What's new

can configuration information of the same firmware version be exported/imported to each other?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fffddd

New Around Here
For example, I exported the 3004.388.7 configuration information in RT-AX58U and imported it directly into GT-AX6000 (of course the firmware of GT-AX6000 is also 3004.388.7).
Is it possible to import the configuration directly like this? On the contrary, can I export the configuration of GT-AX6000 and import it into RT-AX58U? Is there any harm?
Of course, the prerequisite for this operation is that the firmware version numbers of the two machines are the same.

It is NOT possible! You can import only configs from one modell to the same modell (with the same firmware version).

of course the firmware of GT-AX6000 is also 3004.388.7

RT-AX58U and GT-AX6000 don't run the same firmware. Asuswrt-Merlin 388.7 was compiled separately for each one.

Is it possible to import the configuration directly like this?

It is possible, nothing will stop you doing it, but not recommended. You may end up with hard to troubleshoot issues.

The only valid use of a backup config file is to ONLY use it on the same router (and, not ONLY just the same model) for the same firmware it was created with.

Anything else leaves your router/network in a questionable state, regardless of what the apparent/observable condition of the router/network may seem to be.

and, not ONLY just the same model)
I have worked with 3 RT-AC68Us for years, swapping main routers and nodes and also swapping configurations with each other. I did the same thing for 2 years with two RT-AX88Us: there was never a problem...

Consider yourself lucky then that the configuration you run/use doesn't show any downsides to doing so.

Saved config files should only be used on the model/unit they were created on. As RMerlin has also stated.

It's not luck, it's logical thinking. The only thing left to consider is the hardware version to be even safer.

And you're not thinking logically. You've just experienced the exception, not the rule.

If I have two identical router models with the same hardware version, they will process the same configuration in the same way, regardless of whether the file was created by themselves or from the other router. That IS logic. Experience does not demand this, but has proven it.

It makes me wonder. nvram includes the mac addresses. How would writing a foreign mac affect wifi?

@Ripshod
MAC addresses are not changed when restoring a configuration that was not created on this device.

RT-AX58U and GT-AX6000 don't run the same firmware. Asuswrt-Merlin 388.7 was compiled separately for each one.
What is compiled separately is only the firmware running on the hardware, and should have nothing to do with the configuration file read when the firmware is running.

and should have nothing to do with the configuration file read when the firmware is running.
There are actually differences there in the nvram values based on the hardware platform. Radio intertaces for instance will be different between some models. Restauring configurations from a different model means you will have the wrong network interfaces configured for these wifi radios. The WAN interface is also different, there's one model that uses eth5 instead of eth0.

Do not copy configs between different models, it will cause all sort of issues depending on which model is being copied to which.

The firmware also has different default configuration values defined at compile time based on the model being compiled.

Is it possible to import the configuration directly like this?
What don't you just go ahead and try it and report back! You might have to reset after but at least you tried it once. :)

What don't you just go ahead and try it and report back!

The one who tries things is me. :cool:

Done already and with positive results:

I've tried after AX88U to AX86U, AX58U to AX86U, even AC68U straight to AX86U... I can do it with some preparation even between stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin and on different model and firmware. Not all settings are transferable, but most common are. Can't recommend it because the results are not guaranteed and I don't know how familiar with Asuswrt is the user asking the question. Even encountered issues after are fixable and faster than manual configuration. I've also done partial specific cfg file and the rest in ssh with positive results, faster than manual configuration and including time consuming VPN configurations. I've done other undocumented things as well.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder. nvram includes the mac addresses.

The configuration file is not just NVRAM dump blindly written to the target. If you know well enough the source and the target and prepare the source configuration file - it works with high success rate. @Dedel66 is correct - if one knows what they are doing it is possible. The ones who don't know - type by hand from screenshots.

@Ripshod
MAC addresses are not changed when restoring a configuration that was not created on this device.
Personally I've always thought that mac addresses are hard coded to the network hardware. I'm still of the opinion that you should be able to restore a config from the same model/HW version router to another. Though it has been recommended not to do this... why?

Last edited:
Personally I've always thought that mac addresses are hard coded to the network hardware.

Correct and in few places on newer models. Not very hard coded because the encrypted part was cracked already.

Though it has been recommended not to so this... why?

Because it's easier to tell someone to reset the whole thing and start over, sometimes including connected devices. I understand most average users have no clue what's going on and reset is a potential quick fix, but sometimes it sound like secret SNB Forums "part of the furniture" enjoyment in wasting someone else's time even for things fixable in 10 seconds. The less the advisor himself knows what's going on the more likely to recommend reset. I can make quickly a list of users who rarely recommend reset and try to understand the problem first. I can make even quicker a list of users who recommend reset for completely no reason even though it won't fix anything.

I have seen people waste not just hours, but days, weeks, and months on a 'potential quick fix'. That seems like a waste of time to me more than a 15-minute reset would take to perform properly.

Getting your network to a good/known state where it is stable and reliable isn't wasting anyone's time, and can be done my almost any user.

Use of the equipment in a real-world setting is a prerequisite to giving any advice that means anything except stroking your own ego at the expense of others. And sadly, you're part of the furniture too.

Correct and in few places on newer models. Not very hard coded because the encrypted part was cracked already.
On a factory default reset, the MACs are copied from the bootloader to a number of nvrams, and a few other nvram are filled with calculated MACs (i.e. base-MAC + 2). If you overwrite these nvrams with the MAC of a different device's config file, they won't be replaced by the correct one unless you did another factory default reset. You will end up with a mixture of correct and incorrect MACs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!