What's new

Captive portal for guest network on RT-AC66U B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sirmclouis

Regular Contributor
Hey!

I'm running Asuswrt Merlin on my new RT-AC66U B1 and really happy with it. I'm amazed of all the things I can do with it.

I'm a little noob in the field of building small networks and specially with this router and Merlin.

I have a guess network at home and I would like to know if I can create a captive portal for it in some way or another. On the interface I can't find anything and either I can on the internet. Perhaps are there some script that create this?

Thanks a lot

I have a guess network at home and I would like to know if I can create a captive portal for it in some way or another.
On the interface I can't find anything and either I can on the internet.
Captive Portal isn't available in the firmware/GUI, but not sure if this thread is (still) relevant Wi-Fi Client Directing to URL

Hey!

Sadly the link seems not to be really relevant, or at least not as relevant as before. The NoDogSplash package it's no longer available on entware.

Do you know if it's possible to install it not using entware?

The captive portal requires specific settings for the firmware even after installation.
Personally, I recommend buying a used controllerless enterprise-class ap.
For example ruckus unleashed or aruba instant.

The captive portal requires specific settings for the firmware even after installation.
Personally, I recommend buying a used controllerless enterprise-class ap.
For example ruckus unleashed or aruba instant.

I don't need anything really complicated. It's for home use. I just want to put a small web with a message and a button of accept when people connect to my guess network. It's just for fun.

nodogsplash is still actively maintained. It's not bad to try cross-compile using the entware buildroot.

https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki/Compile-packages-from-sources

I can check and try to compile.

I don't need anything really complicated. It's for home use. I just want to put a small web with a message and a button of accept when people connect to my guess network. It's just for fun.

I can check and try to compile.

Did you have any luck doing this? I tried doing this for an Asus-5300 and so far I haven't had any success in getting anything to compile correctly. I can for openwrt, but then it won't run on the 5300 since it is not an architecture option there.

You got me thinking when you mentioned just for fun. My idea would be to setup the portal to display a message saying something along these lines. "By accepting and joining this network you are agreeing that Bob (would be my actual name) is the coolest person that you know."

Hey!

I'm running Asuswrt Merlin on my new RT-AC66U B1 and really happy with it. I'm amazed of all the things I can do with it.

I'm a little noob in the field of building small networks and specially with this router and Merlin.

I have a guess network at home and I would like to know if I can create a captive portal for it in some way or another. On the interface I can't find anything and either I can on the internet. Perhaps are there some script that create this?

Thanks a lot
I have kind of been in the same boat off-n-on for a couple of years. What pushed me over the edge was,
My son has a car detailing business and asked recently about offering wifi for his patrons, at a low initial cost and without recurring costs.
His next prerequisite (sp?) was a splash page with the business image in the background a "Terms of Service" and a button to push, for "I Agree". After that it was quit offering wifi one hour after the business closes and restart in the morning before he opens.
Then he added that he wanted to throttle the users back so they weren't using up his available bandwidth or running him out of data before the month was over. It's linux , this should be easily doable. "But, NO command line configuration for 'him'." OK , an ssh server with WinSCP to drag and drop files.

I have probably tried out 20-30 different firmwares for various routers. Some were horrible others barely usable for what I/we needed.
I finally settled on AdvancedTomato using an RT-N12_D1. I didn't want to donate to much this, at first.
My prerequisite was for it to be self contained, handling all authentications plus storing all files and .jpegs on board.
To me, this meant having a usable jffs partition or a non removable usb stick or sd card. Those things are prone to getting "lost". So, less is better here.

I have found a few glitches in NoCatSplash/Auth with is version.
It seems to take a while to start up and if they visit the login page and renew their lease before it has ran out splashd with take a dump and fall back in it just after flushing the iptables rules.
It doesn't die. It just fails to rewrite the redirects to the login server.
The logins stop but its still offering services without requiring a login.

BUT it has 700KB of onboard jffs storage so there is room for a 3 line script to check the output of iptables -L regularly to confirm its still doing it's thing. Shibby Tomato was next on my list to try. This is a fork based on Shibby's with a more intuitive interface.

BTW BW throttling was a breeze to keep them all under 1Mb DL and 128Kb's UL . The inclusion of an adblocker at DNS level helps tremedously with how fast that slow connection will "feel".