What's new

Book Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone might recommend a book, training material, or other resource recommendation. I'm looking to better understand and support small local area networks. I have a good understanding of setting up routers, NASs, network shares, how IP addressing works and DHCP, etc.

but I lack depth in understanding setup and maintenance of VoIP systems, firwalls, QoS traffic management, VPN, and the management of protocols associated with these services.

Other than reading the individual manuals associated with the equipment, does anyone have better recommendations from which I can draw knowledge.

Thansk and all the best.
Dan

This site :)

Hi Dan,

While I appreciate Mark's recommendation, SNB doesn't really do justice to those advanced topics. I also don't have the background to make any recommendations for the information you are seeking.

You might check the Forums as Spiceworks, which is more of a hub for IT pros.

... might recommend a book, training material, or other resource recommendation. I'm looking to better understand and support small local area networks. .... but I lack depth in understanding setup and maintenance of VoIP systems, firwalls, QoS traffic management, VPN, and the management of protocols associated with these services.

I realize this is an old post, but just for reference purposes I thought it might be useful to leave a note.

Specifically, depending on how in-depth you want to go, I generally recommend the various CISCO training books on Networking, TCP/IP, etcetera. It has been a while, but I seem to recall a very comprehensive Cisco book titled: "Internet Routing Architectures." They also had a broad range of other titles that went far beyond just what you needed to know to manage their routers.

Some of the specific books are:

Internet Routing Architectures by Bassam Halabi, 2nd ed 2000
ISBN: 157870233X co-author: Danny McPherson

CCIE Professional Development: Routing Tcp/Ip, Jeff Doyle. v1, 1998
ISBN: 1578700418

Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development series),
Jeff Doyle. v2, 2001 ISBN: 1578700892

Also, take a look at:

Daryl's TCP/IP Primer at http://www.ipprimer.com
Addressing and Subnetting on the Near Side of the 'Net

Last edited:
I have a web site that basically an on line book. In fact I'm in the process of converting it into an e-book at this time. Since it has a lot of pictures, it is a challenge to make into an e-book. The 1st draft of the PDF version is nearly complete. The EPUB and MOBI versions will follow. Hopefully, in a couple of months it will be available in e-book form for a very minimal amount - after all the same content will be free on the website.

The e-book format is free flowing. With all text content books, there's nothing to it. With pictures, they must look right in relation to the text. PDF books are WYSIWYG. EPUB and MOBI are more like free flowing HTML but on a really small screen that pages as it wants.

Honestly? Books will get outdated VERY quickly..those who mention this site are right.