What's new

Certificate Verification issue with RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

programatix

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm new with AsusWRT-Merlin and I'm encountering problem accessing HTTPS site from SSH.

When I tried executing WGET with HTTPS, I get, "ERROR: cannot verify ... certificate".

The same thing happen when I tried to use EASY_INSTALL. It would complain SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED.

Apparently from the search in the internet, I came to understand that I'm missing the CA certs in the router. However, I couldn't find the way to install or update them.

Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I also await with interest an authoritative answer to your question.

In the meantime, did you see what you get if you try the same thing from Putty or from a Linux terminal?

Reading around it seems server authentication using certificates in ssh, rather than (or as well as?) the standard hashed fingerprint, is a relatively recent introduction and not all that common.

Last edited:
Use Curl instead. I configured it to use a CA bundle that I added to the firmware, but the wget build Asus added a few months ago does not point to the same CA list.

You can also manually point wget to the CA bundle:

Code:
wget https://www.google.com --ca-certificate=/rom/ca-bundle.crt

Hi,

I now encountering more problem related to root certificate. Python scripts that accessed HTTPS site also have this very same issue. Is there a way to make Python to point to the CA bundle?

Hi,

I now encountering more problem related to root certificate. Python scripts that accessed HTTPS site also have this very same issue. Is there a way to make Python to point to the CA bundle?

Since Python is not part of the firmware, that will be up to whoever packaged your Python build.

Hi,

Ok. I think I resolved the problem. It turns out that I just need to install the ca-certificates package. A simple,
Code:
opkg install ca-certificates
resolves the issue.

Thanks for all the help.