What's new

Blocking client from internet usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DogT

Occasional Visitor
I have this old Kindle Fire (5th gen) that I'd like to use around the house but want to keep it from connecting at all to the internet. Is there any way to do this with my RT-N66U. I have my ISP's modem connected through ethernet cable and there is another linksys (cheap) router connected to it also as a bridge to the other end of the house. I'd like to stream music with it using wifi/bluetooth but want to prevent it from having access to the internet.

I did see something under firewall about denying access to the internet, but I do not understand all the terminology, I can follow instructions pretty good.

Go to Parental Control and enable it. Then select the Kindle Fire from the drop down list of client names and add it. Apply and you're done.

You say you have a Linksys connected as "a bridge". How exactly is this configured? If it's configured as a wireless repeater that might cause a problem with identifying the Kindle.

So Parental Control will stop all internet usage? This kindle is set up to accept ads.

The lynksys is set up wired directly to the Asus as a second wireless router, the Asus is 192.168.1.1 and the LS is 192.168.1.5. As I remember it was put in the bridge mode to work. Lynksys walked me through it. The Asus wouldn't reach the new w10 computer we put in place of the old W7 laptop that worked fairly good with the Asus. But actually since then I've hard wired the LS directly to the W10 computer, but we do use wireless with the phones in the house. Both routers have the same login and password.

I guess there's no way to limit the MAC address to exclude the internet?

So Parental Control will stop all internet usage? This kindle is set up to accept ads.
Yes, for the specified device. Other devices are unaffected.
I guess there's no way to limit the MAC address to exclude the internet?
That's what the parental control does, it blocks internet access from a MAC address. That's why it's usually better than using the Firewall > Network Services Filter which can only block by IP address.

I'm still not entirely sure how your Linksys is setup (I'm not familiar with their terminology), but so long as your Kindle is connecting directly to the Asus' WiFi and not the Linksys' WiFi then the parental control should work. EDIT: OK I've had a look at this and this and it looks like Linksys' Bridge mode is what Asus would call Access Point mode. So it shouldn't matter what WiFi you connect to.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking about the lynksys. With my smartphones I really can't tell which router it's using. One is downstairs by my computer and the lynksys is upstairs completely on the other end of the house, about 90' away, but there's an ethernet cable connecting them. If I didn't use the smartphones with wifi, I'd disable the wireless on both of them.

I'll try it out. I should be able to tell with Networx if anything is going in or out or even with the N66 in the traffic monitor. that's why I got the N66, so I could monitor traffic on my limited BW ISP. I was having problems until I found out my wife was leaving tabs open with videos continually running. I think I've cured her of that.

Thanks.

Well, the parental control works a treat. Just like I want it to. But the Kindle is such a piece of crap, I haven't figured out what I can do with it. I was thinking about using it as a bluetooth feed, I still may. In the meantime I got a Roku to stream pre-recorded videos I get overnight on the network to the TV. It works fine and once I got it set up and registered, I used the parental controls to block it too. Otherwise it's always looking for stuff on the web. If I ever get decent web service, I may actually use it. It used up about 200MB just getting it set up.

Thanks for the help.