What's new

Coax jack in one room, TV in the other... How do I bridge the gap?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

luismiguel2001us

New Around Here
Hi folks,

I have a setup problem for some of you experts out there. Here is the scenario. I have a satellite dish with a coax jack in one room. The TV is in the living room downstairs. I can't pull wires since the house uses poured concrete for the walls and ceiling. I also don't believe that wireless HD adapters like Rocketfish would work since it can't get through walls.

So either a wireless or powerline connection is an option for me at this point. I somehow want the coax jack connected to a device that would allow me to get the set top box & DVR combo and my HDTV somehow all playing nice together. What products or options could I chose? Thank you so much for your help folks.

Cheers,
Luis

I bought a pair of MoCa modems (D-Link). Provides IP (RJ45 jacks) at 70Mbps net yield and uses the TV coax to carry the OFDM data signal on unused frequencies on the cable.

Works well. Simple layer 2 bridge - transparent.

Hi Stevetech,

Thanks for your reply. I may not know enough about MoCa routers, but I thought that they are used to send data streams over coax cables. Unfortunately the downstairs living room where I have the TV does not have a coax jack. The only coax jack in the house is just upstairs from the living room in the family room. I only have wall plugs for power in the living room. Hence I need something that allows me to get the HD signal to the downstairs living room either over the air or through power cables. Can MoCa be used for this scenario or is there another solution that will do the trick?

Cheers,
Luis

There is no box that I know of that takes a Satellite TV signal and converts it to a digital stream that can then be sent via Ethernet, wireless or powerline.

Multi-room satellite setups (HD DVR master and HD Sat STBs [no DVR]) usually rely on distribution via coax.

You're going to have to get the satellite cable to the room where the TV is. Down the outside wall may be ugly, but it will work and requires only one hole in the wall.

Hi Tim,

I have been looking around for a possible solution, and I am wondering if you can give me your opinion if the following setup would accomplish what I am trying to do.

Coax Jack --> Set-top box --> Hava Monsoon HD --> Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Kit --> HTPC --> TV

So I am thinking to connect the set top box to the Coax jack. From the set-top box I would connect a Hava Monsoon Titanium HD. Then I would connect the Hava box to a Belking Gigabit Powerline HD box. This way, the HD signal would travel over the power line down to the living room and to the other Belkin Powerline box. There I would connect the Belkin to a Home Theater PC which would then connect to the television. The only thing that I have not figured out yet is how to control the set top box. I assume that there is some sort of remote control range extender that may work. I don't know if this would offer a decent quality picture and sound on the TV, not to mention if it would even work. Any thoughts on this setup? Am I crazy for trying this? Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Luis

You could try it (paired with an appropriate remote extender or RF remote. But don't expect a full HD picture.

Honestly, running the satellite cable down an outside wall and drilling one hole is a lot cheaper way to go and you'll be much happier with the result.

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your opinion. It is much appreciated. I'll see if I can a get to run a wire downstairs. That's probably a cheaper option than all the gear that I would need anyways.

Cheers,
Luis

Thank you so much for your opinion. It is much appreciated. I'll see if I can a get to run a wire downstairs. That's probably a cheaper option than all the gear that I would need anyways.
That's good to hear. Trust me. You will be much happier with the result!

browse the forums or ask the gang on
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/

They use HD Homerun and other boxes that grab HDMI and output H.264 or MPEG4.

Then, it's 802.11n or 802.11a, I'd say. HD overtaxes 802.11g, esp. in 2.4GHz rather than 5.8GHz.

But doing these is digitizing to IP, the hard way.
Assuming you can't get a coax into that room which is the only simple way.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!