What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.5.10 -Mar 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've only just discovered this utility, so I thought I'd give it a go, but it wouldn't work, which didn't surprise me really, because I'm not sure if I have understood how to set it up. The part I really don't understand is that it is appears to be suggesting that it can mount something to one of my network shares (which in my case, would be a share on my Synology Diskstation NAS). There was some sort error about being unable to connect to the share, but I can't remember the exact wording.

This is how I input the location for the backups:
\\\\192.168.50.100\\Brians Data\\INTERNET STUFF\\ZEN INTERNET\ASUS RT-AX86U PRO ROUTER SETUP\\Auto Router Backups
but I've just noticed that I'd omitted a slash, so it should have been \\\\192.168.50.100\\Brians Data\\INTERNET STUFF\\ZEN INTERNET\\ASUS RT-AX86U PRO ROUTER SETUP\\Auto Router Backups

Would this now be a valid backup location?

I use Synology NAS to store my backups, here's my path: \\\\[nas IP here]\\backup\\router
Make sure you log in with the user that has the r/w rights to the share.

I've reinstalled the script and corrected the mistake I made above, but it still won't work. I'm uploading a copy of the error message and my current settings for possible diagnosis.

Attachments

• BACKUPMON Configuration.jpg
    BACKUPMON Configuration.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 26
  • BACKUPMON Test Results.jpg
    BACKUPMON Test Results.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 32
I use Synology NAS to store my backups, here's my path: \\\\[nas IP here]\\backup\\router
Make sure you log in with the user that has the r/w rights to the share.
Yes, I'm sure have input the correct user name and password for the NAS share.

Yes, I'm sure have input the correct user name and password for the NAS share.
I've created a new share just for this, to see if that makes any difference, but it doesn't.

This is my new network share: \\\\192.168.50.100\\RouterBackups

I've created a new share just for this, to see if that makes any difference, but it doesn't.

This is my new network share: \\\\192.168.50.100\\RouterBackups

A share like this should work. The one you had above was not correct. It should simply look like \\\\server\\share... nothing else. I'm not familiar with Synology, but make sure that SMB protocol is turned on for the share.. and that permissions are correct for it to be able to connect or r/w to it as @Strud said? Make sure your share is visible to other devices, like from a laptop. Use the "test your network share" (ts) from the setup + operations menu to play around with settings. I believe some Synology NAS units can't use SMB v3.x, so keep it down to v2.x.

Last edited:
A share like this should work. The one you had above was not correct. It should simply look like \\\\server\\share... nothing else. I'm not familiar with Synology, but make sure that SMB protocol is turned on for the share.. and that permissions are correct for it to be able to connect or r/w to it as @Strud said? Make sure your share is visible to other devices, like from a laptop. Use the "test your network share" (ts) from the setup + operations menu to play around with settings. I believe some Synology NAS units can't use SMB v3.x, so keep it down to v2.x.
I've checked the SMB settings of my NAS and uploaded a screenshot. From my laptop I can access the share by using either of the methods below in the Windows Explorer search field:

\\DiskStation\RouterBackups
\\192.168.50.100\RouterBackups

Attachments

• DiskStation SMB Settings.jpg
    DiskStation SMB Settings.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 29
I've checked the SMB settings of my NAS and uploaded a screenshot. From my laptop I can access the share by using either of the methods below in the Windows Explorer search field:

\\DiskStation\RouterBackups
\\192.168.50.100\RouterBackups
That looks OK to me... might want @Strud's input on his settings just incase?

What happens when you use these settings in the Backup Target Network Connection Tester (ts)? (and please share a screenshot of what settings you're using here)

1708441977142.png

That looks OK to me... might want @Strud's input on his settings just incase?

What happens when you use these settings in the Backup Target Network Connection Tester (ts)? (and please share a screenshot of what settings you're using here)

View attachment 56632
My confirmed settings for backing up to Synology NAS:

Screenshot.png

Just playing with this. My backup to a TrueNAS server is at \\\\192.168.50.10\\Backups. Works fine.

When I test the connection, it looks to \\\\192.168.50.25\\Backups, and of course fails.

Just playing with this. My backup to a TrueNAS server is at \\\\192.168.50.10\\Backups. Works fine.

When I test the connection, it looks to \\\\192.168.50.25\\Backups, and of course fails.

By design as these are just sample settings to show formatting... meant to solicit input for your actual settings. ;)

Last edited:
I'll try some of the ideas again after my dinner, but I did a bit of experimenting earlier to see if I could access the share from my other laptop. I cleared the saved Windows credentials and tried connecting using the ASUSrouter username and password, but it would not allow me access. Then I rebooted and tried my main (admin account) user name and password, but that would not allow me to connect to any of my shares. It was only when I let Windows save my credentials that I could reconnect to all my shares. So, I deleted the Windows (NAS admin account)credential I had just saved, replaced it with the ASUSrouter credential/password, rebooted again and this time I could access just the RouterBackup share, which was what I was expecting. Maybe this is irrelevant, I don't know, but I just thought I would mention it.

It's working now! Here's my successful configuration:

BACKUPMON Settings (Successful).jpg

I understand that MerlinAU (which is my next enhancement) uses or can use BACKUPMON when upgrading firmware, but when else might I need to use BACKUPMON for restoring, as opposed to simply importing a saved configuration file via the GUI in the event of either a problem with the working of the router or a need to restore back to a previous configuration?

It's working now! Here's my successful configuration:
Nice work, @TheLyppardMan!! Now sit back, let BACKUPMON do it's job, so you can kick your feet back and drink a cold one knowing your router is now protected! :)
I understand that MerlinAU (which is my next enhancement) uses or can use BACKUPMON when upgrading firmware, but when else might I need to use BACKUPMON for restoring, as opposed to simply importing a saved configuration file via the GUI in the event of either a problem with the working of the router or a need to restore back to a previous configuration?
One day, you might update your firmware, or entware, or make some other critical setting change that prevents your router from continuing to be stable... that's one scenario. Your USB drive might give up the ghost someday, or completely corrupt its contents randomly. That's a scenario. You might roll up the newest firmware, did a completely wipe & reset, but then find that some functionality is not working for you, so you roll back to the last firmware and restore your backups on top of that to get back to square 1... that's a scenario. There have been several folks already that have faced a major disaster with their router where it was completely borked, and were able to use this to get back to a last-known-good working state. You *hope* you never have to use it... but its there if you need it! Oh, this could also help you migrate from say a USB flashdrive to a more robust SSD drive in one of those cool light-up blue LED enclosures! ;)

Last edited:
By design as these are just sample settings to show formatting... meant to solicit input for your actual settings.
I get it now. I thought I went to sc to enter my settings, and then to ts to check that they work. Maybe there should be a test setting under sc for that purpose?

I get it now. I thought I went to sc to enter my settings, and then to ts to check that they work. Maybe there should be a test setting under sc for that purpose?
Well, I created this little test utility as a free-for-all playground to play with different settings, to make sure things work, or trying out new devices, backup folders, permissions, etc on your NAS. However, when you go into Test (ts), you can hit (p) to import your primary backup settings, which basically copies everything over and lets you play with your current settings... or optionally (s) for your secondary backup settings.

Well, I created this little test utility as a free-for-all playground to play with different settings, to make sure things work, or trying out new devices, backup folders, permissions, etc on your NAS. However, when you go into Test (ts), you can hit (p) to import your primary backup settings, which basically copies everything over and lets you play with your current settings... or optionally (s) for your secondary backup settings.
Here is your salute!

Question from a new user of BACKUPMON. Does it actually require a USB flash drive if backups are going to be saved on a network share (in my case, on my Synology NAS)?

It assumes that is what you're backing up. So yes, it is required (otherwise, the script is not needed).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!