What's new

bandwidth, traffic monitoring?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ayryq

New Around Here
I switched this week from a ASUS router running tomato to a TP-link TL-ER6120 and Ubiquiti UniFi access points. I love the stability and speed of the router, and the great connections through the APs, but there's one thing I miss.

TomatoUSB had all these great graphs and charts. I could monitor (in real time or over the past X hours/days) how much data each device was using, or how much my guest network was using vs the private network. I could even track what URIs and search strings were being used if I wanted. I don't need this stuff, but it was cool.

Is there any way to get this sort of data now? TP-Link only provides a number of bits up/down (I think, since the router was rebooted). UniFi shows the total data used by each wireless client, and a chart of how many clients over time.

How can I get more data? The new router has a port-mirroring function. And I've got a spare router now, running Tomato.

Thanks in advance for your responses - this is my first post here.
Eric

If the box supported SNMP, I'd recommend looking into something like Cacti. But since the specs for this device don't mention it, I don't think that is an option.

Thanks,
I returned the TP-Link and bought a ZyXEL Zywall USG 50. I get slightly better statistics and, it seems, a much more feature-filled router in general. I also signed up with OpenDNS and now have their stats as well.

The only trade off has been in "concurrent sessions" where the Zywall supports only 10,000. There is a fix here, though, involving reducing the timeout-time for sessions so old ones don't hang around.

Eric

Why do you need more than 10000 simultaneous sessions?

I'm thinking I shouldn't if I've got the router set up properly. That Zywall has a bit of a learning curve to it. Anyway, I had a torrent which completed and hours later I still had 10000 sessions full and basically no access to the internet as a result. There's no "clear dead sessions" button. It seemed like a bug to me, as the "session monitor" showed 40-50 active sessions, and the "dashboard" showed 10000. (This torrent certainly didn't connect to more than 100-200 other clients.)

So I ran into a bug either in my bittorrent client (Synology Download Station) or in the router, or maybe more likely, a misconfiguration.

As I mentioned, I shortened the timeout time on tcp-established from 2.5 hours to 15 minutes and I haven't seen more than 100 active sessions since.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26259544-Session-timeout-and-huge-state-table