What's new

Channel configuration for multiple AP's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rokahn

New Around Here
I have multiple RT-AC68U's with one configured as a router/access point and others in access point mode. For 5GHz frequency, they share a single SSID and WPA pre-shared key. This allows client to switch between access points when roaming within my home (with "stickiness" configurable in client wifi driver). With "control channel"=auto, RT-AC68U defaults all access points to use channel range "149-153" (at least on my network).

Might this result in unnecessary interference so I should manually configure each access point to use a different range? Alternatively, does the AC68U's beam steering minimize interference and it's actually better for some reason to have them on the same channel?

Multiple APs should always be set to different channels. Otherwise they will be sharing the same bandwidth and you will get lower total throughput.

Also, same channel for different AP's overlap eachother, making the controlling of "stickiness" harder for clients.

I dont know for 5 ghz, but for 2.4ghz we use a pattern called "behive", basically setting up the channels 1,6 and 11 in rotating turns, since 1,6,11 is the only isolated full / real channels on a 2.4ghz network, all other close channels "eats" bandwith from its neighbouring channels.

I can imagine its sort of the same principles at 5ghz aswell regarding channels.

I live in a large house with a very remote garage and I'd like to have Wi-Fi everywhere - so I need a total of three access points (upstairs, basement, and garage - all connected via CAT-6). I get the 1-6-11 channel spacing thing for three 2.4 GHz access points. What about the 5 GHz band? Is there a similar channel strategy for 5 GHz? Yes, I've searched (both here and on Google) and have come up empty.

thanks!

All 5 GHz channels are spaced so they don't overlap when you are using only one channel at a time, i.e. 20 MHz mode. This provides 8 channels in the U.S.

40 MHz mode uses two adjacent channels at a time. This reduces the effective non overlapping channel count to four.

80 MHz mode (802.11ac) uses four adjacent channels, reducing the non overlapping channel count to two.

The good news is that higher attenuation of 5 GHz signals means they don't go as far. So neighboring networks are as big an interference source.

You can reuse channels whose signals don't collide. So you could reuse the 5 GHz channel on floor 1 on floor 3, for example.

Thanks, Tim! I'm in the middle of setting up and configuring new router #3, and your input is very timely.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!