhile the Guest Network Pro knowledge page states the following routers are supported; GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12. So yeah one begins to wonder what the deal is. Like already indicated seems like the RT-AX88U Pro platform is the test platform for the 3006 firmware.

I see on ASUS' website that they are discounting the 88U price below the 86U price, as if to promote it as their preference to support.

as if to promote it as their preference to support.

Or pointing beta testers to a specific model they want 3.0.0.6 firmware to be tested on.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the router that both we and my in-laws are using. They purchased it on my recommendation after their old router recently died. Both households enjoy stellar performance with zero issues. Theirs is a single router network topology while we also have 2 RT-AX88U mesh nodes. If wired connections weren't needed for certain peripherals we could easily eliminate the nodes.

I feel it's the best balance between value, features and performance.

Hey OP,

maybe this review will help:

Asus RT-AX88U Pro Wi-Fi 6 Router Review (vs. RT-AX88U): Saving the Best for Last​

Here's the bottom line: If you're still in the market for a Wi-Fi 6 router, which would be a wise decision now that the standard is mature, the new Asus RT-AX88U Pro is an excellent buy

Currently $240 at amazon, was $350 when this review was written a year ago.

I think that's a great deal.

The RT-AX88U is supported by Merlin Firmware (that's a very good thing.)

I have this router, with Merlin firmware on it:

ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6 AX Gaming Router (GT-AX6000) Dual 2.5G WAN/LAN Ports, Quad-Core 2.0Ghz CPU, WAN Aggregation, AiMesh Compatible, Lifetime Internet Security, Instant Guard, Aura RGB​

$260 now, I think $400 when released?

There is a Hardware Specs Comparison chart not too far down in the article. The GT-AX6000 has very similar hardware to the RT-AX88U Pro--and my AX6000 is by far the best wireless router I have ever had. Covers a 2200+ square foot house with ease. Gamer in the house so it's on his desk hard wired into his PC, some AppleTVs hard wired, then wireless TVs, iPads, iPhones, etc: never a problem. Ever.

I do believe Tech9 recommends the Alien Green version of the GT-AX6000, he likes the subtle color accents and Head Crab Styling. However, we have the more sedate standard version, and have the "Game On" Aura light on top shut off.

Right now the price on the RT-AX88U Pro is very good--get it, flash Merlin on it, enjoy.

PS: I like Dong Ngo's reviews, good info, well organized, fair (I don't think he takes free samples etc).

Attachments

• 71fNeoH-TwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71fNeoH-TwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 613UK2R-kQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    613UK2R-kQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 61gpbEsPY4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61gpbEsPY4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 9
Thanks all for the additional suggestions and info! I'm leaning towards the AX86U Pro as I only use the 5GHz band, the 4x4 2.4GHz radio on the AX88U Pro doesn't provide an advantage. As I understand, both the AX86U Pro and the AX88U Pro have the same 5GHz radios and CPUs, the performance should be identical for my use. Given the many comments regarding the stability of the 3.0.0.6 code base at present, I'm opting for the AX86U pro for its expected better stability.

Thanks again!

There is a reason why certain models are recommended over others. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Specs do not make things identical (in performance, or otherwise).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!