What's new

Solved bash executable script problems when executed through a cron job

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sesardelaisla

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

My first message here, although I have learnt a lot by reading many posts and solutions here in the past! For the first time, I hope you can help with a topic I haven't found a way to fix it by searching previously in the forum.

I have a script file which it is executed fine if issued straight from the command line. The purpose of the script is to renew a few domain certificates I have. However, when the file is executed through a cron job, it seems some steps are skipped. Actually, the skipped steps are the most important ones (the dehydrated ones).

The cron service is running fine. The task is also executed, so no issues related to whether the main task is configured right. In the other hand, the router is set with JFFS services-start "cron a" line for such task, so cron jobs are reloaded upon every reboot and executed at the expected time.

As you can see below in the script, I have included some code after every line to be able to insert the commands output in the existing renew_certs.log file.

This is the script [renew_certs]:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
date >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain01.com --cron | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain02.com --cron | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain03.com --cron | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
nginx -s reload

This is the renew_certs.log output when the script renew_certs is issued from the command line:

Code:
Fri Jan 26 15:07:14 CET 2024
# INFO: Using main config file /tmp/mnt/USB_ASUS/entware/etc/nginx/config
Processing domain01.com
 + Checking domain name(s) of existing cert... unchanged.
 + Checking expire date of existing cert...
 + Valid till Mar 27 20:42:47 2024 GMT (Longer than 30 days). Skipping renew!
Processing domain02.com
 + Valid till Mar 27 20:43:00 2024 GMT (Longer than 30 days). Skipping renew!
Processing domain03.com
 + Valid till Mar 27 20:43:17 2024 GMT (Longer than 30 days). Skipping renew!
Fri Jan 26 15:07:21 CET 2024

And this is the renew_certs.log output when the script renew_certs is executed through the cron job:

Code:
Fri Jan 26 15:18:00 MET 2024

If issued from the command line, all steps are executed and output is inserted in the log file as expectedd. However, if the script is executed from the cron job, the date command outputs are the only ones inserted in the log file. On top of that, it is not just an output logging problem, but a command execution problem as well. The bash lines between the date lines are not executed at all. Any way to fix this? What am I doing wrong?

For your reference, I have an ASUS RT-AX58U router with Merlin version 3004.388.6 installed (latest).

Thanks for taking time to read this post. I hope you can help. Cheers!

sesardelaisla

There is no bash in the firmware. That #!/bin/bash shebang won't work.

Not quite. Although I was tempted to post something similar.

Some, but not all, Asus routers have /bin/bash as a symlink to busybox's shell. I think that's only on the HND models.

That said, despite the presence of /bin/bash it's not a full bash interpreter. So maybe, if you've installed the "full version" of bash from Entware you could run into problems like this. The reason being that the default PATH is different for scripts invoked by cron compared to being run from the command line.

Personally I'd recommend people remove references to bash and stick to sh to avoid confusion over compatibility issues. Alternatively, make sure you set the PATH correctly before invoking any Entware programs.

Last edited:
Maybe add 2>&1 after -cron in the 3 commands to capture stderr as well.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I followed your suggestions and this is what I just tried. It doesn't work either. I am afraid that behaviour is the same. Any other idea? Please, do note that I am not a guru on this, so I am not 100% sure I have implemented everything as you indicated. Thanks.

Code:
cd /opt/etc/nginx
./dehydrated --domain domain_01 --cron >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
./dehydrated --domain domain_02 --cron >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
./dehydrated --domain domain_03 --cron >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
nginx -s reload

Besides, I have a few questions:

If there isn't, why does it work from the command line? Is it due to what Colin mentioned later?

The reason being that the default PATH is different for scripts invoked by cron compared to being run from the command line.

How can I set a path specifically for cron jobs? I guess it should be done in services-start, although I am not sure.

Maybe add 2>&1 after -cron in the 3 commands to capture stderr as well.

If I do this, the command line issues an error. Will review later.

I'd also suggest replacing | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log with >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log as there is no terminal attached to a cron job.

This is what I used to do, but I switched to the tee thing because I have output in the terminal too when testing. The >> option doesn't. I have changed it to >> again in order to simplify the narrowing down process.

So what is the error?

Apologies. Just tried again to copy/paste the error here and it doesn't issue any error. I guess I did some typo mistake when testing. However, I don't see any change in the output with either option as per below:

Code:
./dehydrated --domain domain01.com --cron 2>&1 >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log

Or:

Code:
./dehydrated --domain domain01.com --cron 2>&1 | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log

However, the second one prints output to both terminal and file, regardless of whether the 2>&1 string is included or not.

Hello Everyone,

My first message here, although I have learnt a lot by reading many posts and solutions here in the past! For the first time, I hope you can help with a topic I haven't found a way to fix it by searching previously in the forum.

I have a script file which it is executed fine if issued straight from the command line. The purpose of the script is to renew a few domain certificates I have. However, when the file is executed through a cron job, it seems some steps are skipped. Actually, the skipped steps are the most important ones (the dehydrated ones).

The cron service is running fine. The task is also executed, so no issues related to whether the main task is configured right. In the other hand, the router is set with JFFS services-start "cron a" line for such task, so cron jobs are reloaded upon every reboot and executed at the expected time.

As you can see below in the script, I have included some code after every line to be able to insert the commands output in the existing renew_certs.log file.

This is the script [renew_certs]:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain01.com --cron | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain02.com --cron | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain03.com --cron | tee -a /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.log
nginx -s reload

This is the renew_certs.log output when the script renew_certs is issued from the command line:

Code:
Fri Jan 26 15:07:14 CET 2024
Processing domain01.com
Processing domain02.com
 + Valid till Mar 27 20:43:00 2024 GMT (Longer than 30 days). Skipping renew!
Processing domain03.com
Fri Jan 26 15:07:21 CET 2024

And this is the renew_certs.log output when the script renew_certs is executed through the cron job:

Code:

If issued from the command line, all steps are executed and output is inserted in the log file as expectedd. However, if the script is executed from the cron job, the date command outputs are the only ones inserted in the log file. On top of that, it is not just an output logging problem, but a command execution problem as well. The bash lines between the date lines are not executed at all. Any way to fix this? What am I doing wrong?

For your reference, I have an ASUS RT-AX58U router with Merlin version 3004.388.6 installed (latest).

Thanks for taking time to read this post. I hope you can help. Cheers!

sesardelaisla

If the script is running fine from the CLI, but not from cron, try making your cron entry change to the directory the script is in, ie:

cru a myscript.sh "*/2 * * * * cd /jffs/scripts && /jffs/scripts/myscript.sh

How can I set a path specifically for cron jobs? I guess it should be done in services-start, although I am not sure.

Easiest: Assign it in the second line of the script. PATH=$PATH:/plus/whats/necessary or PATH=/whats/preferred:$PATH if you want to ensure an add-on executable is run instead of any native version.

Or call all executables with their full paths (i.e. "date" -> "/bin/date", though the regular system executables are likely safe).

I wouldn't do the example above. Merely specifying /jffs/scripts/myscript.sh (as in the example) is sufficient and sure.

Ok. This is how the script looks like now. I tried to implement everything you suggested:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=$PATH:/opt/etc/nginx:/jffs/scripts
date > /jffs/scripts/renew_certs_00.log
cd /opt/etc/nginx
/opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain.com --cron 2>&1 >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs_00.log
nginx -s reload
date >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs_00.log

Script runs fine from the command line. However, if it is run from cron, this is the ouput I get:

Code:
Sun Jan 28 13:21:00 MET 2024
/opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated: line 12: shopt: not found
/opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated: line 32: syntax error: unexpected "("

Given that I have a Home Assistant (home automation) system installed in the local network, I tried to automate the script run from there. However, I get a similar output:

Code:
stdout: |-
  stderr: Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
returncode: 0

Will keep trying different options and I am googleing for information about this shopt thing, but it would be great if you can give further feedback according to the above information. Thanks!

Ok. This is how the script looks like now. I tried to implement everything you suggested:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=$PATH:/opt/etc/nginx:/jffs/scripts
cd /opt/etc/nginx
/opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain.com --cron 2>&1 >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs_00.log
nginx -s reload

Script runs fine from the command line. However, if it is run from cron, this is the ouput I get:

Code:

Given that I have a Home Assistant (home automation) system installed in the local network, I tried to automate the script run from there. However, I get a similar output:

Code:
stdout: |-
  stderr: Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
returncode: 0

Will keep trying different options and I am googleing for information about this shopt thing, but it would be great if you can give further feedback according to the above information. Thanks!

shopt is a bash builtin function that's not normally present in the firmware. Which brings me back to my first point, that you must have installed a bash interpreter, along with who-knows-what other software.

The problem is that we don't know anything about where this script came from, or how you installed dehydrated, or what else you've done. Was any of this software written for asuswrt? At the moment we're just making random guesses. If you could describe how you got to this point we might have a clue.

In the meantime try this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:$PATH
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain.com --cron 2>&1 >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs_00.log
nginx -s reload

Last edited:
The current (at least Merlin-derived) firmware (at least for GT-AX6000 and [GNUton's] XT8) uses BusyBox v1.25.1 with some bash functionality, plus the "bash" symlink to it.

https://github.com/dehydrated-io/dehydrated provides a 2404 line script developed on/for better-than-busybox bash.

Either a full(er) bash executable will need be also installed or the script will require modification.

If some of the /ancillary/ stuff requires a more-complete operating environment than our little routers, I can only imagine other aspects of what's being attempted here will also suffer.
It's evident so far now that the script which calls "dehydrated" may indeed be made to "execute fine" in any manner, but that was only a minor obstacle to overcome. Now to the real work, which I regrettably feel disinclined to undertake.

In the meantime try this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:$PATH
bash /opt/etc/nginx/dehydrated --domain domain.com --cron 2>&1 >> /jffs/scripts/renew_certs_00.log
nginx -s reload

You are the man! Thank you so much! This is what I am getting in the log file after the cron job is executed:

Code:
Sun Jan 28 17:14:00 MET 2024
Processing domain_01
Processing domain_02
 + Valid till Mar 27 20:43:31 2024 GMT (Longer than 30 days). Skipping renew!
Processing domain_03
Sun Jan 28 17:14:06 MET 2024

Why is it working now? Are you just pointing shell commands to the Entware bin paths instead to the firmware default ones? Furthermore, I tried to change the cron job from the suggested "cru a renew_certs.sh "00 17 * * * cd /opt/etc/nginx && /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.sh" to the initial "cru a renew_certs.sh "00 17 * * * /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.sh" and it also works fine.

The problem is that we don't know anything about where this script came from, or how you installed dehydrated, or what else you've done. Was any of this software written for asuswrt? At the moment we're just making random guesses. If you could describe how you got to this point we might have a clue.
Even though it is working now, I am happy to share how I did my current setup.

You can see below the list of packages that I installed just after installing entware, according to this tutorial, although I remember that I didn't installed everything, but what it was really "necessary" for the purpose. According to the tutorial, this is what I had to install:

Code:
opkg install bash ca-certificates coreutils-mktemp curl diffutils grep nginx openssl-util

However, this is what I installed:
  • nginx-extras
  • bash
  • coreutils-mktemp
I am also including all commands responses (I copied all terminal interaction when I installed everything for future reference):

Code:
[username]@RT-AC87U-B598:/tmp/home/root# opkg install nginx-extras
Installing nginx-extras (1.22.0-3) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/nginx-extras_1.22.0-3_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libpam (1.5.1-1a) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libpam_1.5.1-1a_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing zlib (1.2.12-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/zlib_1.2.12-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libopenssl (1.1.1q-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libopenssl_1.1.1q-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libiconv-full (1.17-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libiconv-full_1.17-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libxml2 (2.9.14-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libxml2_2.9.14-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libxslt (1.1.34-4) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libxslt_1.1.34-4_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libexslt (1.1.34-4) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libexslt_1.1.34-4_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libjpeg-turbo (2.1.2-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libjpeg-turbo_2.1.2-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libpng (1.6.37-11) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libpng_1.6.37-11_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libwebp (1.2.1-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libwebp_1.2.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libfreetype (2.11.1-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libfreetype_2.11.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libgd (2.3.2-3) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libgd_2.3.2-3_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libmaxminddb (1.6.0-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libmaxminddb_1.6.0-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing luajit (2.1.0-beta3-7) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/luajit_2.1.0-beta3-7_armv7-2.6.ipk
Configuring libpam.
Configuring libjpeg-turbo.
Configuring zlib.
Configuring libpng.
Configuring libwebp.
Configuring libfreetype.
Configuring libgd.
Configuring libiconv-full.
Configuring luajit.
Configuring libxml2.
Configuring libxslt.
Configuring libexslt.
Configuring libmaxminddb.
Configuring libopenssl.
Configuring nginx-extras.
/opt/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default site enabled.

[username]@RT-AC87U-B598:/tmp/mnt/USB_ASUS/entware/etc/nginx# opkg install bash
Installing bash (5.1.16-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/bash_5.1.16-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libncursesw (6.3-1a) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libncursesw_6.3-1a_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libncurses (6.3-1a) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libncurses_6.3-1a_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing libreadline (8.1-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/libreadline_8.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Configuring libncursesw.
Configuring libncurses.
Configuring libreadline.
Configuring bash.

[username]@RT-AC87U-B598:/tmp/mnt/USB_ASUS/entware/etc/nginx# opkg install coreutils-mktemp
Installing coreutils-mktemp (9.1-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/coreutils-mktemp_9.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Installing coreutils (9.1-1) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/coreutils_9.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Configuring coreutils.
Configuring coreutils-mktemp.

[username]@RT-AC87U-B598:/tmp/mnt/USB_ASUS/entware/etc/init.d# opkg install cron
Installing cron (4.1-5) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/cron_4.1-5_armv7-2.6.ipk
Configuring cron.

Now that I recalled the bash installation, I think I had to install it because dehydrated was not able to be executed without it, although I am not 100% sure. I did this some time ago, when amtm version was 3.4 and I had an older RT-AC87U router with FW 384.13. I have updated all packages since then when available, and I also changed the router to the model I stated in my first post in this thread.

Thank you all for taking some time to help and for your valuable feedback!

Sésar

Last edited:
Why is it working now? Are you just pointing shell commands to the Entware bin paths instead to the firmware default ones?
Entware doesn't exist at all in the router's cron default path. So you need to add it to the beginning of the path so that it takes priority over any built-in commands.

Furthermore, I tried to change the cron job from the suggested "cru a renew_certs.sh "00 17 * * * cd /opt/etc/nginx && /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.sh" to the initial "cru a renew_certs.sh "00 17 * * * /jffs/scripts/renew_certs.sh" and it also works fine.

Even though it is working now, I am happy to share how I did my current setup.

You can see below the list of packages that I installed just after installing entware, according to this tutorial, although I remember that I didn't installed everything, but what it was really "necessary" for the purpose. According to the tutorial, this is what I had to install:

Code:
opkg install bash ca-certificates coreutils-mktemp curl diffutils grep nginx openssl-util

However, this is what I installed:
  • nginx-extras
  • bash
  • coreutils-mktemp
I am also including all commands responses (I copied all terminal interaction when I installed everything for future reference):
This whole thing looks like a mess. You've also got a conflicting version of cron installed, even though you're using cru. So god knows which one of those links into the --cron parameter you're using.

Now that I recalled the bash installation, I think I had to install it because dehydrated was not able to be executed without it, although I am not 100% sure. I did this some time ago, when amtm version was 3.4 and I had an older RT-AC87U router with FW 384.13. I have updated all packages since then when available, and I also changed the router to the model I stated in my first post in this thread.
And just to add to the mess I'd guess you also imported your old config file from the RT-AC87U into the RT-AX58U. So you're running the wrong version of Entware.

Still, if it works...

So you had a fuller-featured bash installed. By placing the location of that bash earlier in the PATH variable that bash is what gets used to run the script instead of the "native" bash which is unable to get the job done.

And just to add to the mess I'd guess you also imported your old config file from the RT-AC87U into the RT-AX58U. So you're running the wrong version of Entware.
I setup the current router config from scratch (the router config itself), but it is true that for the USB with Entware, I tried to just plug it in the current "new" router and it worked, so I left it as it was. As far as I remember, Entware updated upon first run in the new router, so I thought it was enough for the purpose. Never had any problem with other scripts, nginx multi-domain server, etc., except for the certs renewal, something that I had to execute manually when necessary until now. However, taking into account your feedback and everything I learnt from this thread, I think I will start from scratch again soon. Agree that it is better to have an efficient setup rather than this mess, with different cron services and such. Now that I have a working environment I can revert back to if needed, I will set Entware up from the current router to a fresh USB drive. I remember that the old router had an old Merlin version at that time because the router had some limitations. Now that I have a newer one, perhaps I won’t need to install some additional packages for everything to work.

By the way... now that the script works fine from the routher cron, it also works by calling the script from Home Assistant, although I will stick to the router thing in order to keep such task where it really should be (the main "server", instead of another device inside the network).

Last edited: