What's new

Can't disable Daylight savings time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fbreve

Regular Contributor
I noticed that Daylight savings time (DST) is enabled or disabled accordingly to the selected time zone.

However, this year we don't have DST in Brazil. But the Brasilia time zone still enables DST and it is impossible to disable.

I believe there should be an option to enable/disable DST in spite of the selected time zone.

Just set the start/stop dates/times as the same and it will never enable DST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set it 1 hour apart so it’s only wrong for one hour of the year?

Set it 1 hour apart so it’s only wrong for one hour of the year?

That's what I did. But this is a workaround. Not a proper solution. I'm suggesting that the correct way to deal with this thing is implemented.

And actually, it has to be wrong for a whole day. It still complains about overlap if the difference is only one hour.

Set it for the first time at 23:59, second at 00:01.
you cant set minutes or seconds, only hours.

So set begin any day at 23 o'clock hour and end to next day 1 o'clock (hour).

Or use a different timezone with no DST.

you cant set minutes or seconds, only hours.

So set begin any day at 23 o'clock hour and end to next day 1 o'clock (hour).

Or use a different timezone with no DST.
Actually you can get Epoch to work with setting it that way. The OP is going to have to write a script. https://www.thegeekdiary.com/how-to...gs-time-dst-and-modify-the-timezone-on-linux/. The other method would be to setup a NTP server on their network with something like a Raspbeery Pi or Arduino with a RTC hat.

Amazon has a NTP service on their AWS. https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/keeping-time-with-amazon-time-sync-service/. There is also Chrony. https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/faq.html

Last edited:
That's what I did. But this is a workaround. Not a proper solution. I'm suggesting that the correct way to deal with this thing is implemented.

It relies on an archaic time zone implementation deep in the firmware which Merlin won’t want to fix. Asus could but again it’s not as simple as you’d hope is my understanding.

Hi Greg!

Cannot find the option to set time to start and finish DST .... I can only set the date. Do you know where I can find it? Running Merlin 384.5 RT-AC86U as main router and 380.67 RT-AC68U as access point.

Thanks!

I was wondering if it’s as “simple” as removing the DST characters from this line in the code:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...c/router/www/Advanced_System_Content.asp#L820

If it contains DST, it populates the DST start/end dates.

Yes but you need a recent source for which time zones do/don’t observe DST which changes more often than you think! So hardcoding it there would be a forever maintenance job for all the fringe cases such as the OP

Yes but you need a recent source for which time zones do/don’t observe DST which changes more often than you think! So hardcoding it there would be a forever maintenance job for all the fringe cases such as the OP

A good job for an open source project contributor! :)

Given the source code you linked to it would appear that a workaround for the OP would be to select "Buenos Aires, Georgetown". That appears to be GMT-03:00 (UTC3) with no DST.

This is definitely the best solution until such time that Brazil can make their damn minds up about if they are doing DST or not and the code can be left as is or changed to remove it!

To be blunt, the correct way for this to be done is for countries not to change the rules whenever they feel like it. As you can imagine, every single device in the world that has the established rules will suffer from the same problem. There is no way for device manufacturers to deal with such random exceptions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!