What's new

brief question from rookie about transmit power level

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vikingsam

Occasional Visitor
First, I am very grateful to Merlin for the amazing work on this firmware. I am not much of a network or IT guy, just concerned about network security and learning as I go. I have an AC56U with Merlin's latest version and I cannot find the slider bar to adjust the transmit power level. This was one of my favorite features of the stock firmare...is it completely gone? Is there another way to decrease the power level on my router? I like to have my signal exist just within the walls of my home if possible. Grateful for all responses....I did try to search the topic for a while but couldn't really find the answer.

The slider is gone for US models.

If you are using tx power as a security measure perhaps you are barking up the wrong tree. Whilst it is admirable to reduce your tx power footprint to avoid interference it isn't really a security function. There are far better ways to secure your WiFi network. Good, strong passwords changed regularly. MAC address filtering and hide your network SSID are the main ones at a home user level and will give you the security you need. You can then use your tx power to improve/maximise network performance (within local legal requirements).
Regards
Clive

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk