What's new

cheap AX Asus Router for Quest 2 PCVR over virtual desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

urAverageWiFinerd802

New Around Here
Hi everyone

I have following issue:
I have 2 U6-Pros from Ubiquiti Networks as my main WiFi. Virtual Desktop uses a very low bitrate if its set to automatically find out the right bitrate. If I manually set it to 400mbit/s, it works flawlessly though. It is not the right solution because if I move my head the picture quality starts to suffer.
The cause for the low bitrate of virtual desktop is apparently a bug or not controllable feature in the Firmware of those APs because others have that too (speeds ramp up slowly - google it and you find multible reports of others having that issue).

Also I want a seperate AP on another channel to not interfer with other users on the main WiFi. I have been searching a bit and heard Asus seems to be king with single client speeds??? I also heard about Asuswrt Merlin which sounds really amazing. Because I want to thinker around with scripts, I want it to be compatible with AsusWRT Merlin.

Does anyone know a good and cheap model that would suit me? I dont want it to hurt my wallet (max. 170 CHF).

It has to be WiFi 6 capable due to WiFi 5 not being sufficient in my case (I tried and had a worse picture quality and more jitter with WiFi 5 than with wifi6 {both channel 64 which is the least utilised channel in my area aka nobody is using it and only one of the tested APs was active at a time}).

The Asus Router has to be a simple Access Point with switch. I have an Router and a firewall already including DHCP-Server.

the only client connected to the Asus AP: Meta Quest 2
layout of how I plan to do the setup:
Ethernet: --------
WiFi: |

PC ---- ASUS ---- Firewall/Router ----- main wifi
|
Quest 2

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question and have a nice day :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!