What's new

Best PLC for stream HD and more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SunTzu

Occasional Visitor
What do I got?
I got bricked house but that is not a problem... ceiling is is really big so wirless network can't penetrate it well. At first stage I got modem Linksys AM200->DIR-655 that can't be moved.

Red line is a border of signal.
--------------------------------
What do I want?
Network will be using for
-> Streaming HD movies
-> Remote Desktop (really heavy)
-> network rendering

The most important feature for me is upload capabilities. (sometimes download is fast, but upload is not)....
-----------------------------------------------------

As you can see HTPC is just at another end of my house. I want to put there 5 disk with connected wit RAID5:p Need around 10TB space.

I want to put there Bulldozair or Llano or i7 2600K@4,2GHz+NV 580 for CUDA. TDP for TV is 260W. Since Im really often cut from power supply PC will be connected to UPS. TV NOT.
--------------------------------------------------------

Quastion is will it work? PC+TV can take 800W. I got only one power connection here-> Double Socket.
Will it work well?
What to buy?

Price limit is 100$ or if something is really great 150$.

----------------------------------------------------
My ideas?
XAVB2501 or XAVB2001 can't tell a difference.

Last edited:
Either of those should work. The 2501 just includes a filtered pass-through outlet, so I'd go with that one. Plug it into the wall outlet and plug your power strip into it.
Or try a XAVB5501 500 Mbps kit for higher bandwidth.

I heard that if you connect something through PLC- performance go down by 20-50%... (sometimes singal gone)

What this "filter" do? When I connect my hardware through it will filter noise and make better performance, or it's just made possiblity to use power socket and making performance down...
----------------

I got distance about 20m (60ft), so it's big one? What I can see from tests here there is much difference at same ROOM, but with longer path speed is almost same.....

-----------------

I heard the best companies are Devolo and corinex... No professional tests what I can see. Corinex devices are hard to get.

The filter removes high frequency noise from the wall and the equipment plugged into the outlet. For example, it will remove line noise from a plasma HDTV.

I heard that if you connect something through PLC- performance go down by 20-50%... (sometimes singal gone)
Compared to what?

Tnx.... So it's working.
PC will be connected through UPS, TV&other equipment will be connected through surge protector so it will impact for performance if I use XAVB2001 instead of XAVB2501 ?
------------
As I told you HTPC is about 20m from Router, so at this test http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...line-av-adapter-kit-reviewed?showall=&start=1

Will it be rather C or E?
Do you know what diameter of cable was used at the test?
------------
One more thing did you got a contact with Devolo device. Are they worth of the price?
-----------
Compared to what?
As I told you no rly professional reviews except here.... Half of them doesn't make even a real performance test.

I really want something good and Im confused. Dlink make sometimes really good products like DIR-655 but most of time they don't. No PRO reviews of their PLC. Devolo they said is/was best... no pro reviews too...

What I can see netgear got good balance of power/performance.

Last edited:
I got nice deal....

Netgear XAVB5001 for 90$
vs
XAVB2501-100PES 93$

What will be better if to power socket I will got connected directly
at place A
TV- max TDP 237W
Speaker 5+1
APC UPS 700VA

at place B
UPS 1400VA (PC-Router go through it).

Which one is better?

EDIT:
XAVB5001 -> doesn't got filter
XAVB2501 -> got a filter and a little more expensive.

Last edited:
hehe... This is Poland, even if you buy broken hardware you have to pay for transport.... Returning hardware becouse it's not working like you wanted is not possible... but by law it is.