What's new

Block Audio / Video chat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooterit

Regular Contributor
I have a remote location with WIFI that is accessible by many users. Problem is that the the backbone is a Satellite ISP has high latency and very limited bandwidth. Due to budget limitations I had to settle with a Asus N600 (RT N65-U) router.

In the QOS setting I gave email and web browsing the highest priority. And the lowest to video streaming and online gaming.

My concern are FaceTime, Google Talk, FaceTime video call, Skype Phone and Video chat etc

I want the text chat to go trough but block any voice or video chat. Since most people have iOS devices I want to prioritize "Messages" traffic.

Any advice how to go about this?

Thanks for your reply,

Rogier

RMerlin's firmware with iptables. In mikrotik routerOS i use L7 hashes to block it. Many such chats are p2p based so in QoS you can lower priority on p2p applications.

RMerlin's firmware with iptables. In mikrotik routerOS i use L7 hashes to block it. Many such chats are p2p based so in QoS you can lower priority on p2p applications.

I don't support the RT-N65U, sorry.

Take a look at Andy Padavan's custom firmware for that model, maybe it does what you need.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!