What's new

Cisco Gets Serious About Small Biz Storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corndog

Regular Contributor
Hmmmmm,

Ok, I just read and re-read the article a couple times, and I'm quite sure I didn't miss anything. You actually managed to announce this new Cisco line without a single mention of QNAP. What - did Cisco just put their own logo on a sticky label and plop it right over the QNAP logo?

Or Synology.

You know something that I don't?

I quickly compared the rear images of cisco and qnap boxes and they look identical. Not sure what's inside, but it looks like the exactly alike.

Definately a rebranded QNAP

Just purchased a TS-659 Pro last month for personal use. The company I work for is a Cisco partner and we're trying to get a demo unit in for free to evaluate, however I would bet a month's salary Cisco struck a deal with Qnap to rebrand their current line of SMB NAS.
All the boxes look indentical to the existing Qnap's with the same feature set, wish I would have waited now because I could have purchased the 6 bay Cisco device for 70% off list through my employer.

I have seen two reports that mention QNAP. One says "Cisco has partnered with QNAP" and the other says "The products are based on hardware and software from QNAP".

Neither report quotes its source and there was no mention of QNAP in Cisco's release.

I have asked QNAP and Cisco for comment, but don't really expect that either can or will say anything.

Questions are starting to crop up on QNAP's forum about this also, but none of them are getting any replies...

More than just a re-label

Leigh from Cisco here. Yes, QNAP is our OEM partner for Cisco Smart Storage, but it’s more than just a re-label.

By selecting QNAP as the OEM manufacturer, our goal was to combine QNAP’s expertise in storage solutions with Cisco’s Small Business expertise, delivering a unique storage solution for small businesses and the channel partners that serve them.

In particular, we amp’d up the service/support for the product, and added applications that extend security beyond the NAS and make network management easier (integrated syslog and RADIUS servers), as well as added apps that make it better for small businesses (not just a web server but integrated WordPress as well).

And more apps to come in the future – always interested in what you’d like to see on the roadmap.

NOTE! I have emailed the poster at their registered address to confirm their identity and have not received a response. Tim Higgins

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other differences?

Thanks for the response Leigh!

As a Cisco partner, I'll be selling my QNAP branded and purchasing Cisco :)

Couple questions:
Great to hear Cisco has added a few things, but has anything been removed?
Do you know what ver. of QNAP firmware this is mirroring?

Cheers!

I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but all QNAP NASes has disappeared from Newegg.com. But the new Cisco ones are listed...

Maybe they are buying them. Would only make since :)

Or could be a NewEgg glitch.

QNAP NASes still available plenty of other places. Check Pricegrabber and Amazon.

Well Since no one is replying i start digging a bit for myself.

1. While thiggins is right about Qnap still listed on Amazone, but that is limited to entry level product. None of the Large Online Retailer have any Qnap Dual Core Atom series in stock.

2. TS 259 Pro used cost $599, the new Cisco NAS is priced @ $649 on Newegg.com
So it is 50 Dollars more expensive to get Cisco brand.

3. But Cisco give you 5 years warranty. Compare to 3 years previously

4. ALL NAS + HDD are rip off!. A Driveless NAS cost 599 / 649, a NAS + 2 2TB Drive Cost 1199 -1299. The Drive only cost $100 each for pete sake.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detective work, Iwod. I have not received a reply from anyone at Cisco, including "Leigh_at_cisco".

Until I receive an official response, I consider that post as bogus.

@iwod, well generally enterprise drives are included, they are not 100$ each.

that said, included drives are almost always overpriced for what you can buy yourself (even the same enterprise models).

Where's QNAP @ NEWEGG

Greetings to all - read the article and found it interesting. I then buzzed over th the NEWEGG site and searched for CISCO in thier NAS section on found 10 or 11 items that all look like re-dressed QNAP products. Then I searched for QNAP @ NEWEGG in the NAS area and didnt find a one.
They do have QNAP products in their Surveillance server area ..... Question as Tim mentioned about the other two vendors that purchased their NAS tech ... are we seeing the same thing w QNAP! ... Like LINKSYS... Big fish eats small fish.

I asked QNAP whether they have discontinued any products. This is the response:

There is no plan for QNAP to discontinue the Atom based NASes. Our product is widely available in worldwide channel, in US TS-x59 Pro is available in amazon, mwave, excaliberpc, etc. lots of online channels and also System Integrators can buy those from Ingram Micro.

Interesting, When i search yesterday there are NO x59 products shipping DIRECTLY from amazon. Now they are all back.

Something happening in the background we dont know of?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!