What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 2 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disabled the sw_devled watchdog on the RT-AC56U, as I have a feeling this model isn't supposed to use it. This resolves the LEDs turning off at boot time.

380.59 beta2 "Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)" setting on a AC56 or 68U using custom location " with NAT acceleration "CTF auto" the AC56 or 68U will not recover, must use the WPS or MASTER reset buttons to recover to defaults.... OLD HAT STUFF!

cheers

Works for me. CTF properly gets disabled, and the router functions normally after I enable IPTraffic. Try with a different USB disk.

Merlin, are these tweaks specific to this beta build, or can these be used on previous releases as well?
Thanks cybrnook and RMerlin, also wanted to know if could experiment with bufferbloat reduction on version _58 for an RT-AC68u.

By the way, for some reason found it easier to apply these changes in the following order (i.e. there was no lock-up after wirelessly secure-shelling in and referring to .../eth1/...) :
echo "40" > /sys/class/net/eth2/tx_queue_len
echo "8" > /sys/class/net/eth0/tx_queue_len
echo "40" > /sys/class/net/eth1/tx_queue_len

Niceee to see this going to the master branch and is released here as beta 2! Thanks RMerlin! Will try this now and report my findings.

@RMerlin I'm experiencing an issue with Samba on my RT-AC68P with 380.59 beta 2. I had the same issue when I was briefly on 380.58. I did not have the issue with 380.57 or any of the stock versions including 380.2695, so I'm assuming it is something specific to the Merlin branch. I'm hoping you can help me diagnose the problem.

Here is the setup. WD Elements 4TB HDD attached through USB 3.0. One partition is ext4 used for backups over Samba and the other partition is HFS+ for backups over TimeMachine. I only have metrics for my Windows backups using Acronis so I don't know if the issue also affects TimeMachine. I have daily backups run. One day a week, it is a full backup and the rest of the days it is a differential backup. Under 380.58 and 380.59 the full backup went from 1.5 hours to 10 and the differentials went from 3 minutes to 30. I was hoping the issue was just with 380.58 because I also experienced other issues but I am now seeing it with 380.59 beta 2 after going back to 380.2695 and seeing the problem go away. What kind of logs or info can I get you to help figure out what the issue is?

For my router config, it is super simple. I reset to factory every time and I only change a few things. In terms of disk related changes, I disable that USB 3.0 interference setting, I turn on TimeMachine, I enable Samba with a non-default device name, simple share naming and force as master browser, and I enable the media server with it set to one specific folder.

Nothing has changed with my config in months and it is 100% reproducible and there are no issues that I have seen with the speed of my connection between firmware versions so it must be something internal to the router's samba. As I type this, a full backup has been going on for over 6 hours. Windows task manager shows an oddly steady 32.1 Mbps coming from Acronis and the router GUI shows 1 core at 6% and the other at 40%. Memory is at 89%. Does the 32.1 Mbps stand out to you? It is odd that it is so steady.

Has anyone else noticed that Traditional QOS seems broken with ipv6 in this build? The download speeds I see with traditional QOS on are 10% of what they should be per the settings (they're pretty close to the upload speeds actually...) This happens no matter which of the 3 schedulers I choose.

Has anyone else noticed that Traditional QOS seems broken with ipv6 in this build? The download speeds I see with traditional QOS on are 10% of what they should be per the settings (they're pretty close to the upload speeds actually...) This happens no matter which of the 3 schedulers I choose.
Can't confirm that, with native IPv6 I get similar speeds with IPv4.

For people who want to experiment even further in bufferbloat reduction, try reducing your network interface queue lengths on your router:

Code:
echo "8" > /sys/class/net/eth0/tx_queue_len
echo "40" > /sys/class/net/eth1/tx_queue_len
echo "40" > /sys/class/net/eth2/tx_queue_len

These would work for any router models.

On AC87U..

Code:
admin@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/net/eth1/tx_queue_len
admin@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/net/eth0/tx_queue_len
admin@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/net/eth2/tx_queue_len
cat: can't open '/sys/class/net/eth2/tx_queue_len': No such file or directory
admin@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root#

I'm seeing some frequent disconnects of the 2.4GHz, i.e. 1 every 30-90 seconds. Stats:

Channel 1
Width: 20MHz
SNR: ~25-30dB average
Signal: ~ -35dBm average
Mode b/g/n
Basic rates 1,2,5.5,11 Mbps

Other networks:
-Channel 6 (20 MHz)
-Channel 11 (2 networks, 20 MHz)

no bluetooth, microwave ovens, wireless mice, DECT phones nearby. as far as I know there are no other 2.4 GHz sources other than WiFi.

The spectrum seems clean as far as WiFi is concerned but indeed SNR is not great despite a very strong signal. Still, I'd expect the router to be able to cope with this quite well but something is happening.

I tried to diagnose the WiFi dropouts but I see nothing in any of the system logs. Sure there must be a log of radio disconnects but where?

Anybody else seeing this behaviour on 2.4 GHz? the 5GHz seems a lot more stable

I'm seeing some frequent disconnects of the 2.4GHz, i.e. 1 every 30-90 seconds. Stats:

Anybody else seeing this behaviour on 2.4 GHz? the 5GHz seems a lot more stable
if you don`t have 2.4Ghz clients you can safely disable 2.4Ghz network.....i have three 5Ghz clients and i disabled 2.4Ghz network.....all working fine....:)

The issue I just reported on Beta 1 about USB automount problems seems to have been resolved with Beta 2.
Back to automounting fine on reboot.

For my custom version of the Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 firmware, something changed that broke compatibility with the Tuxera filesystem drivers.

What are the new dependencies for the Tuxera filesystem drivers, tntfs.ko and tfat.ko, in the RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 380.59? See the log.

/tmp/syslog.log
Code:
tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol generic_file_splice_read
tntfs: Unknown symbol generic_file_splice_read (err -22)
tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol generic_file_splice_write
tntfs: Unknown symbol generic_file_splice_write (err -22)
tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol kernel_recvmsg
tntfs: Unknown symbol kernel_recvmsg (err -22)
tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol unregister_sysctl_table
tntfs: Unknown symbol unregister_sysctl_table (err -22)
tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol register_sysctl_table
tntfs: Unknown symbol register_sysctl_table (err -22)

tfat: disagrees about version of symbol generic_file_splice_read
tfat: Unknown symbol generic_file_splice_read (err -22)
tfat: disagrees about version of symbol generic_file_splice_write
tfat: Unknown symbol generic_file_splice_write (err -22)
tfat: disagrees about version of symbol kernel_recvmsg
tfat: Unknown symbol kernel_recvmsg (err -22)
tfat: disagrees about version of symbol unregister_sysctl_table
tfat: Unknown symbol unregister_sysctl_table (err -22)
tfat: disagrees about version of symbol register_sysctl_table
tfat: Unknown symbol register_sysctl_table (err -22)

Tools - System Information
Code:
Model
RT-AC68U

Firmware Version
380.59_beta2

Driver version
wl0: Apr 12 2016 13:03:45 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

Features
mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash ipv6 dualwan pptpd openvpnd printer appnet snmp tor diskutility HTTPS ssh vpnc repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn nfsd dnssec user_low_rssi sparse bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo reboot_schedule

~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/target.mak
Code:
IPSEC=y
MEDIASRV=n
MODEM=n
MODEMPIN=n
PARENTAL2=n
WEBDAV=n
CLOUDSYNC=n
EMAIL=n
DROPBOXCLIENT=n
TIMEMACHINE=n
MDNS=n
JFFS2LOG=n
BWDPI=n
SWEBDAVCLIENT=n
BCM5301X_TRAFFIC_MONITOR=n
CLOUDCHECK=n
DNSFILTER=n

if you don`t have 2.4Ghz clients you can safely disable 2.4Ghz network.....i have three 5Ghz clients and i disabled 2.4Ghz network.....all working fine....:)
unfortunately I need both..

I forced the channel width to 20 MHz in the GUI and it went a lot better (even if it was already at 20 MHz but in 20/40 MHz settings). Problem is that then I forced it to 40 MHz and it still ran fine. Then back to 20/40 and still fine. Doesn't seem to be anything systematic with that but I find it concerning that the problem simply "disappeared".

Does anybody know where I can see any logs at all related to the radios going up or down?

i think those test from speedtest or dslreport sites is not real measuring. i tested now ten times just with disabled QoS and got very different speedtest, bufferbloat and quality results....we need one better way to real test our network quality.....

What are the new dependencies for the Tuxera filesystem drivers, tntfs.ko and tfat.ko, in the RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 380.59? See the log.

You will have to diff the whole target.mak profile to figure out which setting you are missing, or you have set differently from Asus. Settings such as DEBUGFS will cause kernel symbol changes if they are changed, so they must match what's used by Asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!