What's new

Comcast wants me to upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wow buying a modem while paying for subscription how different here it is in netherlands most customer just get the Sagemcom F3896 and boom thats it free of charge

Dont have Comcast but if their not suggesting a 4.0 modem I'm stumped what 3.1 modem can do better..
Do DOCSIS 4 modems exist? I haven't been able to find any.

wow buying a modem while paying for subscription how different here it is in netherlands most customer just get the Sagemcom F3896 and boom thats it free of charge
Sounds great. If somehow Trump regains the US presidency, will you sponsor me & my wife & dog to move to Netherlands?

Yeah, that's something that the US carriers do - at least most of them...

5G-FWA - one doesn't have much of a choice other than the provided CPE - but there, at least for now, there is no "rental" fees...

Not sure how we got there... I'm sure it has to do with the run of MBA and JD programs at our major universities at the expense of more useful engineering degrees...

Today I finally replaced my old Motorola MB8600 with a new Hitron CODA56 modem as recommended by Comcast.

The automatic activation took about a half hour and worked well. I didn't have to phone Comcast. I just had to remember to disable WiFi on my iPhone before activating.

I am seeing absolutely no difference when running Speedtest. My upload speeds are still in the 40 Mbps range, nowhere near 200.

Sounds great. If somehow Trump regains the US presidency, will you sponsor me & my wife & dog to move to Netherlands?
Im surprised you havent left with the current one in :)

I am seeing absolutely no difference when running Speedtest. My upload speeds are still in the 40 Mbps range, nowhere near 200

Then your area (Node) has not been upgraded to next gen midsplit. Or you have something on your line preventing it from working. Call Comcast and ask why it don't work.

Then your area (Node) has not been upgraded to next gen midsplit. Or you have something on your line preventing it from working. Call Comcast and ask why it don't work.
I called them. They were no help. The agent suggested there was something wrong with my new modem. I doubt it.

I am seeing absolutely no difference when running Speedtest. My upload speeds are still in the 40 Mbps range, nowhere near 200.

I suppose you're back in the fold of supported devices, so if/when the mid-splits happen, you'll be good to go...

Upgrading a modem isn't going to change the bandwidth in your rate-plan - that bandwidth, believe it or not, is done upstream in their core, not on the edge...

In LTE speak, it's the PCRF/PCEF function - one is given a block of bits at a given rate - and once that bucket of bits is emptied, it's filled again, at a given rate...

Comcast has been nagging me for months about how one of these 5 modems would rock my upload world. I spent $140 on the CODA56. Liars. Emphasis mine:

Faster internet speeds now available

Upgrade your internet equipment today!

Good news
You can now enjoy up to 5-10x faster upload speeds and smoother connections with your current Xfinity Internet package.

Easy next steps
Your internet equipment is unable to deliver these new speeds, but here’s a list of compatible devices to purchase:

• Hiltron Technologies CODA
Hiltron Technologies CODA56
• NETGEAR CM3000
• NETGEAR CBR750
• ARRIS SURFboard G54

I am chatting with Comcast now and the agent says my area/node is provisioned for next gen midsplit. The agent really wants to blame my equipment.

Last edited:
Finally, after 2 days of back-and-forth with Comcast, they admitted fault a few minutes ago. Now we'll see how long they take to fix it.

I noticed something that was off with the way the modem was listed on my end, and I think this would be the cause of the slower speeds. It looks like the bootfile we had for your modem doesn't show registered as one with next generation speeds, so this would essentially block the modem from getting the higher upload speeds. I attempted get that corrected on my side, but it wasn't successfully updating. Not to worry though, I have worked with one of our repair teams to help us get this corrected and they are working to get that updated for us! I don't have a timeline just yet on when that will be completed, but typically we see a turnaround time of 24-72 hours. A ticket was created on our end to be able to track this, so I will be keeping an eye on this for you to provide updates once available!

Now SNB Forum members want you to upgrade your 10+ years old RT-AC68U. What you are going to do about it? 🤪

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!