What's new

Component suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hummer5

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have a spare Hp 3005mt with 400w psu and has amd athlon installed. I also have 8gb ram installed. I want to build 8tb raidz2 for multimedia streaming and file save. I was wondering if i can use the current motherboard along with the cpu or should i buy something better. Also if i can use it then what other components do i need along with this. I will try to mix the hdd. Planning to buy 6 2tb hdd and also which sata card should i go for. It will be in the storage so some noice is not going to be a big deal. Storage space is open so ventillation is not going to an issue.

Open to any suggestions.
If i have to buy i new case then i am open to that too.

Thanks in advance.

Suggestion: Decide what functionality you need, beyond just a disk farm, such as multimedia, FTP, automated backup, time machine functionality, and simple to use for administration.

Then see what freeware or equivalent you can find that meets the above.

When I did this, and did on-line try-before-buy, I elected to buy rather than make.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply but I would like to see what all my options are. The space I need will cost me a ton and I can make 3 of them for what the premade company are selling for post hdd installation.

Wouldn't hurt if you just get the HDD and the SATA controller and try. From what I gather, for a basic file server the network connection is probably more of a potential bottleneck than the other hardware when we're talking "real" hardware (not those MIPS processors used in low-end NAS). The HDD will be useful no matter what and at worst you may find the SATA controller unnecessary should you get a mainboard with that many SATA ports built-in in future.

Cheers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!