What's new

Best Way to connect 2 RT-AC66U's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zoulas

Occasional Visitor
Good morning gents, I am new to this forum. I have a RT-AC66u and was given a second one. My house is three levels and I want to get the best coverage. I have ethernet cable on the 1st and 2nd floor. My plan was to hard wire both and make one just an access point (no dhcp and with static address). Then configure the 2 2.4 ghz radios with he same ssid and same security on different channels, and the other 2 5ghz radios with he same ssid and same security on also on different channels. I know with this config there may be some issues with roaming but I can assure you I will not be watching a movie while walking around the house. Do I set either one in repeater mode, or do I set them in bridge mode? Or leave them as is? Once again, they will both be hard wired to the LAN so the access points will not be communicating between each other wirelessly . Any help would be appreciated and if you can communicate to me any specific settings I should have for a dual hard wired router config as described above.

Many Thanks, Aristotle

Set UP recommendations

Assuming that you have a router and that you are then connecting to the ASUS units to them using Ethernet, you then need to set both ASUS units to operate in the AP mode and assign them a reserved static IP using the ASUS built in software. Your router will then handle all the DHCP assignments for other connected devices.

As you said put each of the ASUS units on a non over lapping channel (1, 6, 11). Test and/or experiment to see which of these channels combinations best and/or is less congested. Sometimes using another channel may work better. For some reason one of my APs works much better (higher throughput ) on 9 even though it overlaps another of my APs on 11.

If it was my network setup I would use different SSIDs on each of my ASUS APs so it would be easier to tell if you are connected to the nearest and hopefully strongest radio signal. My wife can understand the concept of connecting to BEDROOM, LIVINGROOM or LOWERLEVEL. She could not or at least would not pay attention to RSSI levels and connect to the strongest signal called MYNETWORK instead she would just complain like hell when her VOIP calls dropped of were of poor quality. You still can use the same paraphrase for all SSIDs to again make it easier for anyone to connect by not having to remember multiple paraphrases.

Good morning gents, I am new to this forum. I have a RT-AC66u and was given a second one. My house is three levels and I want to get the best coverage. I have ethernet cable on the 1st and 2nd floor. My plan was to hard wire both and make one just an access point (no dhcp and with static address). Then configure the 2 2.4 ghz radios with he same ssid and same security on different channels, and the other 2 5ghz radios with he same ssid and same security on also on different channels. I know with this config there may be some issues with roaming but I can assure you I will not be watching a movie while walking around the house. Do I set either one in repeater mode, or do I set them in bridge mode? Or leave them as is? Once again, they will both be hard wired to the LAN so the access points will not be communicating between each other wirelessly . Any help would be appreciated and if you can communicate to me any specific settings I should have for a dual hard wired router config as described above.

Many Thanks, Aristotle

Howdy,
I am doing exactly what you want, but with my RT-N66U units.
1 is the main DHCP router, the 2nd is attached ethernet, and is set as AP. I use the same passphrase at all radios, but I do use different SSID's. Most items which are wireless, I can connect to the SSID that I want, not just roaming. It also makes it easier for trouble shooting.

say for instance
1st router
2.4 channel 1 main2
5 channel 149 main5
2nd as AP
2.4 channel 11 upper2
5 channel 160 upper5

Of course all WPA2 for fastest connections

HINT: when the 2nd unit is set as AP, the wired connection is through the WAN port, so you still have the 4 ports to use as well.

Hey mates.
The same question actually.

I'm from russia, live in suburbs of saint petersburg.
Stupid situation, 10km outside city border, and I even can't get any internet line for reasonable price.

Had to put together some money, smth like 3k$ simply to get internet line to my house. So I have hardly any exp with wi-fi net stuff.

It's easier for me to get 2-3 RT-AC66U's then anything else here.

So the question is.

If I get one of them at the "entrance". And put internet line at "internet port", connect the second one via ethernet cable, wiil it work just fine? I'll be able to use all this nice soft, like priority devices and all this stuff with devices connected to both of them? Or only to the "first one" :confused:

Sorry if my english sucks and my questions are stupid and no fun:D
But none of russian forums get me any answers.

Also I'm planning to get 3 Dune medialplayers and NAS storage for all this stuff. Any advices? )

Thanks, one of the 2 will be used as the router.

Connect the modem to the WAN port on unit #1. Set this unit up as the router.

Run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on unit #1 to a LAN port on unit#2 and set unit #2 as an AP.

While you can connect LAN - WAN you will have created two networks so controlling unit #2 from the network of unit #1 will be more involved and sharing networked resources will also be more complicated.

KISS. At least start off by connecting LAN to LAN and get everything else working before trying to a LAN - WAN setup.

If you were running DD-WRT on unit #2 you could through the software make all five Ethernet jacks LAN ports. I don't know if this is possible using either the ASUS native software or Merlin's customization, but I haven't seen the option.

If you find that you need more Ethernet ports you can always add a four port switch for $10 - $20. I recently bought a TP-Link eight port router for $27. I use it as a router, but it could also be used as a switch by changing a couple of settings.

While you can connect LAN - WAN you will have created two networks so controlling unit #2 from the network of unit #1 will be more involved and sharing networked resources will also be more complicated.

KISS. At least start off by connecting LAN to LAN and get everything else working before trying to a LAN - WAN setup.

I set up a similar network this past weekend, and while I am happy with the results (so far), your point above about LAN <--> LAN raises some doubts.

Brief background -- my in-laws have their wireless router (good old DIR-655) on the bottom floor in a corner of their house and needed to improve coverage on the second floor. They are not wired for ethernet, and after trying and failing with a variety of solutions, including powerline adapters, I gave MOCA a shot. Worked like a charm. So far so good.

I then bought a second wireless router to use as an access point (Asus RT-N66R, which as far as I can tell is just the retail version of the RT-N66U). Basic steps:

1. Assign the N66R a static IP
2. Reserve that IP on the primary router (DIR-655)
3. Connect the upstairs LAN (via the MOCA adapter) to the WAN port on the N66R (see thoughts below...)
4. Configure the N66R for AP mode via one click GUI setting (DHCP is disabled, etc.)
5. Change the N66R's SSID to match that of the DIR-655 and give it the same WPA security key
6. Put the 655 on channel 1 and the N66R on channel 7 to prevent interference -- I haven't played around with the channel settings, but this seems to work fine for now.

Everything seems to be OK, but... when I first started researching how to set up an AP, at least using a standard wireless router and not a dedicated AP, a key step was to connect the LAN to an open LAN port on the AP, not to the AP's WAN port. Right now, it is LAN to WAN -- again, it seems to be working fine, but should I have gone LAN to LAN? I feel like there's something I'm not thinking of or some problem that this might cause down the road, and what you said about complications in terms of network sharing got me thinking. Anyway, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to get this same setup going. I have my first Asus set as the router with the default IP. I ran the ethernet cable out to the 2nd Asus router. When I clicked on the network it broadcasted, it brings me to the initial setup screen. I chose AP and assigned it a different IP. Ive tried connecting it LAN to LAN, and LAN to WAN. Neither is working. Any ideas?

edited to add: i also went ahead and set the control channel on the main router. I am unable to connect to the secondary either via the IP or using the device finder Asus provides.

I set up a similar network this past weekend, and while I am happy with the results (so far), your point above about LAN <--> LAN raises some doubts.

Brief background -- my in-laws have their wireless router (good old DIR-655) on the bottom floor in a corner of their house and needed to improve coverage on the second floor. They are not wired for ethernet, and after trying and failing with a variety of solutions, including powerline adapters, I gave MOCA a shot. Worked like a charm. So far so good.

I then bought a second wireless router to use as an access point (Asus RT-N66R, which as far as I can tell is just the retail version of the RT-N66U). Basic steps:

1. Assign the N66R a static IP
2. Reserve that IP on the primary router (DIR-655)
3. Connect the upstairs LAN (via the MOCA adapter) to the WAN port on the N66R (see thoughts below...)
4. Configure the N66R for AP mode via one click GUI setting (DHCP is disabled, etc.)
5. Change the N66R's SSID to match that of the DIR-655 and give it the same WPA security key
6. Put the 655 on channel 1 and the N66R on channel 7 to prevent interference -- I haven't played around with the channel settings, but this seems to work fine for now.

Everything seems to be OK, but... when I first started researching how to set up an AP, at least using a standard wireless router and not a dedicated AP, a key step was to connect the LAN to an open LAN port on the AP, not to the AP's WAN port. Right now, it is LAN to WAN -- again, it seems to be working fine, but should I have gone LAN to LAN? I feel like there's something I'm not thinking of or some problem that this might cause down the road, and what you said about complications in terms of network sharing got me thinking. Anyway, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

The reason you can use connect to the WAN port on your on your ASUS router being used as an AP and don't have to
connect to a LAN port is the ASUS (and some other routers that have an AP mode ) converts or lets you convert the WAN port to a LAN port. This is a plus as it gives you four useable LAN ports after using the WAN port for the interconnection between the router and the AP.

Just a FYI for you if you use the AP's firmware to assign it a static LAN IP no need to repeat the process and assign it a static IP on the router. The advantage of doing it using the router is that it will be almost impossible to assign duplicate IPs. By using the firmware on a piece of networked gear you could by mistake assign the same IP already being used elsewhere.

Also I'm planning to get .... NAS storage for all this stuff. Any advices? )

Many on this forum like Synology or QNAP products. I am very happy with my Synology DS209+ and DS214.

If you purchase the disks separately, make sure that they are designed for RAID use. This is important because if one disk reacts with a delay (perhaps because it is busy doing a self-test), the RAID controller will think it has failed and will write only to the other disk. You will then have to rebuild the array. Disks designed for RAID use are better behaved in this respect.

WD RED disks seem a popular choice and I am happy with mine. If uptime is important to you, you may want to buy a spare disk at the same time, so that if a disk fails you are sure to be able to replace it quickly with another similar one. (Perhaps this is overkill - it depends on your point of view :) )

I am trying to get this same setup going. I have my first Asus set as the router with the default IP. I ran the ethernet cable out to the 2nd Asus router. When I clicked on the network it broadcasted, it brings me to the initial setup screen. I chose AP and assigned it a different IP. Ive tried connecting it LAN to LAN, and LAN to WAN. Neither is working. Any ideas?

edited to add: i also went ahead and set the control channel on the main router. I am unable to connect to the secondary either via the IP or using the device finder Asus provides.
Howdy,
Do not over think it.
First router setup as router out of the box, set your SSID's and passwords. Run your network cable to the second unit. Before you hook it up, connect your computer to it and from out of the box, set it as AP mode, set your SSID's and passwords. Now set it in place and connect that network cable to the WAN port on this second unit you just set as AP mode. you are done.

Howdy,
Do not over think it.
First router setup as router out of the box, set your SSID's and passwords. Run your network cable to the second unit. Before you hook it up, connect your computer to it and from out of the box, set it as AP mode, set your SSID's and passwords. Now set it in place and connect that network cable to the WAN port on this second unit you just set as AP mode. you are done.

Thank you for the response! Would I be hooking it up USB or via ethernet port to set it up?

Thank you for the response! Would I be hooking it up USB or via ethernet port to set it up?
Howdy,
You would run a Cat5e or better cable to the spot you want the additional coverage, and place the AP router #2 there. The main router #1 would have the network cable plugged into a LAN port. The AP router #2, would have this plugged into the WAN port. The main router will be supplying the IP's since it is the DHCP server for the network. Your done.

Howdy,
You would run a Cat5e or better cable to the spot you want the additional coverage, and place the AP router #2 there. The main router #1 would have the network cable plugged into a LAN port. The AP router #2, would have this plugged into the WAN port. The main router will be supplying the IP's since it is the DHCP server for the network. Your done.
Only plug the cable connecting the two routers into the second router's WAN port if the second router's firmware converts or allows you to convert the WAN port to a LAN port.

If you don't convert the WAN port to a LAN port you will be double NATed. Nothing wrong with this setup however then the second router will also be a DHCP server and must be in a different subnet than the first router.

Only plug the cable connecting the two routers into the second router's WAN port if the second router's firmware converts or allows you to convert the WAN port to a LAN port.

If you don't convert the WAN port to a LAN port you will be double NATed. Nothing wrong with this setup however then the second router will also be a DHCP server and must be in a different subnet than the first router.
Howdy,
CaptainSTX, pay attention here. read the thread.
2 x ASUS AC66U units.
1 unit set as router
1 unit set as ap
connected with cat5 or better line. (100meters=theoretical 328ft)
have a good day

Ok, I have a question regarding this setup as well. If I assign a static IP to the AP, does the IP of the AP have to fall within the range of the DHCP pool? My router starts handing out IPs at .16, and everything I assign a static IP to usually gets something between .2 or .15 to avoid IP conflicts. I'm just curious if the AP needs to fall within the range of the DHCP pool in order for clients connecting to the AP to get assigned an IP address?

Ok, I have a question regarding this setup as well. If I assign a static IP to the AP, does the IP of the AP have to fall within the range of the DHCP pool? My router starts handing out IPs at .16, and everything I assign a static IP to usually gets something between .2 or .15 to avoid IP conflicts. I'm just curious if the AP needs to fall within the range of the DHCP pool in order for clients connecting to the AP to get assigned an IP address?
Howdy,
I have the same situation.
DHCP scope x.x.x.100-150 handed out. Static IP of AP router at x.x.x.2 and say printers at x.x.x.90
Asus router at x.x.x.1 DHCP server, master router wifi 2.4 @ channel 1 and 5 @ 149
Asus router as AP at x.x.x.2 wifi 2.4 @ channel 11 and 5 @ 161

So yes having IP out of the scope does work. I also set them as static assigned IP from the main router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!