What's new

Beware Doing This With Your QoS Bandwidth Limiter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf3574

Occasional Visitor
Last night I did a reset on my RT-AC3200 that was running the latest Asus firmware (378.9529) then installed the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (380.58) after the reset was complete as it was acting a little hinky (Bandwidth Limiter wasn't working at all). Everything worked great until I got to the QoS, enabled the Bandwidth Limiter and set the target devices & speeds. After I had entered all the information and applied it, I found that I could no longer connect to my home network, the router or the internet. I spent the next hour thinking it was my computer only eventually to find that my laptop, cellphone, tablet and my wife's laptop were effected as well.

I finally disconnected everything, including the modem, left the computer I was working from connected to the router and, viola, I could connect to the router again. After plugging each network device back in (printer and NAS) I logged out of the router and checked to see if I could reconnect to the router. When I finally plugged the modem back in, I couldn't connect to anything again, so I disconnected it and discovered that my connection to the router and home network worked again.

What I had done to cause this chaos was create a list of bandwidth limited devices by the name I had given them on the router with no associated MAC. It appears to be a bug that blocks all access to and from the router so long as the modem is connected to the router. Lesson learned, do not make a Bandwidth Limiter Client List with just names, use the MAC address or wait until the device is connected to limit it.

I don't know if this bug affects the official Asus firmware, but I can definitely say that it does have an effect on the current Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Everything worked great until I got to the QoS, enabled the Bandwidth Limiter and set the target devices & speeds. After I had entered all the information and applied it, I found that I could no longer connect to my home network, the router or the internet. I spent the next hour thinking it was my computer only eventually to find that my laptop, cellphone, tablet and my wife's laptop were effected as well.

Thanks for sharing...

FWIW - spent an evening helping out a friend that was in a similar situation - come to find out his Broadband provider actually had an outage right about the same time he was tinkering with his router ;)