What's new

Bricked RT-ACRH17

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JasonMaggini

New Around Here
I seem to have really done a number on my old RT-ACRH17. I was playing around with OpenWRT, and I decided to flash back to stock, but I did something stupid, and I'm not entirely sure what.

Anyway, when you power on the router, you get a solid blue power LED. Nothing else. You can get it into recovery mode where the light is slowly blinking and you can ping it at 192.168.1.1, but nothing else works. I've tried a few different firmwares with the recovery utility, and they all say they've restored successfully, but then it's back to solid LED (and no ping). I can't ssh/telnet in, there's no recovery website at 192.168.1.1, and neither resetting via the reset or the WPS button help.
I think I messed it up big time.

Any hope for this, or should I just upgrade and move on?

I seem to have really done a number on my old RT-ACRH17. I was playing around with OpenWRT, and I decided to flash back to stock, but I did something stupid, and I'm not entirely sure what.

Anyway, when you power on the router, you get a solid blue power LED. Nothing else. You can get it into recovery mode where the light is slowly blinking and you can ping it at 192.168.1.1, but nothing else works. I've tried a few different firmwares with the recovery utility, and they all say they've restored successfully, but then it's back to solid LED (and no ping). I can't ssh/telnet in, there's no recovery website at 192.168.1.1, and neither resetting via the reset or the WPS button help.
I think I messed it up big time.

Any hope for this, or should I just upgrade and move on?

Try going back to a really old firmware, smaller size the better, see if it takes that then upgrade.

Try a hard reset first just in case that clears anything out.

You can try to TFTP the firmware file too (that's all the recovery tool does really)

I tried the oldest one available, no luck. I have a TFTP program, and it just errors out ("Unable to get responses from the server").

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!