What's new

connmon [BETA2] connmon v3.0.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
I'm pleased to announce the beta of connmon v3.0.0

connmon v3.0.0 introduces a significant new feature: notifications/integrations.

Currently, supported mechanisms for notifications/integrations are:
There are 4 "events" which trigger the notifications:
  • On each ping test
  • Ping threshold exceeded
  • Jitter threshold exceeded
  • Line Quality threshold exceeded
To try out the beta, install connmon via amtm (if you don't have connmon installed already), exit back to the SSH prompt and then run
Code:
/jffs/scripts/connmon develop
Once updated, use option n to access the new menus or use the WebUI

Any and all feedback is welcome. If anyone is unsure on what a particular service does and isn't sure how to set it up with connmon (e.g. Pushover) then please post and I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Email configuration
connmon marks a move to a standalone email configuration that can be utilised by other scripts. If you have Diversion installed, connmon will detect this and migrate Diversion's config to the new standalone location with is /jffs/addons/amtm/mail
connmon will create links for Diversion to follow the configuration to the above location

The intention is that when amtm is updated with an email configuration script, users will not need to re-create everything.

woah - healthchecks.io can message me in Signal. that's excelsior!

So... I installed the connmon v3.0.0 beta. Great implementation! It works well.

Personally, I configured it with Pushover for push notifications to my phone with thresholds fairly close to normal history for my connection — 28.5 ms ping to Google, 4 ms jitter, and 95% line quality. My thought is that I want to be notified as performance strays away from my norm, while history is maintained on the router itself.

One request for you to consider: Please add the configured threshold values for each configured parameter on the main configuration page, if possible. I prefer to see a summary of settings.

RT-AX88U router, Spectrum (1Gb down, 35 Mb down) Internet connection.

BTW, I had not previously used Pushover. Configuration with connmon was very intuitive -- it took a total of about 5 minutes to download, create account, create app, and configure connmon.

@Jack Yaz

Great work yet again Jack, I'm up and running on Pushover and Email for now as a test-bed.
Hoping spdMerlin will be your "next victim" for the notifications treatment once this one is done!

First time using pushover. Found out that I have to login pushover.net first to crate an Application/API Token. Then paste the token in connmon. It is working now.
On the email part, I try to use gmail but get a critical security alert from Google. The sign-in attempt was blocked. Any way to clean the email information entered?
Another nice addition by Jack.

First time using pushover. Found out that I have to login pushover.net first to crate an Application/API Token. Then paste the token in connmon. It is working now.
On the email part, I try to use gmail but get a critical security alert from Google. The sign-in attempt was blocked. Any way to clean the email information entered?
Another nice addition by Jack.
For Gmail you have to use an app password, and you may have to enable the "allow lesz secure login" option in gmail if i recall correctly

For Gmail you have to use an app password, and you may have to enable the "allow lesz secure login" option in gmail if i recall correctly
Thanks. I will check the options. Say I am happy with pushover and do not need email for the time being, is there a way I can clear the email information entered earlier (I know I can leave it there and ignore it)?
By the way, noticed a cosmetic difference on the event reporting date format between check connection now and scheduled automatic ping test.

2021-08-19 16.12.37.jpg

Thanks. I will check the options. Say I am happy with pushover and do not need email for the time being, is there a way I can clear the email information entered earlier (I know I can leave it there and ignore it)?
By the way, noticed a cosmetic difference on the event reporting date format between check connection now and scheduled automatic ping test.

View attachment 35819
you can delete the files in /jffs/addons/amtm/mail
note this will break email for diversion if you use it

there shouldn't be a difference (assuming you mean option 1 in the cli and/or manual test in WebUI) as they call the same functions
EDIT: in the CLI, can you run:
Code:
which date
date "+%c"

you can delete the files in /jffs/addons/amtm/mail
note this will break email for diversion if you use it

there shouldn't be a difference (assuming you mean option 1 in the cli and/or manual test in WebUI) as they call the same functions
EDIT: in the CLI, can you run:
Code:
which date
date "+%c"
One (12:12PM) is option 1 manual test from CLI, the other (12:15PM) is notification type 1 from schedule ping test which run every 5 minutes.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# which date
/opt/bin/date
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# date "+%c"
Thu 19 Aug 2021 06:39:06 PM MYT

One (12:12PM) is option 1 manual test from CLI, the other (12:15PM) is notification type 1 from schedule ping test which run every 5 minutes.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# which date
/opt/bin/date
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# date "+%c"
Thu 19 Aug 2021 06:39:06 PM MYT
ahh you have an entware version of date installed, which the CLI menu will use but not the scheduled test as it doesn't use your PATH

ahh you have an entware version of date installed, which the CLI menu will use but not the scheduled test as it doesn't use your PATH
Thanks for your explanation. Now I see why. But I have no idea how it become like this. How to fix this?
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/jffs/addons/amtm/mail# /opt/bin/date "+%c"
Thu 19 Aug 2021 07:16:49 PM MYT
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/jffs/addons/amtm/mail# /bin/date "+%c"
Thu Aug 19 19:16:56 2021

Thanks for your explanation. Now I see why. But I have no idea how it become like this. How to fix this?
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/jffs/addons/amtm/mail# /opt/bin/date "+%c"
Thu 19 Aug 2021 07:16:49 PM MYT
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/jffs/addons/amtm/mail# /bin/date "+%c"
Thu Aug 19 19:16:56 2021
you'd need to track down which entware packages you have installed that might have installed date
in the meantime, i'll fix this in beta2 and my other scripts by explicitly calling the built-in date

My home Internet service was down for over 2 hours yesterday when I was out at work. Obviously Pushover failed to send notification during that time. I know this is out of the scope of this version of connmon. It just got me thinking if any notification can be send when service resume after an outage?

My home Internet service was down for over 2 hours yesterday when I was out at work. Obviously Pushover failed to send notification during that time. I know this is out of the scope of this version of connmon. It just got me thinking if any notification can be send when service resume after an outage?
this is planned but i don't know if it will be a 3.0.0 or 3.1.0 feature
the WebUI is taking a bit longer as halfway through I decided to overhaul it

It just got me thinking if any notification can be send when service resume after an outage
This is way out of scope here, but whenever my internet goes out an email is generated by my SIP provider, and whenever it is restored another email is generated. So maybe you have something entirely apart from the router that can be triggered on a loss of connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.