What's new

Can't connect to plex securely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jammie

New Around Here
When I try to use my Plex server outside of my network I get this message:

We're sorry, but we can't reach this server securely.Click here to reload the app using insecure connections.More Info

The link to more info leads to this page, which suggests that dnsmasq can cause issues with DNS rebinding. I've added their suggested fix to the dnsmasq.conf.add, but the issue still remains.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I try to use my Plex server outside of my network I get this message:

The link to more info leads to this page, which suggests that dnsmasq can cause issues with DNS rebinding. I've added their suggested fix to the dnsmasq.conf.add, but the issue still remains.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The only action that I've had to do related to the router is forward port 32400 to the IP of the Plex server. I have UPnP turned off on my router. If you have UPnP turned on, then you may want to check under Log -> Port Forwarding to make sure 32400 is forwarded properly.

If you can connect in an unsecured way, then you can disregard what I said above. You should check that the Plex Server version is 0.9.12.3 or later. In the Plex/Web settings for the server, make sure that the "secure connections" setting is not disabled. "Secure connections" should either be set to preferred or required. That setting is under the "network" tab of the "server" settings.

Finally, you should make sure that whatever client you are using is up to date. On the client web side, I connect remotely to https://app.plex.tv/web/app using my Plex user credentials. This connects securely to my home Plex server. For a client like Plex Media Player, I don't believe I even set a server and it just connects remotely to my home server after I enter my Plex user credentials.

I have uPnP enabled, and I can see in Log -> Port Forwarding that the ports are opened correctly. I tried with manual port mapping, but I got the same result.

Plex Server is 0.9.14.4, and all the secure settings are set correctly.

I use the web client too, so it is up to date.

It's still not working, but thank you for the help.

EDIT: Disabling jumbo frames solved the problem for me.

Last edited:
Jammie, did you disable jumbo frames on your Router and now you're able to connect to your Plex library via the web client?

I get the same error message that you were getting...
We're sorry, but we can't reach this server securely. Click here to reload the app using insecure connections. More Info

But if i did click on the link to reload using insecure connections, I was able to see my library but when i would try to play a movie, i get this error... There was a problem playing this item.

Yes, exactly. I'm assuming that you're running Asuswrt-Merlin, so the setting is under LAN > Switch Control > Enable Jumbo Frame. Setting that to disabled solved my problem.

I administrate several Plex servers and have seen this problem before myself.
My setup:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS
Asus RT-N66, RT-AC66, RT-AC68 routers
Level 2 & 3 switches
Firewalls enabled on the router, server, and all clients for both IPv4 & IPv6.

I have found no effect when enabling jumbo frames, or not.
Similarly, I found no difference with NAT acceleration enabled, or not.
I do have Port Forwarding enabled on the routers to forward port 32400 to a different port on the PMS (for security reasons).
I found no effect to having UPnP enabled or disabled IF you have your port forwarding configured properly. Having UPnP disabled is better for security purposes.

If you are running a Firewall, please make sure that the firewall(s) are properly configured to allow the Plex to communicate both out of, and into your network. This is the most common problem with Windows OS since the OS updates which require rebooting of the server, or PC, will reset the firewall and often prevent access from outside the network. After you reboot your actual hardware from an update, you need to go into the Firewall settings and refresh the configuration. (This was a hard earned lesson that took me more than a month to figure out.)

You also need to try logging off and logging back on your PMS completely. Best to close the window and restart your PMS from scratch. This is especially important after a PMS update. There are also two sets of updates that happen with PMS. One is the "Web" which should be at ver. 2.4.23 as of Dec 08, 2015 and the other is the "Server" which should be at ver. 0.9.12.19. if either of these is "out of date" you will have problems with logging on to your PMS from outside your network.

In case you did not know this, you need to keep a browser window open on the actual server hardware with PMS running and logged in. If you close out the window, you will log off your secure connection to the Plex.tv servers and you will loose all your settings.

If everything is operating correctly, you should see a small green "lock" by each of your PMS servers and client devices indicating that you are connected securely.

Hope this helps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!