Can't connect to CherryPy services

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Marrus, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Marrus

Marrus New Around Here

SOLVED - Can't connect to CherryPy services

I run several applications which I use port forwarding to expose so I can access them from outside of my home network.

I run Air Video and Calibre, and a couple of python applications that use CherryPy as their embedded web server.

After setting up a new RT-AC66U as my router, I found that port forwarding did not work for the CherryPy-based applications. Air Video and Calibre worked without any problems.

After some more testing, I found that I can access the CherryPy apps from the PC they run on, by connecting to localhost or explicitly using the IP address.

However, I was not able to connect using the (internal) IP address from a machine (inside my home network) other than the PC running the services.

What's going on and how can I fix it?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Marrus

Marrus New Around Here

The following minimal cherrypy service exhibits the problem that I described.

import cherrypy
    class HelloWorld(object):
    def index(self):
    return "Hello World!"
    index.exposed = True

cherrypy.config.update({'server.socket_port': 30596})
    cherrypy.quickstart(HelloWorld())

3. Marrus

Marrus New Around Here

I figured out what was causing the problem.

When I was setting up the router, I apparently accidentally configured the network in Windows 7 to Public rather than Home.

I had previously configured the CherryPy services to not be accessible in a Public network.

The solution was to change the network location to Home.