What's new

Best practices for firmware updates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grizfan

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an Asus RT-AX58U, currently with version 386.5 of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. I purchased this router a couple of years ago from Flashrouters to use my ExpressVPN to stream US TV programming after we moved to Europe. So far, it has worked great. But, I've been a bit hesitant to mess with the firmware, so it looks like I'm a couple revisions behind. I want to add another Asus router to set up an AiMesh network, so I figured now is a good time to make sure I have the most recent updates.
But, I'm worried about making a mistake and causing problems. Is there a guide somewhere or any suggestions for the best and safest way to update the firmware? Is it possible to backup the current configuration to restore if something does go wrong? It looks like a first download the latest firmware file, then upload to the router?
asus firmware.png

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Hi,

I have an Asus RT-AX58U, currently with version 386.5 of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. I purchased this router a couple of years ago from Flashrouters to use my ExpressVPN to stream US TV programming after we moved to Europe. So far, it has worked great. But, I've been a bit hesitant to mess with the firmware, so it looks like I'm a couple revisions behind. I want to add another Asus router to set up an AiMesh network, so I figured now is a good time to make sure I have the most recent updates.
But, I'm worried about making a mistake and causing problems. Is there a guide somewhere or any suggestions for the best and safest way to update the firmware? Is it possible to backup the current configuration to restore if something does go wrong? It looks like a first download the latest firmware file, then upload to the router?
View attachment 54579

thanks!
BACKUPMON can definitely help back up this particular configuration, and restore it back to its original settings after you have reloaded the 386.5 firmware. Restores would only be advised to be installed back onto the same level of firmware... so you can't be on 388.4, and restore back to 386.5. You'd need to load the firmware first, then restore through BACKUPMON.

I would probably upgrade to the latest FW available on 386.x... after a successful boot, upgrade to the latest on 388.x. Others may say just jump directly to 388.4... others may even be more cautious. One of the best things you can do always, is make sure you dismount your USB drive or "safely remove disk" from the UI before you start uploading/upgrading your firmware. @L&LD has some great guides.

Last edited:
Hi,

View attachment 54579

thanks!

You could buy your new router and commission it... install current firmware, Hard Reset that firmware to its default settings, and then configure it from scratch. Once your new router/network is installed, you can do same for your existing AX58U and add it to your AiMesh.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE

You could buy your new router and commission it... install current firmware, Hard Reset that firmware to its default settings, and then configure it from scratch. Once your new router/network is installed, you can do same for your existing AX58U and add it to your AiMesh.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE
sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I do not want to do anything to my existing AX58U, other than make sure it has the most recent firmware. It is working great, and I have my ExpressVPN setup with it, and I don't want to in anyway risk that setup. so, resetting and configuring from scratch is 100% out for my existing AX58U, I just want to extend the range of my network using AiMesh, and thought that getting current on the firmware would help with that.

sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I do not want to do anything to my existing AX58U, other than make sure it has the most recent firmware. It is working great, and I have my ExpressVPN setup with it, and I don't want to in anyway risk that setup. so, resetting and configuring from scratch is 100% out for my existing AX58U, I just want to extend the range of my network using AiMesh, and thought that getting current on the firmware would help with that.

I understand... it's natural to fear changing anything. And you may not want to afford a better main router. But that doesn't change my advice... upgrade your AiMesh by upgrading your router (keeps your existing router intact for the time being)... you may not need to add a node for more coverage, but if you do, you can add your AX58U. This is the AiMesh way, for better or worse.

If you intend to connect your AiMesh node with a shared wireless backhaul, then know that this link improves with more matching antennas/streams on each end.. 3 or 4 per band is much better than 2 per band.

OE

Is there a guide somewhere or any suggestions for the best and safest way to update the firmware? Is it possible to backup the current configuration to restore if something does go wrong? It looks like a first download the latest firmware file, then upload to the router?
1. Download a copy of your current firmware (386.5).
2. Make a backup of your current settings. Go to Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting and click on "Save setting" and "Backup JFFS partition".

If things go wrong you will now be able to get back to where you were by reinstalling the old firmware and restoring your old data.

To install the new firmware simply download it from the website and upload it to the router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!