What's new

Commscope amp entry splitter MoCA network- will this be my controller node or do i need a node off my router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsc150

New Around Here
I have xfinity , internet and cable with 4 drops at NON-MoCA amp splitter want to change to MoCA amplified splitter, 3 drops go directly to 3 rooms ( no splitters) for TV # 4 exits VOIP and goes to my modem/router leased Equipment > to work from home computer , I want to buy the MoCA amplified splitter & 7250's adapters as well as my own modem & router but I need guidance, please - I will install a 2-way splitter @POE #1 side to modem for computer and # 2 side to amplified Commscope ? Or can I pass #1 from the VOIP outlet as it is now ? I believed that they needed split by the 2-way as I've been searching - but I want to do this right - I will continue on once I get initial entry splitter design configuration, thanx dsc

A “designed for MoCA” amplifier can be a one-to-one replacement for a non-MoCA amp. Most such amps are designed to facilitate MoCA communication between all output ports, including between the amplified outputs and passive “VoIP” output port, and have a built-in MoCA filter to block MoCA communication via the input port. (Re: this latter point, check the specs for the amp; if the spec’d attenuation is below 50 dB, consider adding a MoCA filter on the input port, to prevent MoCA signal leakage onto the provider.)

A few “designed for MoCA” 5-output (4+1) amps:
  • Antronix MVRA502B
  • PPC PPC-5M-U/U
  • CommScope CSMAPDU5VPI

Or can I pass #1 from the VOIP outlet as it is now ?
If there’s just a single coax line to the modem+router location, that line will need to carry both DOCSIS (cable Internet) and MoCA signals, so you’d need to have the modem on the downstream side of the amp, via the passive “VoIP” port or one of the amplified outputs, owing to the built-in MoCA filter in a “designed for MoCA” amp.

Were there dual coax lines between the junction and modem+router location, you’d benefit by using the 2-way splitter as described in the OP, to isolate the ISP/modem feed from the MoCA coax segment, adding a 70 dB MoCA filter on the amp input port to ensure MoCA isolation, future-proofing the setup for DOCSIS 3.1+. (Barring dual coax lines to the modem location, ISP/modem isolation is also possible if an adjacent room’s coax path can be used for the main MoCA/Ethernet bridge.)

Related:

A “designed for MoCA” amplifier can be a one-to-one replacement for a non-MoCA amp. Most such amps are designed to facilitate MoCA communication between all output ports, including between the amplified outputs and passive “VoIP” output port, and have a built-in MoCA filter to block MoCA communication via the input port. (Re: this latter point, check the specs for the amp; if the spec’d attenuation is below 50 dB, consider adding a MoCA filter on the input port, to prevent MoCA signal leakage onto the provider.)

A few “designed for MoCA” 5-output (4+1) amps:
  • Antronix MVRA502B
  • PPC PPC-5M-U/U
  • CommScope CSMAPDU5VPI

If there’s just a single coax line to the modem+router location, that line will need to carry both DOCSIS (cable Internet) and MoCA signals, so you’d need to have the modem on the downstream side of the amp, via the passive “VoIP” port or one of the amplified outputs, owing to the built-in MoCA filter in a “designed for MoCA” amp.

Were there dual coax lines between the junction and modem+router location, you’d benefit by using the 2-way splitter as described in the OP, to isolate the ISP/modem feed from the MoCA coax segment, adding a 70 dB MoCA filter on the amp input port to ensure MoCA isolation, future-proofing the setup for DOCSIS 3.1+. (Barring dual coax lines to the modem location, ISP/modem isolation is also possible if an adjacent room’s coax path can be used for the main MoCA/Ethernet bridge.)

Related:

Thank you, that is very helpful, I know a little but it is my 1st attempt at MoCA, comcast installed the amp and that fixed bad signals yrs ago, I was just trying to do this adjustment w/o running from scratch if possible - obviously - which would be my normal way but my other half is working from home, so I'll need to keep her online ! I've had a second coax entering the same room as the modem for the TV stb - always easier for me to keep organized, Very Much Appreciated, I can start ordering supplies and will update progress

I've had a second coax entering the same room as the modem for the TV stb
If that’s a second line between the junction and modem+router location, your plan to use an initial 2-way split for the modem is the way to go … but, as mentioned, check the new amp’s specs and add a MoCA filter on the new amp’s input port to get MoCA attenuation above 70 dB.

edit: p.s. You’ll want to use MoCA-optimized 2-way splitters in rooms where you’ll have both an X1 STB and MoCA adapter.

Ok, I was looking @ the commscope amp that you listed which was MoCA ready , I was curious when all the amplified splitters I could find were only 2.0 and not 2.5 , but apparently are backwards compatible - I'll be sure all items are MoCA optimized and the filters are installed correctly - my plan was to stop wasting money on leasing, would you care to recommend a modem & router ? There are so many out there, I have a small home 35ft ranch , no exotic equipment, I don't like buying the cheapest but something middle of the road ? If you don't like doing that , I'll be cool with it - Thx D

Since the modem has to meet Xfinity's requirements, check their support pages for customer supplied modem compatibility list as a start.

when all the amplified splitters I could find were only 2.0 and not 2.5
MoCA 2.0 and 2.5 have the same spec’d frequency range, and the same requirements, so manufacturers just didn’t bother updating the labeling/documentation.

No specific router recommendation, but you’d want to decide if you’d want Internet service above 1 Gbps during the expected lifespan of the devices. (Would warrant limiting modem choices to those with 2.5 GbE WAN ports; and perhaps router selection to those with 2.5 GbE ports for both WAN and LAN.)

MoCA 2.0 and 2.5 have the same spec’d frequency range, and the same requirements, so manufacturers just didn’t bother updating the labeling/documentation.

No specific router recommendation, but you’d want to decide if you’d want Internet service above 1 Gbps during the expected lifespan of the devices. (Would warrant limiting modem choices to those with 2.5 GbE WAN ports; and perhaps router selection to those with 2.5 GbE ports for both WAN and LAN.)
Ok ,great - 1GB or under is going to be it for my home - I truly appreciate the guidance 🙏🏼

Since the modem has to meet Xfinity's requirements, check their support pages for customer supplied modem compatibility list as a start.
I did look over their website, I just figured I would throw it out there - Thank you very much, I know it's hard , only knowing little pcs of information about someone else's setup - but all the info I gather helps ! I used to be half smart but the Dr. Thought it would be a good idea for me to have gamma knife Brain surgery, I'm down to maybe 1/4 now Thx, D

Ok ,great - 1GB or under is going to be it for my home - I truly appreciate the guidance 🙏🏼
I learned the hard way. I bought an Arris SB8200 without putting much any thought into it, and later realized that it only has Gigabit ports, so no possibility of a single connection exceeding 1000 Mbps, even if paired with a router supporting WAN link aggregation. (more a speculative/theoretical issue than practical, really)

On the bright side, shortly after, I was able to get us shifted to a $25/mo 200/10 plan from Comcast, so glad we didn’t spend for a 2.5 GbE modem like the Arris S33.

I learned the hard way. I bought an Arris SB8200 without putting much any thought into it, and later realized that it only has Gigabit ports, so no possibility of a single connection exceeding 1000 Mbps, even if paired with a router supporting WAN link aggregation. (more a speculative/theoretical issue than practical, really)

On the bright side, shortly after, I was able to get us shifted to a $25/mo 200/10 plan from Comcast, so glad we didn’t spend for a 2.5 GbE modem like the Arris S33.
There's usually a bright side / which side you're standing on when it shines - that's the lucky part - I'll be sure to get the specs in my range - Thx,D

Hello,(again) Commscope Amp for MoCA- I don't see the difference in specs of these 2 models ?
CSMAPDU9VPI / CSMF1APDU9VPI is there any critical up/down side I'm missing ? I'm going to order 1 along with a MoCA 2-way to get my butt movin' - Thx Dan