What's new

Broadcast across subnets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Markbiphone

New Around Here
Hello

I have two different subnets (192.168.1.0 & 192.168.2.0) and am having an issue. I have a plex server on one and a client on the other, however they cannot see each other. I have been told it’s because they cannot broadcast across subnets.
The routers are both running asuswrt merlin firmware.

Is there a way to sort this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

you will have more luck posting in the asus firmware forum for specific use questions. You need to set up static routes between the two. If you are trying to isolate the two subdomains, you may want to go back and rethink what you have done.

Thanks for the reply.

I have set up static routs and that works fine for most things, except for plex server discovery.

I have set up static routs and that works fine for most things, except for plex server discovery.
Broadcast traffic doesn't travel outside of the local subnet. So you'll have to enter the Plex server addresses manually.

Broadcast traffic doesn't travel outside of the local subnet. So you'll have to enter the Plex server addresses manually.

This is the problem I’m having. I used to have a Roku device that I used as a client and you were able to manually enter the IP. However since it packed up I got an Amazon firetv stick to replace it, but this doesn’t allow manually entering the IP address.

Is there not a way to get the broadcast across the different subnets?

Is there not a way to get the broadcast across the different subnets?
No. (Well actually it is possible to a certain extent with intelligent switches and "helpers", but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.)

However since it packed up I got an Amazon firetv stick to replace it, but this doesn’t allow manually entering the IP address.
Strange. I haven't used my FireTV Stick for a couple of years but I don't remember me having any problem manually inputting an IP address. I guess they "improved" it.:rolleyes:

Why do you need them on separate subnets ?
If you can support vlans, just group them into the same vlan (subnet).

You need to put your networks in separate VLANs. If you have 2 networks on 1 dumb switch DHCP will not work.

This has been talked about quite a few times on the forum here. Most routers will not forward broadcast traffic across subnets. You can use a helper device (like a raspberry-pi) with the appropriate program loaded on it. But then a larger question comes into play..... why do you need separate subnets then? You usually break things up into subnets for either security or to break up your broadcast domain.