What's new

Best powerline equipment when GFCI is part of the picture?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So far I've tried a Trendnet TPL-430A and a TP-Link WPA 7617. I 500Mbps service but most results for my office in the garage which by code has GFCIs is 20/6. Sometimes more - sometimes less. One thing both have in common is that the "remote" device does have a ground which implies that neutral/ground isn't used - which I think would be the best.
I thought a D-Link DHP701AV might work but the firmware hasn't been updated for years and I can't buy new ones on the big "A".

So far I've tried a Trendnet TPL-430A and a TP-Link WPA 7617. I 500Mbps service but most results for my office in the garage which by code has GFCIs is 20/6. Sometimes more - sometimes less. One thing both have in common is that the "remote" device does have a ground which implies that neutral/ground isn't used - which I think would be the best.
I thought a D-Link DHP701AV might work but the firmware hasn't been updated for years and I can't buy new ones on the big "A".

PLA is a crapshoot. Yours is more crappy than some (and less crappy than others). It is not uncommon for a garage to be wired with a shared neutral which could be causing some issues. It is unlikely different brands will yield much different result, which is why I'd suggest looking into the P2P wireless.

I installed 4 of Trendnet AV2 adapters TPL-422E. They are about 4 times faster than my old Netgear powerline adapters. Keeping these and getting a set of 2 (TPL-422E2K) for my other network - yes we have 2 networks. 1 is on a VPN and 1 straight out - 1 for secure traffic like my computers and 1 for visitors. The straight is also used for the few websites that don't allow VPN traffic - mostly Etailers.

The adapters don't have WiFi like my former products so I'm just buying inexpensive dual band routers for my office and the courtyard. Getting the 4 setup was time consuming - I ditched the included "user guide" and downloaded the full manual which has much more information. Even with that took longer than I expected. One interesting thing was different from my previous product was that every adapter is identical.

I installed 4 of Trendnet AV2 adapters TPL-422E. They are about 4 times faster than my old Netgear powerline adapters. Keeping these and getting a set of 2 (TPL-422E2K) for my other network - yes we have 2 networks. 1 is on a VPN and 1 straight out - 1 for secure traffic like my computers and 1 for visitors. The straight is also used for the few websites that don't allow VPN traffic - mostly Etailers.

The adapters don't have WiFi like my former products so I'm just buying inexpensive dual band routers for my office and the courtyard. Getting the 4 setup was time consuming - I ditched the included "user guide" and downloaded the full manual which has much more information. Even with that took longer than I expected. One interesting thing was different from my previous product was that every adapter is identical.

80/36 is still pretty lousy but if it works for you, then sounds like you're good.