What's new

Backup / Disk Imaging Software Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AaronD

Occasional Visitor
Hi all

I'm about to purchase a two disk NAS, make undecided, could be Qnap, Synology or Readynas.

I know they will all come with backup software, but my experience over the years is that generally I need the fully featured version that I end up paying extra for.

So could any of you chaps pitch in with a recommendation for Backup software that is reliable and works ?

The data I am concerned with, will be work related, so being able to actually recover from a backup is real important.

I'd also like something that can take regular images of the disk on each client PC ? not sure if this is even possible.

cheers
Aaron

Ps. Apologies if this has already been covered, but I did search the forums and couldn't find any posts that dealt with this.

I have used Syncback for backup functions and found it to be excellent. Can recommend it. You may want to check their website for specific features and see if it has the options you need.

Acronis True Image has also been recommended in other discussions.
Tim

I have to disagree with the other posters who recommend Trueimage, at least the Home edition. The last two versions of the Home product have been bug ridden and very problematic for many. Some don't realize just how problematic until they try to restore and get an unpleasant surprise (corruption, lost data, refusing to restore...). It seems the Trueimage Workstation Echo product has held up much better, though most consumers wouldn't think to buy it instead of the Home version.

To answer the OP question, yes, nearly all NAS products come with a packaged backup program. In the case of the Readynas, its NTI Shadow, a somewhat crap program. Shadow has potential, but is feature strapped, does not support copying open/locked files and I've found its a bit of a resource hog and crashes a bit too frequently for my liking. Other NAS backup programs may be better, but I doubt any of them support copying open/locked files in 2000, XP or Vista.

For general backup look at Syncback SE or Pro. Great product, but can be brutal to setup if you are impatient and don't want to go through its myriad of granular settings. It has an Easy mode setup, and that may be good enough for some users. Syncback is robust and reliable, has tons of options for backing up and sync, it supports copying open/locked files, although it will NOT run as a service.

A great free backup program that will run as a service and has a lot of great features is Cobian V9. I cannot say much bad about Cobian backup except that it does not offer a restore option. The author feels that if you need to restore, you can copy and replace the files manually. I still wish he wrote a restore app. Cobian will copy open/locked files and is very reliable. Best of all, its free! **Only for x86 Windows.**www.cobiansoft.com

There's other good backup programs, such as Superflexible File Sync, Fileback PC, KLS Backup Pro and AJ Systems Easy backup. The nice thing about KLS Backup and Easy Backup is that they include plugins to backup Outlook data/profiles, as well as many other apps. It makes it very helpful when transitioning from one PC to another. Both have quirks and some lingering bugs, but their positives outweigh the niggly bugs. Both KLS and AJ Systems are expected to release new updated versions soon. **KLS will run natively on x86 or x64.**

Some people swear by Genie backup and Backup4all which also support plugins, but I'm not a fan of either. Genie refuses to run and/or crashes on some systems and Backup4all wasn't so great last time I banged on it. Their new version looks better, but I cannot recommend it at this time. You can try their free fbackup product if you choose. Its basic, no frills, but surprisingly support copying open/locked files.

For disk imaging your best options are Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (like Norton Ghost 14 but supports bare metal restore as well as other features), Storage Craft's Shadowprotect Desktop, Macrium Reflect and Drive Snapshot. Drive Snapshot is slick because its a single file, no install required. The downfall is that restores are done command line or through a Bart PE CD. Restoring Drive Snapshots saved on a NAS may be difficult unless you create a Bart PE CD.

Everything I listed here can be found with a google search. Hope that clears things up for ya. :):):)

Last edited:
Thanks, Claykin. I defer to your choices. Sounds like you have plenty of scars to back up (heh) your choices.

Not really a backup program, but I use Microsoft's free SyncToy 2.0 to synchronize my important folders to a file server. I use regular Windows scheduler to sync periodically.

AaronD,

I can't recommend Retrospect Professional too highly. It a very solid and reliable product that I have used for several years - including many restores to bare-metal.

It does require a separate computer (various O/S are suppoted) to run it and as although you can install backup clients on other computers that you want to back up (over a network) I have not found one I can install on my QNAP TS-509. However, I can backup the QNAP's Samba shares very straightforwardly.

Thank You

Thanks guys for the replies.

And thanks Claykin, for a comprehensive roundup.

Much appreciated. Plenty for me to get on with from that little lot.

cheers
Aaron