What's new

Block access to Netflix IPv6 thru HE tunnel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MegaTronics

Occasional Visitor
I have an HE IPv6 tunnel up and running, everything is working fine except Netflix tells me that I use a proxy and disable the playback. when I remove the HE tunnel everything is working normal.

My idea is to block the IPv6 adresses from Netflix in the Asus, so it would fallback to IPv4 and keeps working. Has anyone an idea if this is possible and if so, how can I activate it in the Asus?

I think it should be by ip6tables, so I will try somethings myself but every help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could configure dnsmasq's DNS forwarder to only return IPv4 addresses for Netflix domains.

OK, I have got something working. When I use te following commands the IPv6 range of Netflix is blocked:

ip6tables -I FORWARD -d 2406:da00:ff00::/48 -j REJECT
ip6tables -I FORWARD -d 2600:1407:19::/48 -j REJECT
ip6tables -I FORWARD -d 2607:f8b0:4001::/48 -j REJECT
ip6tables -I FORWARD -d 2620:108:700f::/48 -j REJECT
ip6tables -I FORWARD -d 2a01:578:3::/48 -j REJECT

The ranges I found here.

At first I used a DROP instead of a REJECT, but then the starting of the Android App takes a couple of minutes because it keeps trying to use IPv6 and after some time it would fallback to IPv4.

I have added this commands in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start so it survive a reboot.

Good luck with that. After Notflix blocked HE.net I turned it off. I gave up the last time. No simple instructions just puddy this code script that which is all greek to me. All I wanted to know is how to reject this in Shibby Tomato but it is impossible.

I have no idea if this is also working in Shibby Tomato, but in Merlin it is working, hence this topic in the Merlin forum. :D

Last edited:
Sorry I did make a post here from a Google search not realizing I was on the Merlin forums. I did make a post on the Netgear forums here when the issue started in the summer and got no responses after searching for a solution and finding coding, puddy Greek like language code to me so I gave up.

If you have SSH access on your Tomato router, you could test if the command ip6tables is available. If so, you could copy and paste the 5 ip6tables lines from the above post and test Netflix after that.

However I don't know if it is possible to keep this settings on your router after a reboot.

Thanks anyway but I am leaving HE.net IPv6 off. I notice webpages load quicker without it. Because Google and some other services use IPv6 and sometimes it stalls causing other services and websites to stall. The other day Google would take 2 minutes and not even fully load. Went to Amazon.com which is IPv4 and is anti Google and it loaded right away. Turned it off and rebooted my devices and now things load quicker.

Thanks anyway but I am leaving HE.net IPv6 off. I notice webpages load quicker without it. Because Google and some other services use IPv6 and sometimes it stalls causing other services and websites to stall. The other day Google would take 2 minutes and not even fully load. Went to Amazon.com which is IPv4 and is anti Google and it loaded right away. Turned it off and rebooted my devices and now things load quicker.

Unless there is some problem with your ISP, connecting directly (no VPNs, proxies, etc) will always be faster and quicker.

Thanks but I though despite Netflix error message that IPv6 HE tunnel was not a VPN or proxie.

Thank you! This is cool! My providers 6to4 is so laggy - with this rules I can go back to 6in4 with he.net :)

Ipv6 is still not worth the effort. Of many sites I visit only about 5% I visit use IPv6 many, many still use Ipv4.

@MegaTronics i have this error:

Couldn't load target `REJECT':File not found

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!