What's new

Change Wireless 2.4GHz & 5GHz MAC address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can I ask what the objective is that you're trying to achieve is? Do you want to change just the primary wireless interfaces or include the guest SSID's as well?

Well using the information I posted in the thread that you linked to, try this.

nvram set wl0_hwaddr="BC:EE:7B:C3:78:A8"
nvram set wl1_hwaddr="BC:EE:7B:C3:78:AC"
nvram commit
reboot

I don't know whether it will work and you haven't specified what router you have or which firmware version you are running.

Can I ask why?

I was thinking the same thing...

Unless there is a very specific reason why, it really doesn't matter what the AP's WiFi MAC addresses are.

FWIW - there are ways to do this, but none of them are valid for normal use - for experimentation and insight into security issues perhaps there is utility...

Able to change but on reboot (wl0 & wl1) it reverts back to original MAC address even though I have checked the “enable jffs scripts and configs” at the admin section.

Able to change but on reboot (wl0 & wl1) it reverts back to original MAC address even though I have checked the “enable jffs scripts and configs” at the admin section.
OK, the only combination of settings that work (after a reboot) for my router (see sig.) are as follows.

This sets the MAC address for the WAN, LAN and 2.4GHz radio
nvram set et0macaddr="30:5A:3A:C7:9A:20"
nvram commit

This sets the MAC address for the 5GHz radio
nvram set 1:macaddr="30:5A:3A:C7:AA:24"
nvram commit

I've not found a way of setting separate addresses for the WAN, LAN and 2.4Ghz radio. If case you're wondering, setting 0:macaddr does not work.

EDIT: After more than a year :rolleyes: I eventually tested this on an RT-N66U running 3.0.0.4.382.51640. I can confirm that on this firmware (and presumably current Merlin) it is no longer possible to change the WiFi MAC addresses using nvram variables. It is still possible to change the WAN and LAN addresses using et0macaddr. The WAN MAC address can also be changed using the option in the GUI.

Last edited:
The method you described above only works for changing LAN mac address. It doesn't change WAN or 2.4GHz radio mac address.

The method for changing 5GHz radio mac address don't work at all. What works for changing the both radio's mac address is the one you posted yesterday, which is below. However, on reboot they disappear.

nvram set wl0_hwaddr="BC:EE:7B:C3:78:A8"
nvram set wl1_hwaddr="BC:EE:7B:C3:78:AC"
nvram commit
reboot

What brand router are you using. Mine is Asus RT AC68U running merlin FW 384.4_2.

Well I've been testing it all morning with various combinations and those are my results. But I'm using John's firmware on an RT-AC68U/A2 so it's likely things are different in Merlin's.

How are you determining that the changes are taking effect before you reboot. They should have no effect until you reboot.:confused:

How are you determining that the changes are taking effect before you reboot. They should have no effect until you reboot.:confused:

After nvram commit and before rebooting, just refresh the page and I can see it is being updated. I can run this command before reboot and it is still there.

Code:
nvram show | grep 'wl[01]_hwaddr' | sort

Once reboot, it reverts back to the original mac address.

After nvram commit and before rebooting, just refresh the page and I can see it is being updated. I can run this command before reboot and it is still there.
That's just cosmetic. It's re-reading the NVRAM variables but they haven't actually done anything yet. To see the MAC addresses that are actually in use you need to issue the following command:

ifconfig -a

Last edited:
I have an old linksys router which I flashed Tomato V1.28 by Shibby to test. The opposite happens on reboot. That is LAN & WAN mac address disappears on reboot while the 2.4GHz radio (Wl0) stays. I am puzzled!

Btw, you mentioned John's firmware - could you kindly post the link or tell me

I have an old linksys router which I flashed Tomato V1.28 by Shibby to test. The opposite happens on reboot. That is LAN & WAN mac address disappears on reboot while the 2.4GHz radio (Wl0) stays. I am puzzled!
Doesn't sound surprising at all. It's completely different hardware and firmware.

Btw, you mentioned John's firmware - could you kindly post the link or tell me
It's the sticky at the top of this forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v32e4.18914/