What's new

Buying new HDD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rahat

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am thinking of buying 2 4tb external hdds for my asus ac3200 to use with AI Cloud. Will the router handle two hdds of this size and will this affect router performance?

I want one as a normal hdd and the other as backup.

Thanks

Consider a NAS instead. Qnap or Synology.

The TS-131 would be 2 or 3 times or more faster than anything connected via USB.

And you will still need a USB drive to backup the NAS to.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Tbh I dont need the speed of a nas. The asus router is writing at 20 to 30mbps on usb 2 on my 1tb ext hdd.

Also, that nas costs £240 with two 1tb hdds, i can get 2 x 8tb on my router for less.

So was just wondering whether such a set up would slow the router down?

Hi, thanks for your response.

Tbh I dont need the speed of a nas. The asus router is writing at 20 to 30mbps on usb 2 on my 1tb ext hdd.

Also, that nas costs £240 with two 1tb hdds, i can get 2 x 8tb on my router for less.

So was just wondering whether such a set up would slow the router down?

I don't see 2x 8TB drives being less than £240, but if you have access to them. Buy the whole lot. ;)

The router will not only slow down, it will become unstable too as you use more of the features it offers at the same time. Also depending on your ISP up / down speeds too.

Sorry I meant 2 x 4tb.

My speeds are 200mbps down and 20mbps up.

Will the cpu not be able to handle the load? Atm it is fine, i hae 1tb and 0.5tb drives connected to it.

It is not the size of the drives connected. It is what you're doing with them in conjunction with anything else the router is doing simultaneously too.

Do note that some USB drives and / or enclosures do not work as expected with all routers equally. There may be issues with spin down, dropping to USB2.0 speeds or worse. There is no list of what drives work with which firmware and router model.

Ok thanks. So if what I am doing atm is working perfectly, will a bigger hdd size have no impact and continue to work the same, assuming it is fully compatible with the router?

Ok thanks. So if what I am doing atm is working perfectly, will a bigger hdd size have no impact and continue to work the same, assuming it is fully compatible with the router?

Yes, that is the assumption. :)