What's new

Best Layer 3 Switch for Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You know the one strange thing about setting up the vlan trunk port for the WAP321 off the SG200 is I had to set up the trunk with 1T,2T just for the WAP321. I run all my other trunk ports with 1UP,2T including the other WAP321 in the SG300. Until I added 1T I lost management to the WAP321 with my workstation plugged directly into the SG200 switch.

Luckily I had not added any ACLs and I connected to the wireless side on VLAN2 and added the 1T and management started working from the LAN side again.

Aren’t VLANs fun.

Last edited:
The CRS does L3 switching at wirespeed non-blocking(assuming switching, not routing) unless you think qualcomm chips arent capable.
The CCR does L3 routing, switching and L2 switching at wirespeed using CPU.
If they werent capable of that i wouldnt be using them

Can you tell me more about your demand?The switch has different configuration according to the requirements, and there are many kinds of brand switch, if you don't like cisco, maybe you can consider huawei switch, compare to same function cisco products, the same huawei products may help you save more money.

Can you tell me more about your demand?The switch has different configuration according to the requirements, and there are many kinds of brand switch, if you don't like cisco, maybe you can consider huawei switch, compare to same function cisco products, the same huawei products may help you save more money.

Yes:

Okay so to recap:
Requirements:
Noise Level: very quiet low speed fans
Top price including any software: $800
Port speed: 10/100/1000 copper
Routing protocols: RIP
Support: Updates and basic warranty included in cost of the hardware

Nice to have:
Noise Level: Fanless
Form Factor: Rack mountable
Routing protocols: OSPF
Support: Lifetime warranty with advanced hardware replacement

Depending on your needs, I think you can choose huawei s5700 switch. S5700-28C-EI can meet all of your needs, but it costs at least $1000. If you have limited funds, then select s5700 switch with standard software Version, but it can not supports OSPF routing protocols.
In general, many manufacturers do not support the switch lifetime warranty, only guarantee for 1-3 years.
Hope it can help you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!