What's new

Car internet network similar to a home's network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Davidlevy129

New Around Here
I want to have a mobile hotspot in my car and be able to network all the devices connected it. As well as be able to transfer files between devices, connect IOT devies to communicate with each other and hub wifi led controllers to work from the app on my phone when connected to my cars wifi network. Sooooo... is this possible? i know i can get a mobile hotspot with a ethernet out and connect it to a wifi router but I would like to get a all in one solution. will wds be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

assuming you are connecting to a cellular network, all you need is the cell receiver and a wireless router. Some manufacturers of Dual WAN wireless routers can do that. Google it.

If you are talking about getting into the car's CAN systems, that is a whole different issue.

If you are looking for and all in one solution shop for a WiFi Hotspot that will work with your cellular plan. They are battery powered and can be charged using a USB cable and they will allow 8 -20 devices to connect depending on the manufacturer. I have a Samsung and it has the ability to store some music on it.

assuming you are connecting to a cellular network, all you need is the cell receiver and a wireless router. Some manufacturers of Dual WAN wireless routers can do that. Google it.

If you are talking about getting into the car's CAN systems, that is a whole different issue.

No sir no canbus integration at least not before the iot devices if I even do it

If you are looking for and all in one solution shop for a WiFi Hotspot that will work with your cellular plan. They are battery powered and can be charged using a USB cable and they will allow 8 -20 devices to connect depending on the manufacturer. I have a Samsung and it has the ability to store some music on it.

But are you able to network two devices and transfer information between the devices alone under the wireless area network in other words does it work like a home network

My other concern is heat. Will a router be able to withstand the heat inside a closed car preferably and the lowest part of the car maybe under a seat or and the passenger footwell

not without A/C in Texas unless designed for it. 110-130 F 45-55 C internal pretty quick in the summer. Unpowered likely not an issue.
Don't forget all the metal under and in the seat will mess with the wifi. Antenna in free space off the roof would be better. Or at least sitting on top of the dash.

If the device has an IP address, it is up to the device applications to do the communication with other devices. The router/wifi doesn't care. It just moves packets.

Internal Network Communication - You would need to confirm with the portable hotspot feature sets to confirm it doesn't do any client isolation. Also note, that many of those devices generally tend to limit the number of devices it will support on the WiFi at one time. You could build a custom little box to handle most of this as well.

Heat - Without a doubt a concern to worry about....as well as cold. Majority of consumer devices are not designed or spec'd for the kind of temperature ranges seen within an automobile. In the continental US you would be looking at -20F to about 150F is my guess depending on where you live. Not sure how hot the interior really gets in the true hot sun...so 150F was my guess. I live in the central US, so we I know for sure my car goes from about -10F to 110F without taking into account the sun on an enclosed car interior.

Internal Network Communication - You would need to confirm with the portable hotspot feature sets to confirm it doesn't do any client isolation. Also note, that many of those devices generally tend to limit the number of devices it will support on the WiFi at one time. You could build a custom little box to handle most of this as well.

Heat - Without a doubt a concern to worry about....as well as cold. Majority of consumer devices are not designed or spec'd for the kind of temperature ranges seen within an automobile. In the continental US you would be looking at -20F to about 150F is my guess depending on where you live. Not sure how hot the interior really gets in the true hot sun...so 150F was my guess. I live in the central US, so we I know for sure my car goes from about -10F to 110F without taking into account the sun on an enclosed car interior.

So is there no metal enclosure type heatsink routers that would be able to withstand this? I live in Houston Texas

So is there no metal enclosure type heatsink routers that would be able to withstand this? I live in Houston Texas

I'm sure they exist....just not in the standard consumer stores. Have three options:
1.) Build it yourself
2.) Look into industrial/commercial devices
3.) Just use a normal device and live with the risks and shorter lifespan

Sent from some device using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!