What's new

Buy Vs. Build Cost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thusband

New Around Here
I've been reading the forum and am thinking of building my own NAS. I've built a couple of PCs and an HTPC so that shouldn't be a problem. However I could buy a Synology DS211J with two 2TB drives for around $350. It doesn't seem like I could build one for that. Is that a correct assumption?

Would there be advantages for the DIY that might make it worth a few bucks more?

Thanks

IMO the main reason you DIY is for flexibility and performance. Most consumer-level NASs are very limited in their scope, they have a web front-end that protects the user from the complicated stuff, but that also means that they are very specific in what they can do.

I used to have a DLink DNS-323, I eventually decided to DIY because I was tired of the limitations and did not trust the firmware to reliably protect my data. In my case, I only wanted a modest system, but I wanted control over everything and an extremely reliable file system. You can read my build here:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=3963

The total cost was cheaper than what the DLink DNS-323 cost me three years prior, and I ended up with a far superior system.

A couple of others with the same dilemma as you:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=4329
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=3144

Wow, thanks Hydaral! Lots of good information. I'm not sure I want get in to all the modifications you did but the hardware suggestions are great.

Hadn't even heard of NexentaStor and was prepared to buy Windows.

The DLink DNS-323 has some pretty good reviews at both Amazon and Newegg. It's cheaper than Synology too. Was it giving you problems?

Thanks again.

The DLink DNS-323 has some pretty good reviews at both Amazon and Newegg. It's cheaper than Synology too. Was it giving you problems?
It was generally good for the price at the time, but the firmware had a few problems and it only ran BusyBox so even though you could get shell access there was only so much it could do, other than serving files.

The biggest problem a lot of users had was its annoying tendency to wipe the existing data-filled disk when you inserted a replacement disk for one that had just failed. This happened to me. Luckily I knew about this issue and had backed up my data in anticipation. That was the trigger that started me on my DIY build.

Last edited:
I think the Buy vs. Build question comes down to sweat equity.

Do you have the time to, or even better, enjoy doing a build. Selecting the parts, checking the compatibility, dealing with small problems and frustrations? Can you be your own customer support?

If you do you can, a build can be a quicker and more cost effective solution than that of an off-the-shelf solution.

But if you are just looking for a place to store your stuff, without having to worry or think about it, then a Buy proposition can be much more attractive.

You have four software choices really, for a DIY build:

1. FreeNAS, FreeBSD based turn key build solution - this can run ZFS, or Linux Filesystems (EXT3,EXT4)

2. NexentaStor/OpenIndiana - OpenSolaris Kernel, where ZFS came from, requires a bit more technical oomph.

3. OpenFiler - Redhat Branch turnkey, not as polished as FreeNAS but is has a Linux base.

4. Other Linux General Distro - Ubuntu, CentOS, etc

Within each of those choices you need to decide if you want RAID, and what favor and color RAID. Software vs Hardware, Raid-Z/Z2(sw) vs Raid-5,6(hw/sw) or lesser. If you go Hardware raid you'll need a Raid controller, if software you'll need a motherboard with enough Sata ports or a Sata Controller.

That leads to platform questions, how many potential drives? Intel or AMD? Low power or high performance? How many NIC ports?

I'd also make the decision as to Used vs. New, do you want to base your build around some eBayed components? Save Bucks with more risk?

Folks here ( as you can see from Hydaral ) tend to be very helpful to the DIYers, so you've got that covered.

Last edited:
Yes, the folks here have been very helpful. I'm now armed with the information and have some decisions to make.

Many thanks to all.

Tom