What's new

Can't connect to usb-drive with my WD TV HD Live

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lixenstrand

Occasional Visitor
So, i just bought an rt-n66u so i could download torrent directly to an hdd on the router, it works fine.
But my problem becomes clear when i when i try to access the usb-drive from my "WD TV HD Live Media Player Gen 3", even though I'm sharing without an account it still says -Invalid username or password, please try again. I have tried every standard name and password there is. there is no problem at all connecting via pc or smartphone.

This is how it looks:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=86
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=87
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=88

I've been searching last three days for the solution without any luck.

I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.25

Please help me I'm becoming more desperate for every minute.

So, i just bought an rt-n66u so i could download torrent directly to an hdd on the router, it works fine.
But my problem becomes clear when i when i try to access the usb-drive from my "WD TV HD Live Media Player Gen 3", even though I'm sharing without an account it still says -Invalid username or password, please try again. I have tried every standard name and password there is. there is no problem at all connecting via pc or smartphone.

This is how it looks:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=86
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=87
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=88

I've been searching last three days for the solution without any luck.

I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.25

Please help me I'm becoming more desperate for every minute.

I thought the login used was your main router login (assuming you only have the one login) , I sort of remember logging in here using that myself.

Your WD TV HD Live Media Player Gen3 isn't dlna capable? you should point media server path to torrent directory and play directly.

155o0gz.png

I have it working in my home. Try clearing the network share login info on the wdtv, and make sure your workgroup is the same. You may have share by account turned on in the router - instead of just shared. In that case you need to use the account login info.

the thing is that i don't want to use the dlna cause then i can't use neither internal subs or external subs, and some files were not shared.
i share without an account.
I'm at work right now so i have to wait to try out some more, could it be that I'm logged in to the router with my laptop at the same time as i try to log in with the media player?
Thank you for your participation!

the thing is that i don't want to use the dlna cause then i can't use neither internal subs or external subs, and some files were not shared.
i share without an account.
I'm at work right now so i have to wait to try out some more, could it be that I'm logged in to the router with my laptop at the same time as i try to log in with the media player?
Thank you for your participation!

Possibly , as the router only allows 1 login.

I have it working in my home. Try clearing the network share login info on the wdtv, and make sure your workgroup is the same. You may have share by account turned on in the router - instead of just shared. In that case you need to use the account login info.

ok now i tried clearing login info and double checked the WORKGROUP.
when i turn on account share its the same story, but wait, then i can't connect using my laptop even tough i trippel check user and password

do you have your wd hd tv by wire or wireless?

Possibly , as the router only allows 1 login.

You can have up to 5 concurrent SMB sessions. The single login limitation is only for the webui.

I have 3 wdtv boxes, one wired(WD streaming), two with wusb600 wireless adapters (300Mbit). You may want to do a factory reset if you are having probs with your laptop now. I don't have problems with subs dnla or network share. Only advantage of network share is the refresh of the folders - I find dnla to be way faster over wireless (IMO). Then ftp streaming trumps dnla. Wish I knew how to setup NFS on my nexus 10...

Clear the network share login info on your WD and try again.

You may wish to visit the WDTV forums. I have seen this question many times over there which would lead me to believe it's an issue with the WDTV box more so than your actual router. I can't be certain, but it's worth a shot.

I have 3 wdtv boxes, one wired(WD streaming), two with wusb600 wireless adapters (300Mbit). You may want to do a factory reset if you are having probs with your laptop now. I don't have problems with subs dnla or network share. Only advantage of network share is the refresh of the folders - I find dnla to be way faster over wireless (IMO). Then ftp streaming trumps dnla. Wish I knew how to setup NFS on my nexus 10...

Clear the network share login info on your WD and try again.

i made a reset on my WD but no luck, i have the latest firmware, i shouldn't use on old? i envy you... but nothing happens when i hit the subtitle button on dlna streaming, and som files in dlna won't play as WD says "doesn't support filetype, blablabla" but on smb sharing they work fine with subs and all...

You may wish to visit the WDTV forums. I have seen this question many times over there which would lead me to believe it's an issue with the WDTV box more so than your actual router. I can't be certain, but it's worth a shot.

thanks for the tips, I've checked wdtvhd.com and community.wdc.com but can't find any threads.
i agree with you, i start to think that the Dark knight isn't to blame.

I just ordered a Raspberry Pi so I'll play some with that, because without serenity and movie watching i'm going crazy...

I have a WDTV live HD Streaming Media Player too.

No problems with the samba shares on my N66U.

I just select the Windows share and then leave the User/Password as is (Anonymous) and that's it.

I have a WDTV live HD Streaming Media Player too.

No problems with the samba shares on my N66U.

I just select the Windows share and then leave the User/Password as is (Anonymous) and that's it.

ok, what firmware do u use on your WD? i have the latest.
the wd is the problem for sure. any ideas what to do? i have made factory reset and forget share passwords, should i try with a old firmware???

Google " How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live Hub Media Center or WD TV Live Streaming ". I think its the second one down. Are you sure you have ftp or samba enabled on the router? Never had a problem like you describe. You mention your laptop will not connect now, and the info about subtitles - so you had it working before I'm assuming. Sounds like the WD fw perhaps. (I haven't upgraded the latest WD)

Google " How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live Hub Media Center or WD TV Live Streaming ". I think its the second one down. Are you sure you have ftp or samba enabled on the router? Never had a problem like you describe. You mention your laptop will not connect now, and the info about subtitles - so you had it working before I'm assuming. Sounds like the WD fw perhaps. (I haven't upgraded the latest WD)

Usually to rollback you just need to edit the .ver file. Change the version to a higher number (for example, 1.99.xx).

I've lost my patience with the wd, so i bought me a second raspberry pi which works like a charm.
thank you all for your help...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!