Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

B/G Protection on RT-AC66U

Discussion in 'Routers' started by tbosa, Aug 26, 2012.

1. tbosa

tbosa New Around Here

Aug 14, 2012
    Hello. I've searched and cannot find a direct answer to what the little check box for "b/g protection" next to the "wireless mode" drop down box in all ASUS routers' firmware does for a person. Does it mean it "protects" wireless b by making sure the router stays compatible for B devices? Or, does it mean it adds some kind of extra security to the B and G wireless transmissions? I don't have any B devices in my house and unless this setting does something else for me, I'd rather disable it.

Thanks in advance!
  2. tipstir

tipstir Very Senior Member

Aug 16, 2008
    South Florida
    Protection mode refers to a mechanism for the G radio. Since a legacy B radio device would not decode radio signals at G rates, a protection mechanism was developed for the new G radio and the B radio to co-exist on the same network. When protection mode is enabled, every packet sent on the G rate would require initiation of the sender.
  3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

May 18, 2008
    Enabling "B/G" protection ensures that the AP waits long enough for these slower protocols.
  4. professordave

professordave Occasional Visitor

Jan 22, 2013
    Suppose there are no b clients, but there are several g clients.

I currently run without this checkbox.

I have an ac66u, no ac clients yet, just some n and some g clients.
  5. RadoFan

RadoFan New Around Here

Jul 8, 2015
    Can I disable b altogether on an RT-AC66U?
  6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Aug 11, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Recommendation is not to disable 802.11b - not that one wants 11b clients to attach to your AP, but just in case there are other 11b networks (such as Printers using AdHoc) - if they cannot understand your AP's beacons, they have a good chance of stepping on your network...

I generally run my 2.4GHz in mixed B/G/N mode, WPA2-AES - most 11b clients can't do WPA2, so this is a good way of keeping them off your WiFi...

Ideally, one doesn't want any 11b around, as it can take an 11n network down into non-ERP* protection, and this can have a significant impact on the 2.4GHz band.

ERP mode is also known as 11g
    HT is 11n
    VHT - while not official in 2.4GHz, this is basically how TurboQAM is presented...

(This is also why I always recommend mixed B/G/N with Turbo disabled - N-Only will go into Protection if an 11g/11b is seen during the mandatory OBSS scans, and Turbo/VHT can have interop issues with older 11n/11g clients, and I've seen 11b clients crash outright with AP's broadcasting VHT support in 2.4GHz)
    Ah-Pin-Kor likes this.