What's new

Cisco Gets Serious About Small Biz Storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just wondering ...

Just wondering from a (happy) QNAP customer perspective, is this alleged Cisco OEM partnership generally considered a good development or a bad one?

- I mean will this partnership strengthen QNAP's position on the NAS market or weaken it?
- And isn't the fact that Cisco has chosen QNAP over Synology/Thecus/Netgear etc. a good thing as well?
- Or is this the beginning of the end, e.g. Cisco will buy QNAP?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the detective work, Iwod. I have not received a reply from anyone at Cisco, including "Leigh_at_cisco".

Until I receive an official response, I consider that post as bogus.
I heard back from Leigh (Martin). She is Solutions Marketing Manager for Smart Storage at Cisco. She said "The views expressed in my post are mine, but informed by my position working closely with the product."

So the post is real.

Just wondering from a (happy) QNAP customer perspective, is this alleged Cisco OEM partnership generally considered a good development or a bad one?

- I mean will this partnership strengthen QNAP's position on the NAS market or weaken it?
- And isn't the fact that Cisco has chosen QNAP over Synology/Thecus/Netgear etc. a good thing as well?
- Or is this the beginning of the end, e.g. Cisco will buy QNAP?

Any thoughts?
Given previous aquisitions (NETGEAR / Infrant, EMC / Iomega), I'm surprised that Cisco just didn't buy QNAP. But, at any rate, it certainly is a vote of confidence by Cisco in QNAP. Cisco isn't going to risk its reputation by sourcing bad technology.

On the other hand, I've seen small companies get consumed by the requirements of a much larger partner. Certainly the potential is there for that.

In the end, time will tell.

Thanks for your thoughts, you're right we'll have to wait and see what will happen but as a QNAP customer I'm somehow feeling optimistic at the moment about this new partnership with Cisco, it has great potential for both companies.

Being the first NAS manufacturer with IPv6 support maybe was a better move by QNAP than I first thought. :)

Last edited:
Given previous aquisitions (NETGEAR / Infrant, EMC / Iomega), I'm surprised that Cisco just didn't buy QNAP. But, at any rate, it certainly is a vote of confidence by Cisco in QNAP. Cisco isn't going to risk its reputation by sourcing bad technology.

On the other hand, I've seen small companies get consumed by the requirements of a much larger partner. Certainly the potential is there for that.

In the end, time will tell.

Consider the possibility that QNAP would sell to Cisco under certain circumstances. i.e. keep development in Taiwan, keep manufacturing in Taiwan, etc... Partnering with them for a round of product gives Cisco an opportunity to "kick the tires" and see if QNAP is a worthy acquisition.

Just a thought.

Consider the possibility that QNAP would sell to Cisco under certain circumstances. i.e. keep development in Taiwan, keep manufacturing in Taiwan, etc... Partnering with them for a round of product gives Cisco an opportunity to "kick the tires" and see if QNAP is a worthy acquisition.
That could very well be what is happening. We'll just have to wait and see.

Hi, if you already have Cisco NAS, could you please check if it has the IP cameras connection feature as Conap has. I cannot find this feature on the Cisco website. Did they remove it?

Actually, has Leigh_at_cisco offered a Cisco nas for SNB testing? I would love to see how the new nas stacks up against the Qnap original. Who knows what type of tweaks were done under the hood...

Actually, has Leigh_at_cisco offered a Cisco nas for SNB testing? I would love to see how the new nas stacks up against the Qnap original. Who knows what type of tweaks were done under the hood...

I wouldn't count on tweaks at this point in time. If anything I would expect firmware releases to come more slowly for the Cisco branded versions due to validation of firmware quality before release.

I agree with Claykin.

No response at all from the Cisco folks who handle review product (Leigh does not).

[COMPARISON] QNAP vs. Cisco - I have both

I have both QNAP TS-659 and Cisco NSS326 (Identical Models).

Here's the comparisons in a nutshell (more details at: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30932)

Cisco's NSS326 is current at Rev 3.2.6 vs. QNAP's latest 3.3 release which introduces additional features. I HOPE Cisco will follow shortly, although I'm not overly hopeful from the conversations at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2027041

- Cisco has deleted the IP Surveillance Camera feature
- Cisco has added Syslog feature (Yay!)
- Cisco has added Radius Server

Cosmetically, Cisco has removed the keylock to a 'slide lock' on the hard drive bays.

Opinion: Cosmetically Cisco is nicer looking
Opinion: Cisco's GUI although not having as much eye candy and the initial cute little graphical "cover flow" type of login screen - is nicer. Its more organized with some of the menu items in a more intuitive section vs. QNAP. Plus QNAP's cool graphics are nice the first few times you login, after that you just want to get at the menu's fast to do what you want to do - Cisco excels here.

The concern about hard drive temperature being higher in Cisco vs. QNAP due to Cisco covering the airflow slots on the HD sleeves is a non-issue. Both units are running at the identical temperatures (within 1 degree) in both idle and during an intensive sync session between them.

Cisco's warranty is also better at 5 years vs 1-3 depending on where you buy.

For those Cisco partners out there (as I am) you will not get your normal NFR discount on these units, its substantially less. Although the discount level we got still made it worth purchasing over a QNAP.

Summary: Depending on which features are important to you (Syslog, Radius, Warranty vs. Video Surveillance) this is how you'd make your choice.

Although I REALLY DO HOPE Cisco adopts the v3.3 firmware VERY FAST as it fixes media server issues, and introduces many new features that I'd like to have on both NAS's.

Cheers

Do you know if they have any plans on bringing more consumer oriented drives to market (thus less costly ones, based on Qnap's Marvell line for instance)?

Do you know if they have any plans on bringing more consumer oriented drives to market (thus less costly ones, based on Qnap's Marvell line for instance)?
No. Cisco does not share future product plans with me.

It's good that Cisco hasn't (yet?) acquired Qnap. Many (most?) of their acquisitions of small start-ups led to the principals leaving and the product gets lost in the soup. Aironet and Linksys are notable exceptions - but Linksys was a subsidary (arms-length) for a long time.

Many of us Fortune 500's, long been a Cisco partner, are treated like crap by Cisco's arrogant sales and support staff. The products are good, for the most part. Their growing pro services division competes with their own customers. Maybe Cisco sees that, like IBM, they have to morph from products to services to survive, given price competition.

see also this recent memo, obtained from the Internet

-------------------------------------------------------------

Message from John Chambers:

As many of you know, my values and approach to leadership are grounded in part by what I learned from my parents. Both doctors, they taught me to fuel what's healthy and to heal what's not. They taught me to seek solutions to challenges, not symptoms. Over the years as your leader here at Cisco, I've also learned many things. I've learned to read market transitions by listening deeply to our customers and partners. And I've learned to adjust when and where it's needed, quickly and transparently.

With this in mind, I'd like to share with you my thoughts about Cisco, as Gary Moore also shares his perspective after the first 30 days as our COO. About what's working well and is fundamental to who we are and what we stand for. And about aspects of Cisco today we need to change, what you can expect from me and what I expect from you as we execute against our decisions and move forward, together.

First, as always, let's start with our customers. I've spent significant time recently reaching out to many of them around the world. I've had extremely candid conversations about why they buy Cisco, why they don't, and what they think we do best. These conversations reinforce what I have known to be true about Cisco: our customers believe we are a company of passionate people that take time to imagine what's possible, and to do what it takes to make them successful.

I've also solicited very direct feedback from many of you-as individuals, in small group meetings and through your participation in my blog postings and our CEC discussion forums (internal Cisco forums). You are telling me that there is a reason you are at Cisco - our culture, our values, our vision. You've also made it very clear that we must make it simpler to do the work we love to do, and to accelerate the impact we know we are making for our customers.

It is clear to me that we have incredible foundational strengths - our people, our relationships, our innovation and our strategy to extend the role of the network. We have anticipated market transitions and made good decisions in capturing them. We are disrupting the data center space. We are redefining the collaboration market. And we have gone big on video, a market that is changing society and business completely.

We are a $40B company that for the last decade has seen a virtual explosion in market opportunity. The Internet has taken on an entirely new form- and our growth strategy has been based on capturing the incredible opportunity afforded by this massive demand for the network. Many say that in the face of this expansion, Cisco needs more discipline. I agree.

To be clear, I am confident that our vision and fundamental strategy is right -we are aggressively capturing the opportunity to take the network where our customers need it to be. No one has the breadth and scale of Cisco in networking. No one has Cisco's breadth of innovation, the scale and reach of our customer delivery model or our talent and expertise. Cisco's value to our customers is differentiated and it is simple: we globally deliver network-centric platforms that make them more competitive. Our strategy is just as clear-we are extending the network platform to enable collaboration, data center / cloud transformation and video architectures that expand our technology and business relevance to customers and partners on a global scale.

As I've said, our strategy is sound. It is aspects of our operational execution that are not. We have been slow to make decisions, we have had surprises where we should not, and we have lost the accountability that has been a hallmark of our ability to execute consistently for our customers and our shareholders. That is unacceptable. And it is exactly what we will attack.

Cisco's mission-on each of our badges-is to shape the future of the Internet by creating unprecedented value and opportunity for our customers, employees, investors and partners. Barring the tech downturn over a decade ago, few have questioned Cisco's ability to achieve this mission in our 26+ years as a company. Time and again we've had the vision to take the network to places most argued was not possible. Cisco is a great company - we have much to be proud of, and much to look forward to.

That said, today we face a simple truth: we have disappointed our investors and we have confused our employees. Bottom line, we have lost some of the credibility that is foundational to Cisco's success - and we must earn it back. Our market is in transition, and our company is in transition. And the time is right to define this transition for ourselves and our industry. I understand this. It's time for focus.

We now need to prepare ourselves for what's next, as you will see Cisco make a number of targeted moves in the coming weeks and as we move into FY12. These actions will be based on uncompromising integrity and will represent a very simple set of guiding principles:

1. We will not fix what's not broken. There are numerous areas where we're executing incredibly well for our customers and partners. In these areas, you will see no disruption and you will see nothing less than support and empowerment. Simply put, we will not get in the way of our success. Our five company priorities are established: leadership in core routing, switching and services; collaboration; data center virtualization and cloud; architectures; and video. The importance of delivery to market through our partners is also clear - and we will do nothing but reinforce this.

2. We will take bold steps and we will make tough decisions. With change comes disruption, and you will see this necessary and healthy disruption as we make meaningful decisions in a timely, targeted and measureable way. We will address with surgical precision what we need to fix in our portfolio and what we need to better enable.

3. We will accelerate our leadership across our five priorities and compete to win in the core. Again, our strategy to extend the role of the network will not change. Our approach to leadership in the core amidst this transition will change. In switching we understand that our customers are buying across broader segments and specific needs in this market. We understand that our competitors in this area are fierce, with different business models and architectures. We will not be defined by them. Most important, we understand that our customers want to stay and grow with Cisco. They know we will partner with them to make their business successful and their technology investment sound. They know us well and understand that we will not leave or devalue this business. We need to give them the right reasons to make this transition with us, and we will.

4. We will make it easier for you to work at Cisco, as we make it easier for our customers and partners to work with Cisco. We will simplify the way we work and how we focus our attention and resources. We will significantly rework our systems, tools and funding models to do this. We will reshape the operational foundation in order to empower our teams, integrate our major functions, and allow our people to focus on inspiring and important work. We created the role of COO to expedite this effort and Gary Moore and I will drive these changes with the leadership team.

We are all responsible for driving operational excellence across Cisco. As you'd expect, I'm asking each of you to play your part in this transition. The responsibility does not fall on one leader or one team. It will not be easy and I expect your participation, flexibility and feedback along the way. As I've said before, we will look back at this time in Cisco's history and remember it as challenging, and important to the future of our company. Plain and simple - we need to roll up our sleeves and work it out, together. I'm ready, your leadership team is ready, and I know you are ready.

I want to leave you with a question: what do you want Cisco to be? I want it to be a company that keeps changing the way the world lives, works, plays and learns. A company that knows how to win and intends to continue that track record. A company that's taking the network where it needs to be, with focus. And at a place that puts people, customers and communities at the core of its values. That's Cisco, no excuses.

Thank you for being part of Cisco. You have my commitment, my respect and my appreciation. Let's define and win this transition together. This is our start.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/131...n-chambers-ibm-hp-accenture.htm#ixzz1Ilyz0xHh

Last edited:
No. Cisco does not share future product plans with me.

Yeah, that's is sad, I like cisco but 1. price is rather high 2. the NSS line has no bitorrent support, even when low-end ShareCenter DNS-320 and DNS-325 from d-link have it. Unacceptable if you ask me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!